battery life sucks after root

Last Updated:

1. silentronin

silentronin Active Member This Topic's Starter

so i rotoed my phone last night and now my battery life is terrible. i used unrevoked3 and have not added any roms. i did download titanium backup and wireless tether from the market. it doesn't look like anything is using phone needlessly, nothing with long process times or keeping phone from sleeping. i have noticed that phone seems faster than before. i am using battery indicator and just using my browser for a few minutes my battery dropped from 96% to 91%. i guess i'm asking is this normal or do i need to look deeper for the cause of this? oh yeah, i don't use my phone much during the day while working but i have had to charge it twice today just to make it through the day. thanks for any help anybody can give.

Advertisement
  2. Eris Lover

Eris Lover Well-Known Member

If all you did was root, really shouldn't have changed anything that would eat battery. Any other changes or additions?
    Unrvoked3 and forever?

3. Kev13Dd

Kev13Dd Active Member

Same here

No idea why, but battery life probably was cut in half at least. Probably going to install an actual ROM just to see if it goes away

K

4. silentronin

no, just unrevoked3. i don't get it. makes no sense to me.

5. Eris Lover

yeah, super wierd?

6. silentronin

maybe i should just give it a day or two and see how it does. could just be a fluke.

7. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

your rooting has nothing to do with battery life if you did not flash a new radio, kernel or ROM

Eris Lover likes this.
  8. silentronin

i assumed as much, it's just wierd that battery was much better before i rooted. i haven't downloaded anything new before i did. afterwards i downloaded titanium backup and wireless tether, have not used either one yet.

9. Eris Lover

How about now that your rooted you find the instructions for correctly bump charging your batt and using clockwork mod to reset your batt stats.

silentronin likes this.
  10. silentronin

cool, i can try that. i was reading about that a couple of days ago.

11. one11sgt

one11sgt Well-Known Member

Same here. Used unrevoked3. No other changes. Battery life is terrible now. For those of you who say one has nothing to do with the other.....you are wrong. This is the second time I have rooted since having the phone with the same result. Once with 2.1 and now with 2.2

12. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

I'm running CyanogenMod 6.1 (stable with invisiblek #18 kernel and BatteryLeft right now reports a 68 hour battery life. I use the phone lightly and mostly as an mp3 player (siriusxm, last.fm and mixzing music player) and for emails. This morning after 24 hours of use I was still at 70% battery.

With the Virtuous 3.1 ROM and heyitslou's #5 kernel I was able to get 33 hours of battery life.

13. neomaxim

neomaxim Member

silentronin..this is normal for a incredible whether rooted or not. It has to do with the way the software charges/reads battery capacity. The 10% from 90-100 usually burns very quickly. I just rooted and put miui on for a ROM. I have seen at least 6-7 more hours while using the phone heavily. If i dont use it much during the day im seeing up around 15 hours of total battery use.

14. silentronin

I noticed. I have since flashed lou's senseless rom using the stock kernel and have the best battery life of ask the other roms I have tried. I was using virtuous but started getting random boots. I also sucked it up and bought a spare battery.

15. hgoldner

hgoldner Well-Known Member

Reset the battery settings; the Dinc post-root will apply the old readings and miscalculate available charge.

I did that using Battery Left and suddenly saw a marked improvement.

Incidentally, rooting alone will not necessarily improve battery life. Installing a ROM that doesn't have the Verizon-always-on-bloatware will help, as will installing a different kernel, or running apps like SetCPU which only run on rooted Dincs and which will underclock the unit when it is not in use.

I get close to 24 hours battery life running Virtuous ROM 3.1 with stock kernel and letting SetCPU underclock. The Battery Left widget is finally figuring out how much charge I really have left.

*UPDATE* I've since flashed HeyIt'sLou's kernels 3, 4 and currently running 7. I've pretty much disabled SetCPU except for when I'm charging (so the kernel doesn't underclock while the phone is doing Titanium backups). Battery life is even better, even with the stock battery.

16. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

I get over 2 days of normal use with Warm Two Point Two and Lou's #4 Kernel. I'd try flashing a ROM/Kernel combo that is known to improve battery life.

CAP201012170236.jpg

17. cortecds

cortecds Well-Known Member

Did any buddy figure this out?
    I just rooted 2 days ago using unrevoked and I am lucky to get 5 hours.
    Before I could get 12-18

18. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member

I rooted my phone so I could remove all of the bloatware. I have not installed any custom ROMs, just root with bloatware removed or frozen. I have not bump charged my battery or reset any battery stats. I saw no difference in my battery life compared to before I rooted it.

19. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

rooting doesn't change how your phone operates and will have no effect on battery life. An analogy would be turning an account on a windows laptop from limited to administrator... Your just giving yourself extra permissions, no changes are made to the phone.

20. cortecds

Yes, but that is not all you are doing.
    various things are changed also.
    For example a superuser app is installed and starts to monitor permissions.
    I think my facebook syncing was turned back on and news was turned back on.
    I have now turned those back off and it seems that things are going a littel better. I am going to start reinstalling apps that are for rooted phone and see if they make a difference.

21. cortecds

Anybody WITHOUT battery problems and rooted still have Titanium installed?
    Just wondering if that is a juice hog.

22. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

Just use Astro to backup your apps, and it's free.

Crs7 likes this.
  23. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

99% of rooted users use titanium, definitely not a juice hog.

24. cortecds

I installed juice defender and that helped a lot!
    Now at 7 hours off charger used it to navigate for 20 minutes straight and still have 37%

25. Tesloid

Tesloid New Member

I noticed you said you DL'ed a wireless tethering app. I'm fairly new to the dinc, but i'm assuming that's the app that lets you "hotspot" your mobile. If that's the case, that will likely own battery life if you don't make sure it's turned off. Also, if you give yourself admin access to anything, you are automatically giving the system permission to run various apps that it couldn't before. Maybe make sure you're only running the apps and features you want to run.