Battery Life Worse After Update :(Support

Last Updated:

1. irmac

irmac Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So here's the thing, my battery life before the update was incredible (20 + hours.) I received the update, and now by battery barely lasts 11 hours with little to no use at all. What's going on? Will Verizon give me a free new battery if I argue in the case of a defect?

I also use Launcher Pro Plus if that helps anyone with ideas to help me.

Advertisement
  2. arcturussage

arcturussage Well-Known Member

I don't think so. If it was because of the update this would be a wide spread issue. I've had the update and my battery life has been great.

Did you download any new apps around or after you got the update? Maybe you have something eating up your battery.

3. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

How are you determining your battery life? Are you fully charging and then waiting until it dies?

Remember, the battery meter was wrong prior to the update, so if you are estimating time left based on percentage left, the data is all wrong.

4. irmac

Oh I was reading the battery meter up top and now am using the BatteryLife Widget. It's been unplugged for 4 and 1/2 hours with very very little use and BatteryLife already says 80%. Is there any way of checking to see if something is eating my battery? I have the display level down, not too much syncing, nothing like wifi/gps turned on and am in battery "Smart Mode." Maybe I have a defect :( Will Verizon give me a new free one? Thanks for the help guys

5. arcturussage

You can try taking it to a verizon store for service and if something is wrong they can try and get you a new one, I still feel like if it was a result of the update this would be more wide spread.

I also see that you mentioned you have Wifi turned off? I'd suggest turning this on if you have wifi you can connect too. From what I've heard turning on Wifi can help improve battery life because the phone will use that over 3G whenever possible but YMMV

6. lexluthor

I'm not sure what you are expecting really. That's not bad at all.

20% used for 4.5 hours is 22.5 hours. Certainly nothing wrong there.

I usually find that the 2nd 50% goes faster than the first 50%, but still.

I'm a little tired of all the people trying to get a new battery. Great if you can get one and have a spare (do they take your original battery), but I bet that very rarely fixes anything.

7. arcturussage

I imagine if you can get them to send you a new battery for free they'd want your old one back.

If people are really unhappy with the battery just wait until the new battery comes out that adds 1mm to the phone but should give you more battery life.

8. irmac

You know what's really annoying, the droid x only allows you to monitor battery by the 10% so you don't know if you have 89% or 81% because it just displays 80%. I wonder why they did that...

Also guys, I wasn't trying to upset anyone or act like a really negative person sorry if my question bugged you.

9. lexluthor

Sorry, if I acted "bugged".

You do bring up a good point. At what point does the battery % change on the X? Does it round to the nearest 10 (at 85 it shows 90, at 84, it shows 80)? Does it change once you reach that amount (once it's at 80, it shows 80 all the way to 70). Seems like that would be good information to know.

10. dequardo

dequardo Well-Known Member

IMO when it's 99% it goes to 90, etc.....

11. irmac

What you said is correct.