battery life with villainrom 12

Last Updated:

1. steveg

steveg Active Member This Topic's Starter

just rooted and installed villainrom 12.

love it, but my battery is draining like crazy... from 9:30a to 1:30p and I'm at 50% which is a lot worse than before!

anyone have this issue/found a solution?

Advertisement
  2. bzzzzz

bzzzzz Well-Known Member

It should get better after a few days. I'm getting. 16 hours which is ok but not great.

3. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

My battery life is WEAK!!

4. steveg

it should just get better spontaneously? just a bit confused here... any tips on how you're getting 16 hours? is it a fairly new battery? turn off any settings? are you using an exchange account?

5. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Even after a full wipe stats-drain-recharge cycle? I followed the advice (I think) you posted elsewhere and I'm seeing 12-15hrs better 'life' on MCRr5 according to the meter.

6. steveg

i should try the wipe stats-drain-recharge cycle... does that really work?

7. bzzzzz

bzzzzz Well-Known Member

That might work. But also try to give your phone 3 full days without installing any new apps. The android system does seem to work out what it can put to sleep after a couple of days. Try it and see.

8. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Yep, calibrated my battery andI can't get a full day with light to moderate use

I may buy a new battery, or a desire :)
    Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

9. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Well, it did for me. :)

10. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

I have a suspision, and this is not the first rom I have noticed it on other ROMs, my laptop see's the adhoc wifi appliction even without it activated, it wont connect, but it still see's the application, so is this draining battery, Im going to un install it and check!!

11. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

My wife asked my why her battery was draining so fast compared to mine. I checked her phone and it turned out she had auto brightness turned off. I turned it on and the next day she had double the battery life.

12. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Just turned mine on too, will report back..

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

13. 1ceb0x

1ceb0x Well-Known Member

Why the hell you will use Auto brightness? Your phone will go on FULL BRIGHTNESS WHEN OUTDOOR = RAPIDLY BATTERY DRAIN. My brightness is at minimum and outdoor i CAN see anything.

SO, i have now 30% off my battery and it's unplugged for about 2 days and 5 hours. I made a post on other thread about how to improve your battery life.

FIRST, you should do this: DRAIN YOUR PHONE and leave it with no battery, Leave it off, and put it on charge. DO NOT OPEN IT. When green led is on, leave it for more 30 minutes to charge. Now boot on recovery mode and choose wipe battery stats. Boot to normal. Use it as normal and drain your battery until your phone will not open. Now you can plug and charge like normal (you can open your phone).

This will calibrate your battery.

NOW, i made one post on other thread and you should check it out: HERE.
    IT's about how to improve your battery life.

After you follow my post, you can take a look at this one here, made by bluenova: HERE

! I use GSM only because i don't have internet from my carrier ! So be careful what you choose when entering *#*#INFO*#*# into your dialer.

After you make these, let me know how your battery life will go :).

weskus likes this.
  14. bzzzzz

bzzzzz Well-Known Member

I'm calibrating my battery again now. I've not noticed any improvements when I've done it before, but anything to get a days battery.

I'm currently getting 16 hours battery and nothing I do seems to be able to change that much.

I've changed from HTC sense to launcher pro, as some seem to suggest it uses less power, but I've yet to notice a difference.

One thing I did notice this morning is that if I look at these forum pages on my phone the battery plummets.

The battery was on 31 when I woke this morning and dropped to 16 in 15 minutes.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I'll investigate it further, but I don't think other pages had the same drain - I suppose these pages are quite big.

Anyway I'll try use this thread as a blog so that I can monitor the changes I make and hopefully if I do get battery improvement then others will be able to benefit.

15. DeadlyDazza

DeadlyDazza Well-Known Member

If you do spend a lot of time on forums on your phone, I'd suggest using Tapatalk (android market), it will consume less battery life loading pages than a browser.

16. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Not to mention, using a native app is 10 times faster when it comes to browsing the forums. So less opportunity for battery drain :p

Taptalk is extremely useful if you regularly browse forums from your phone.

EDIT: Oh and the Opera mini browser is a good free alternative. Much quicker than the stock browser.

17. stoney73

stoney73 Well-Known Member

He also doesnt say if he is using wi-fi or data, and what other apps he has running in the background. Does he use Juice defender? does he overclock? Lots of variables.

18. Ranchdawg

Ranchdawg Member

Scanned the barcode and get a response that the market cannot find it.

19. stoney73

stoney73 Well-Known Member

barcode for what?

20. nomnompie

nomnompie Well-Known Member

In the subject of his post. He was looking for Juice Defender. :eek:

Just do a search in the market for "Juice Defender". Does it show up?

21. bzzzzz

bzzzzz Well-Known Member

Sorry for not posting more in the original post. I'm just trying to build up an idea of what causes battery drain - and this certainly seemed to be one.

I was using mobile internet (I do use this quite a bit and I've not seen battery drop quite like that).

I was not overclocking. I installed overclock widget, and then uninstalled when I didn't notice a great deal of difference.

Tapatalk may be a good idea. I don't often look at forums on my phone, but couldn't help notice the drastic drop in battery this morning.

There may be other things causing battery drop.

I am not using juice defender. I tried it but I didn't like the way it was very slow to connect to the internet when waking from sleep. It also didn't seem to save that much battery.

I've not tried opera mini, that's one for the future. I'm currently using dolphin hd, which looks pretty neat, and loads pages in a reasonable time.

22. bzzzzz

bzzzzz Well-Known Member

Just tried to replicate the problem. Battery was fully charged at 8. 30 this morning. It's now 8. 50 and I've been browsing around this forum for about 10 minutes. When I started browsing battery was on 50, as I type it is still on 50. Go figure.

23. bzzzzz

bzzzzz Well-Known Member

And just changed to 49

24. bzzzzz

bzzzzz Well-Known Member

Battery staid at around the high 40's until quarter to 10. Then just plummeted to 26 by quarter past 10.
    Not changed since then.

Here are the running services. I wonder which of these I can disable or entirely get rid of

GTalkService - I don't think I use this, can I dump it, if so how?

Calendar - fair enough

ObexService - hmm looks like something to do with syncing

VillainROM updater - I'm still not sure how to use this or even if its necessary with villain 12

UpdateCheckService - assume this has something to do with villainrom

Maps - didn't know it was running but ho hum

LocationFriendService - is this latitude?

News and Weather - fair enough

GenieRefreshService - Can I put him back in his lamp

HTC_IME mod - keyboard I presume

BBC News - more news

Update service - for the news

The Weather Channel - I like the way they present the weather, shame accuweather widgets are a bit dodge, because their forecast is often spot on.

Weatherservice - for above

Astrid - where would I be without having her tell me what to do

Skype - for the occasional cheap phonecall

skypeservice - as above

3g watchdog - keep an eye on mobile use

screebl - the only app i've used that has genuinely shown battery improvement

sd card memory widget - just to keep an eye

Internal memory widget - more eyes.

Battery now at 20. Seems to drop pretty quickly when screen is on and battery is low.

25. bzzzzz

bzzzzz Well-Known Member

I use a lot of mobile internet, and don't turn it off too often.

Last night I went to bed at 11:30 with the battery on 12. I turned it off fully expecting full drain by the morning

Incredibly it is now 7.10 and the battery still reads 10!

The reason the battery drained so quickly when looking at this forum page (I believe) was due to not having great signal. Which means that the receiver has to work extra hard, draining more power.

The app that I need would do the following

It would sleep mobile internet all the time the screen is off - except to check emails once an hour

It would wake up mobile internet as fast as it wakes the screen

It would also (here's the clever bit) have a preset level of power consumption for mobile internet - if it exceeds this it would flash up a notification saying "weak signal, battery consumption high, would you like to continue". I can then make the decision as to continue or save battery.