battery life with and without a simcard installed

Last Updated:

1. mattressback

mattressback Member This Topic's Starter

hi, 2nd question here

still in 14 day trial period with my desire so havent installed a simcard yet.

ive been pretty impressed with the battery life so far, got 30hrs+ after first charge and on the 2nd charge i enabled wifi and left it switched on, im up to 21 hours with just under 50% left.

both these runs were done without a simcard installed, when i put my sim in can i expect this to greatly impact on battery consumption? even with it set on GSM network

at the min my battery shows (cell standby 26%, battery used by cell radio) is this not the phone looking for a mobile signal which is what it would be doing with a sim installed?)

thanks
    mike

Advertisement
  2. twisted_mind

twisted_mind Well-Known Member

With a sim card in, naturally the phone would use more battery power to latch onto a network. If you are on 3G, the drain would be even more pronounced obviously.
    A lot of folks turn off mobile network when they don't need the data connection. I do the same as well, and the battery savings are indeed noticeable.
    You could either setup a widget for this from the homescreen click +, settings > mobile.
    An alternative way is to hold the power button down and from the menu that appears onscreen, turn off the mobile network.

3. mattressback

mattressback Member This Topic's Starter

arr i see, so im not really getting a true reflection of battery life runing it without a sim then, shame