Battery Life Summary Or "Let's Keep It In Perspective"General

Last Updated: 2012-11-27 07:06:48
  1. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

I know most of us have our collective panties in a ruffle over the 2020 mAh battery of the DNA. A couple of things to consider:
    • With the exception of the Razr Maxx HD and the Note 2 this phone's battery life so far appears to be no worse than any other android phone out there....certainly the equivalent (or better) to the One X, the Gnex, GSIII, (regular) Razr HD, etc.
    • The phone uses a Super LCD 3 screen which is reputed to be 2.5x as efficient as the S-LCD 2 screen it replaces
    • Instead of having two seperate radios built in and switching between one another (3g/4g) it's now all on one chip which makes this function (very) significantly more efficient than in all previous 3g/4g phones
    • The Snapdragon S4 Pro processor only uses it's four cores as needed as opposed to the Tegra chipsets that run all four all the time
    • Many have complained bitterly that the DNA does not have a user replacable battery. These folks are implying that they need to carry around a replacement battery for those times the phone runs out of juice. There are now myriad external battery packs available (many up to 8400mAh or even higher) that are hardly larger than a spare battery and cost anywhere from $29 to whatever. I'd suggest that we start thinking of these as "a spare" for phones that have no actual replacable battery
    So I think as we all angst over this we really need to keep things in perspective and appreciate what a truly amazing device this is. Sure, if we all wanted to wait for the "next greatest thing" we could wait and wait and wait, but then we'd never end up buying anything as there's always going to be a "next best thing" around the corner.

Reminds me of the concept of "paralysis by analysis" line.:D

Advertisement
    jroc, NightAngel79 and Bearcats like this.
  2. Bearcats

Bearcats Well-Known Member

Very lucid thoughts. I had already been thinking about the line in bold above. Sedio has a Vault and several other manufacturers also have version. Heck there is even one out there with 12000 Mah.

I am so excited to see the reviews come in as more and more get these phone and either prove or disprove the battery theory versus ust looking at numbers and complaining.
  3. victek

victek Well-Known Member

Generally I agree with you. For me the larger concern about the non-user-replaceable battery is can it be replaced by authorized service centers? It's depressing to think that a such a great device has to be discarded after a couple of years when the battery wears out. Until recently phones have been underpowered and we've all been happy to replace them with something better when we can upgrade, but that's changing. We are perhaps looking at the first generation of devices that are good enough to want to keep indefinitely so the thought that the battery cannot be refurbished is problematic.
  4. bgillyjcu

bgillyjcu Well-Known Member

External Batteries are so important...I'm starting a topic that I hope becomes a sticky!
  5. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Might be helpful to read this article.

From here: http://www.examiner.com/article/droid-dna-the-real-battery-test

Droid Ninja, RazorSharp and jroc like this.
  6. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

Great thread, and great responses.

It's funny for me seeing all the complaints, I have nothing but great things to say about battery
  7. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Agree so much about the battery life. I'm sorry...I have a Maxx HD...and anyone who compares the DNA to any phone named Maxx or Note.....should just stop it.

Different size batteries means it wont be a fair comparison from the get go. Thats like me comparing a phone with a stock battery to one with an extended battery. Basically thats what the Maxx phones and the Note 2 has. Should the DNA came with a bigger battery? Thats up for debate.... But when you compare it to phones with a similar size battery....it holds its own well.

I have said enough about reception areas and battery life the past few days. One more time....that is a battery killer most dont realize. And we all dont live n work in the same areas. I would even guess reviewers wont be in great reception areas during reviews all the time.
    Wolfedude88 likes this.
  8. Hoss

Hoss Member

Thanks for the post. It's hard not to panic about the batteries as someone who is stuck trying to figure out which phone to get (replacing a thunderbolt with either a DNA or Note 2) I can talk myself out of and into the two pretty easily. Big screen vs awesome screen, battery life considerations, is NFC something to consider?, Sense vs Touch wiz, external storage...my head is spinning LOL !

Thanks for all the informative posts. Somehow, it's not making it any easier. :D
  9. untitled1

untitled1 Well-Known Member

I started doing this about a year ago, and I think it's a better solution than swapping batteries anyway. My Imagio and Incredible battery doors both suffered under the strain of going on and off the phone so often, to the point where the Imagio door doesn't want to stay on the phone anymore. But my Bolt and Rezound are in much better shape because I haven't been swapping in spares.
  10. TrueMetalGeek

TrueMetalGeek Well-Known Member

I'm a HEAVY user.
    I also stream various videos and audio programs during the day.
    It don't look like I'll get over a half a day but I didn't get over half a day on the extended batteries in my Rezound, etc either and I doubt there is a phone out there including the MAXX that would go all day with me using it.

I just plug in my phone whenever I can to recharge.
    I think I'm going to get a external battery charge pack at some point.
  11. TrueMetalGeek

TrueMetalGeek Well-Known Member

A laptop with it's huge battery can't even go half a day. At least no laptops I used and they didn't even use LTE
  12. JimPap

JimPap Member

So.....how long does the battery last?
  13. Redley

Redley New Member

I am very impressed with the Razr M. I've had it for a month or so and I'm getting a day and a half to two days. I do try to keep my web browsing to a minimum but if the phone is used primarily for talking and texting, then the heaviest talker can get a full day out of it with no problem. I've actually been getting two full work days out of a charge with many phone calls.
  14. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

I've gotten 26 hours on one charge with my One X. That's with internet browsing listening to music and texting.
  15. AcesAndRum

AcesAndRum Member

Honestly I find the Airplane Mode and Mobile Internet widgets to be godsends, when I'm at work or on the train or riding I just toss it into one of those modes and it basically freezes the battery drain at where it is. I left work after an eight hour shift with almost 80% remaining by just turning off the LTE when I was on the floor, I'd still get my texts and quickly duck somewhere to fire off a reply but I was still shocked by how much I had left. If more people did things like this I'm sure battery would be alot less of an issue, I doubt anyone really unplugs their phone and uses it non stop until it drains. Use LTE when you need it and don't when you don't and you should be fine.