Battery Life

Last Updated:

1. omatix

omatix Active Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone got any info on battery life?

I charged my N1 last night, been listening to some internet radio (less than 30 mins) and surfing the web (less than 30 mins total, I'd say). No phone calls. And maybe less than 20 mins of email. And now my battery is dead. It's 2.30 PM.

I'm hoping the battery is either defective or hasn't reached peak performance. I'm not happy.

Advertisement
  2. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member

I sure hope (for the sake of everyone else) that yours is defective. Ive been using gtalk (2 convos, pretty long) and a few short phone calls, few sms and some browsing and about 10 emails and its at 79%. It was unplugged at 6AM

3. Drew1204

Drew1204 Well-Known Member

Unplugged mine at Noon, and it was dead at around 3:30AM. Used it a lot more than I normally would as I was using new features etc. Browed the web, put music on the phone, few phone calls, texting. Settings say screen used 56% of the battery

4. omatix

That sounds muuuuch better than mine. Maybe the internet radio really drained it? I was using the "A Online Radio" (odd name) app from the Market.

5. Drew1204

Drew1204 Well-Known Member

How did you get email to work? I can't setup yahoo, or mac mail. It tells me the username/pass is wrong when I know its right :(

6. laughter95

laughter95 Well-Known Member

uh sorry to hijack, but quick question, y/n, do i need to fully charge the phone before i use it?

7. smitty24

I use GMAIL on it...i dont have a clue about yahoo. seems contradictory to have a google phone and use ymail on it. just my 0.02

8. omatix

The manual says to, but reading about LiIon batteries, you shouldn't need to. I did.

9. jbrinkley

jbrinkley Well-Known Member

I only spent 5 minutes working on my yahoo addy. I'm sure there's a way, but it won't set up by itself. Hotmail is good to go though.

10. cred05

cred05 Well-Known Member

How to set up Yahoo...its the exact same way I had to do it when I was running Hero roms on my G1.

incoming settings:
    username :xxxxx@yahoo.com
    password
    IMAP server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
    port: 143
    security type: none

outgoing settings:
    smtp server: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
    port: 587
    security type: none

MiamiGuy and dren like this.
  11. kafkef

kafkef Well-Known Member

It's probably because of the internet radio. My Nokia E66's battery will die in about an hour or so if I listen to internet radio. With only 3G connection (e-mail) and internet browsing it'll go all day.

12. Spriter

Spriter Well-Known Member

So would it be okay if we didn't charge it all the way fully before we started using it? I'm actually waiting to go out and just got the phone about an hour ago, still charging (still orange light) - I haven't turned it on yet. :(

13. omatix

I wouldn't be too worried if you don't have time to charge it fully.

Check here:
    Charging lithium-ion batteries

To quote from it, he says:

"Lithium-ion is a very clean system and does not need priming as nickel-based batteries do. The 1st charge is no different to the 5th or the 50th charge. Stickers instructing to charge the battery for 8 hours or more for the first time may be a leftover from the nickel battery days. "

14. rynowhi

rynowhi Active Member

In 2 hours of use since a full charge, I'm at 80% full. 57% to the screen and 10% to calls (roughly 11 minutes worth). I've been playing with it a lot, so I'd be happy with 7 - 10 hours of use.

15. gentlefury

gentlefury Well-Known Member

Pandora is really kind to battery life. I run it about 2 hours a day (drive in to the city, drive home) and it barely affects my battery. Seems like web browsing is the biggest battery hog. If I don't go on a website my phone is good for the day, if I do however I can drain it in an hour easily. Leaving Bluetooth on has very minimal effect (average 2% consumption in stats) but leaving WiFi on seems to be very bad for battery life! I find I actually get longer life using the network as opposed to wifi. Hi Aim idle reported about 14% of battery...I deleted it after I saw that.

The biggest thing is screen brightness! Set it to auto and forget about it...if you are in a dark room (which is most of my day) it will dim it to the lowest setting. If you are outside it will crank it to the highest setting. My screen averages 33% consumption.

16. rookie1082

rookie1082 Well-Known Member

Unplugged from wall around 730 this morning... Sent about 100 texts at work, did the occasional browsing and email, and a coworker of mine connected it to wifi and surfed for about 35 minutes as he explored the phone...then I listened to pandora on my 45 minute drive home... Oh and made a couple of calls throughout the day.

Came home at 6pm and plugged into wall with 49% remaining.

This is my normal usage as when I had the iPhone... But with the iPhone i'd be down to about 20-25 percent come 5pm.

17. omatix

This is good news. I'm hoping that it was just that radio app that wore mine down (this is the OP).

18. ikon

ikon Well-Known Member

My battery life has been very good so far. Unlugged it last night at about 10pm, went to sleep, used it a bit at work and it's currently 4:17pm with 34% left.

A tip to those who are new to Android if you don't already know. You can long press on one of your home pages and choose "Shorcut" -> "Settings" -> "Battery Settings" to create a shortcut to quickly see what's using up your battery. Or you can easily make shortucts to other oft used settings.

19. omeyga

omeyga Well-Known Member

Been on mine since 2AM. Took a 4 hour nap but for the most part it's been just playing around with things, installing apps, and lots of talk time. Battery indicator just now turned red but not low enough for the low battery warning. Sadly I didn't look at the percentage before I plugged it in....but that's pretty good for the amount of use it's had since 2AM.

Keep in mind i've previously owned a Sidekick so anything after that is uphill.

20. ikon

ikon Well-Known Member

Oh, and after just 1 day of use and 1 charge, the N1 battery usage seems way better than my G1 was.

21. jbrinkley

jbrinkley Well-Known Member

thanks cred05

22. T-Mobile

T-Mobile Active Member

my battery is poor too,

8am - Start Time:
    Checking emails throughout the day with touch down
    20 mins of calls
    couple of pictures
    a video at 5:00
    an 40 min conversation
    6:45 pm - battery at 11%

Is there a good battery monitoring app that monitors % of battery life left over the course of a day and spits it onto a graph? That'd be nice to see.

23. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Couple things:

1) Pick up BatteryLife from the Market. It's a nice widget and tells you your battery status.
    2) Apparently the N1's battery gets depleted quickly on phone calls.
    3) Check your apps. Many apps have background processes. Some of these processes run all the time and can drain your battery. Check usage.
    4) Turning down the display brightness can help too.
    5) SYNC'ing can drain battery, particularly if your signal ain't great.

24. lithium1330

lithium1330 Member

Not familiar with Touch Down, but does it sync with Exchange non-stop/continuously? If so, I'd guess that's what draining your batt. Can you change your sync schedule on touch down?

25. smitty24

update 17 hours since unplugged - addition to earlier post

heavy gtalk use
    wifi and bluetooth on (wifi since ~5pm, bluetooth all day)
    about 6-8 more emails

35% remaining