• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help battery life

DWFII

Jul 6, 2016
ᴡᴡᴡ.dwfii.sexy17.ru
I've asked a variation of this question before but not really sure about the answer...

Most current phones do not have replaceable batteries. So what is the expected life of a battery? At 70 years old my next phone may be my last phone. Will a non-replaceable battery last 10 years? 15?

If not, that mean you have to buy a new phone, right?

Batteries should last at least 2-3 years being able to hold a decent charge.

Unfortunately batteries don't last forever and over time don't hold a charge as long. A battery could last 10 years, but expect it to need constant charging.

Most phone shops can replace a non removable battery, you usually just need the correct tools to open up the phone.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
Batteries should last at least 2-3 years being able to hold a decent charge.

Unfortunately batteries don't last forever and over time don't hold a charge as long. A battery could last 10 years, but expect it to need constant charging.

Most phone shops can replace a non removable battery, you usually just need the correct tools to open up the phone.

This is good to know. I didn't understand that until now. Thank you.

I applaud your desire to learn something new at your age.

Non-removable batteries are a sticking point for me.
A little trick of the trade. Bookmark this site. You can actually change a non-removable battery yourself. Difficulty is high. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

https://www.ifixit.com

Thank you. Aside from the fact that my body is falling apart (relative, I suppose) I feel 40 in my head.

I am a bespoke shoe and bootmaker of nearly 50 years and am still actively making. Naturally...or hopefully...I have a certain amount of manual dexterity. And could probably do it with the proper tools.

But I am not so much interested in doing it as knowing it can be done. I say this new phone may be my last simply because I have happily gotten along without cell phones for all of my life to this point...although I have done quite a lot with computers (inside the box)...and once I get one that I am satisfied with, I am sure it will suffice for all of my needs going forward. Plus, I know...intimately...from dealing with computers, that every time you upgrade the operating system or the hardware (even just a piece of it) you have a long onerous witch hunt running down incompatibilities etc..

I have already begun to move the photos on my current phone to the cloud in anticipation.

Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
I'm 73 and I feel as young as I did 70 years ago.... my legs just aren't as good now as they were then. :)

as for the battery in the phone, if you will set an alarm to notify you when it reaches 40% level, and try to put it back on charge, it will easily double the life of the battery.

if I am not using my phone, it goes back on charge...
I have a 7 year old Galaxy 'S' with the OEM battery that still gives about 3 or 4 hours of service.... longer if it is just idling along with DATA and WiFi turned off.

MacroDroid is free and can provide that alarm, mine does.
* MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones