Battery LifeSupport

Last Updated:

1. Tradman

Tradman Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,
    Thinking of making a jump from the HTC Desire to the Galaxy S. I have recommended the Galaxy S to my friends over the Desire as I am getting very poor battery life. Unplugged it this morning(8.30) and I'm at 54% now (1.00). Typically won't get 12 hours. I'm not a hugely heavy user either but I'd love to be able to make it through the day. So my question to you nice people is, how is the Galaxy S working out? I know on paper it's better than the Desire for Battery amongst other things but I'd like to hear your results?
    Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. Lol mahmood

Lol mahmood Well-Known Member

I can get through a full day of browsing, watching vids, listening to music, etc. on a single charge. I had a Desire for a few weeks, but found the battery life made it useless for me if i spent a day out of the office. I tried a PAYG Galaxy Portal, which had pretty good battery life (with moderate use it lasted 2-3 days at a festival i went to last month) but was tempted by the SGS on a decent upgrade deal. Battery is better than the Desire's, but not as good as the Portal's. Froyo may make a difference, though.

3. moofychops

moofychops Active Member

Hi,
    The answer is simply to buy a spare battery, (About

Natwolf likes this.
  4. PhoenixFx

PhoenixFx Well-Known Member

Mine barely lasts a day; a lot depends on your usage though. I take few calls then send and receive a fair bit of texts. My 3G connection is always active with gmail and gtalk running in the background. but I dont have lot of widgets, just one to keep an eye on data, and a simple sense UI like clock that has wether info. I rarely use Wi-Fi. Despite AMOLED being advertised as a very energy efficient screen, that happens to be the biggest battery consumer (next to , or sometimes even before calls). So, if you are a light user then you should be able to get at least a day.

5. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

I get a full day with reasonably heavy use. Email checks every 10 minutes and wifi and Bluetooth stay on. 10-20 calls a day about 1 to 2 minutes. Browse a lot and also check things like weather and currency plus the odd game. This will still have half a battery after 14 hours

JG8 software and rooted- but I doubt that makes any difference

6. hippo_potamus

hippo_potamus Active Member

7. Insomnium

Insomnium New Member

Mine got a lot better with time. You sjould also look up info on battery calibration. Once its empty. Take battery out for 30s recharge till full while battery off. Use till empty anr recharge full normally. My batterylife doubled after the first 2 weeks.

ronmtorres likes this.
  8. boysheff

boysheff Member

I had the Desire and the battery under heavy use would last 6-7 hours, under light use 12 hours and that was it.

Know i have the galaxy s and what a aphone, the battery can last me under light use 3 days and heavy use about 2 and half days. no missed call issues anymore.

I would recommend the galaxy well ove rthe HTC desire.

9. prasar

prasar Member

Guys, I fully discharged the battery and charged it for 8 hrs, done it thrice and if I dont use Wifi or watch videos, just use the phone - I get 5 days from a single charge !! ( I talk an hour or so on phone everyday)

10. talktoanil

talktoanil Well-Known Member

2 days on high usage and 3 on moderate.

11. ssss067

ssss067 Member

Died in 5 hours from just web browsing and rearranging stuff around the home view. I hope it gets longer since I've only full charged it once, having bought it yesterday

12. vicj

vicj Member

One game of chess. 15 minutes. 8% of my battery life. wow.

13. mnemon

mnemon Member

My battery lasts 3 days with a moderate use and 4 days with light... no 3g and internet switched on only when am using it (2-3 hours a day)

software JM1
    display usage around 40-45 %

14. andreami

andreami Member

Just a quick heads up about battery life and for those that are getting a day or less from it.
    I went through some trouble shooting with my phone and my partners (both the same Samsung Galaxy S running similar apps) and she was getting 2-3 days with me getting a full day if I was lucky, the only difference was the look of the sim cards.
    Went into the Optus shop and after forcing them give me a new one (the little ones that have the micro sim on them as well) I can now get 2 days out of my phone.
    So that might be something to look at if you're getting low phone life. Maybe the other sims aren't totally compatible with these new phones? *shruggs*..
    cheers

15. EarlZ

EarlZ Well-Known Member

Grats, your probably the only one to get 5 days or dont really use the phone :p

16. kyiori

kyiori Member

Heavy usage of internet and download of app.
    It will last 4-5hrs.

Moderate usage of internet (2hrs) + Moderate sms and googletalk + Light gaming = A day.

17. ronmtorres

ronmtorres Member

Guys, do Insomnium's advice above. I did it and experienced a significant increase in battery life (talking about around 3-4 hours) and I have done it just once. I will do this regularly and see what happens.

18. Daysofspeed

Daysofspeed Member

Where it says "recharge till full while battery off" I take it just means to charge while the phone is switched off! :confused:

19. lobo76

lobo76 Well-Known Member

I go to sleep with the phone at 100% charge. 6 hours later, dropped by 10%.

I was using livepaper though....

20. EnglishCrusader

EnglishCrusader Active Member

Galaxy S does not have amazing battery i've had better, but i've heard some really bad things on the desire side of things, so i'd make the jump.

21. andyfan_uk

andyfan_uk New Member

Guys,

I am surprised to see some of the comments in this thread. 2 days with heavy use and 3 days with moderate use? What do you mean by heavy and moderate?

I bought this last week and to be honest since then I have not managed to get it to last for even a whole day (i.e. 24 hours). I am not a "heavy" user, i.e. not even 1 hour voice call, 1 hour video, 1 hour music playback, 1 hour browsing.

All that is running on it 24/7 is the background data synchronisation. My google mail account is configured and is sync'ing all the time.
    Now I am curious to know if that is taking up all the power? If that is the case, I would rate this phone very poor, because with a smartphone like this I would expect email sync to be a standard function which should have had a powerful enough battery to support it.

I own a Blackberry Curve as well and I used that for most of the voice calls during the day. Man, you won't believe this. It lasts for at least 4 days without recharge and the email accounts are constantly in sync as well.

I have been thinking about returning it and getting an iPhone seriously. My initial excitement is slowly melting away. I must admit, when I had it in my hands for the first time, I was proud of my decision NOT to go with the iPhone crowd. But I do not know if this phone is mature enough for serious business.

I would appreciate your thoughts.
    Thanks.

22. andreami

andreami Member

andyfan_uk.
    there are many many things that can affect the battery life.. Have a look through the various threads here and see if the things you are doing are affecting it...
    with wifi,gps off, back light on lowest, synch on and WITH a brand new sim card (the little ones with the micro sim in it) I was able to move from just under a day to 2 days easy.. that would be with medium use. Facebook and twitter every two hours.. emails a couple an hour.. about 1hr of calls /day and about 30 texts...
    remember.. this phone has a HUGE screen that takes up a large chunk of your battery.. a nice black wallpaper is going to make a huge difference to battery life.. using live wallpapers... will kill it in hours.
    But really.. have a look through.. you can also check your battery settings page on the phone and it will tell you what is using the most power
    Oh and use a task killer.. leaving apps running will also use more power than having them closed one you finish with them.