battery life???Support

Last Updated:

1. Sumo

Sumo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok not another thread about how bad it is,a bit of a odd one is this. I recently bought a genuine mains battery charger from ebay only to be sent the wrong one! anyway he didnt have another samsung charger to send but he had a genuine nokia thet fits the galaxy.

When i charge my phone with my samsung charger my battery lasts for about a day,but when i use the nokia one it lasts for two to two and a quater days? whats in the battery charger,a ecu?:confused:

Advertisement
  2. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the nokia one supplies more current and so charges it at a faster rate. This might meant it gets slightly overcharged. I've seen this happen with other phones before - usually usb charging vs power adaptor.

I would guess the nokia charger will decrease the life of the battery. But having said that if it lasts twice as long, you'll use half the number of charge cycles in the same period. And the battery is user replacable anyway... I might start using a nokia charger then :p

3. AceStar

AceStar Member

First few charges of a li-ion or li-poly battery will often last much less time, and it should improve after 2 or 3 charges.

Are you sure you aren't just witnessing this? Had it been charged and discharged a few times before you tried the samsung charger?

I'm curious.

4. pegasus21

pegasus21 Well-Known Member

The galaxy uses just a standard micro usb port for charging. I the charger that comes with the phone is just a standard micro usb charger. Hence the reason the nokia is compatible with it.

The default charger is rated at 700mA. USB is rated max 500mA so using the charger will charge faster assuming the phone's built-in charging circuits do not limit the current. There should be no differences between battery life using either ways to charge unless the usb charging isn't complete. (It can happen if the voltage provided by the usb port isn't enough to fully charge the cell a bit unlikely though)

I agree with acestar about the first few charges.

Another thing to add is that electronics these days do not charge by time but by a delta process. It checks the voltage of the cell before it decides to stop charging. It usually occurs when the delta (change) in voltage between each check doesn't change. So no over charging can occur.

5. Sumo

Sumo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have had this phone for about a month now so the charging cycle should of sorted its self out now. I use the samsung charger at home and the nokia one at work and very rarely the usb lead.

As long as lm not damaging my phone I'm well happy!