• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life

I also recently rooted and on stock ROM with setcpu.
I didn't get to flashing any kernels yet because it scares me a bit.. It's so hard to know if someone goes wrong with your device due to the kernel.
Did you also root without unlocking the bootloader? Is flashing kernels really as simple then? What would've been your battery level after 16 hours before the kernel, if you can remember?
Thanks for sharing :)

Upvote 0
I also recently rooted and on stock ROM with setcpu.
I didn't get to flashing any kernels yet because it scares me a bit.. It's so hard to know if someone goes wrong with your device due to the kernel.
Did you also root without unlocking the bootloader? Is flashing kernels really as simple then? What would've been your battery level after 16 hours before the kernel, if you can remember?
Thanks for sharing :)

Flashing kernels I feel could be problematic - I don't bother unless they are built-in to a ROM.

Upvote 0
Flashing kernels I feel could be problematic - I don't bother unless they are built-in to a ROM.

I hear ya on that, but the Kernel from Wildmonk running under Enomther's ROM has been freaking great! I unplug my phone at 5:30am and when I plug it in to charge in the evening, it seems like I have hardly used anything, when in fact I have used my phone normally.

I usually still have in excess of 30%, and that's also with at least an hour of streaming music with Subsonic for over an hour while at the gym!

Upvote 0
im so frustrated! since my tomtom broke ive been using my n1 as a gps in my car. when on my car charger my battery depletes. for instance on a 30 min trip using gps with the phone plugged in no other apps runing screen medium high brightness. the phone was around 90% before the trip and about 70 after! i would atleast think the charger could give it power almost as fast as it takes it!

one other thing does anyone have any dead batteries like my old g1 battery would charge all night and die in 15 min the battery would say 100% and die. i feel like my n1 is heading that way. :thinking:

Upvote 0
im so frustrated! since my tomtom broke ive been using my n1 as a gps in my car. when on my car charger my battery depletes. for instance on a 30 min trip using gps with the phone plugged in no other apps runing screen medium high brightness. the phone was around 90% before the trip and about 70 after! i would atleast think the charger could give it power almost as fast as it takes it!

one other thing does anyone have any dead batteries like my old g1 battery would charge all night and die in 15 min the battery would say 100% and die. i feel like my n1 is heading that way. :thinking:
Can't help you with the car charger, but can you tell us what your daily usage is and how much each area uses the battery? If you think you have bad battery, keep track of your daily battery usage. Call HTC and tell them to get a replacement battery under warranty. I'd suggest you do a factory reset and see how your battery is without 3rd party apps running...might be a badly programmed app that's causing your battery woes

Upvote 0
I just recently got 3G (yes I've been dataless for all this time) and OMG...just WOW...I knew 3G eats through the battery, but I did not imagine it'd be THIS bloody bad >_< I've been getting less than 10 hours everyday with light use (around an hour of phone usage) with battery low (20-25%). My first thought is that there must be some apps that use the internet when the phone is asleep or something. When I had wifi on for the whole day with basically the same usage, it'll last me about 30 hours!!!

Any suggestions to help? All of my app refresh updates are manual except for weather which is every hour (max update output the app has). I'm on Rogers, don't know if it's my carrier's network that is spotty and making my phone work hard? I'd like to hear anyone with the N1 on Rogers.

Today's Battery use info:

8.5 hrs - 22% battery left (left the charger @ 6:30)

Display set to 40% birghtness : 49% battery usage - 1h5m
Cell Standby: 15% - 8.5hrs; Time without signal 25% <--culprit?
Browser: 8% - 10min; 765.55kb of data sent 2.19mb received
Phone Idle: 8% -7.5hrs;
Android System: 7% - CPU total=14min; data sent =59km; data received=64kb
Wallpaper: 2% - 3.5min
Wifi: 2% - 1h
Widget locker: 2% - 2min
Android OS -2% - 2min; data sent=16kb; data received=327kb

So for 2 hours, I had no signal...I don't remember what this amount was before...but would this cause my battery to be reduced to one third of how it was before?

I've been carrying my extra battery just in case my phone dies in the middle of the day and I have not way to charge it.

I have to say, I am very very sad with my battery situation. It's making me not enjoy my 3G and use it to its full potential! :(

Thanks in advance for any advices/help :)

Cheers,
-Roze-

Upvote 0
type *#*#4636#*#*
then pick the first option (phone information I think).
There you probably have your signal set to wcdma preferred. I set it to GSM auto (prl)
Afaik, this uses a list from your provider to determine when your signal goes from GSM to 3G, so no more signal hunting. So that might help with your cell usage :)

OK Thanks, man!!! Yeah, it was set to wcdma preferred. I hope this helps!!!

Upvote 0
Seriously, reading through some of these recent posts im literally stunned and bemused why people have not rooted yet !?!?!?

Its so easy to do now and theres no problems seriously.

My battery stats read 14h 41m and i have 67 percent remaining and thats using pershoots latest kernal. Ive been using it for months and never had so much as a glitch with cyanogen nightlies latest build.....

Please, pretty please guys and Roze.....stop suffering!!

O by the way wireless always on never sleeps, all google syncs on and 3g always on ;)

Upvote 0
Seriously, reading through some of these recent posts im literally stunned and bemused why people have not rooted yet !?!?!?

Its so easy to do now and theres no problems seriously.

My battery stats read 14h 41m and i have 67 percent remaining and thats using pershoots latest kernal. Ive been using it for months and never had so much as a glitch with cyanogen nightlies latest build.....

O by the way wireless always on never sleeps, all google syncs on and 3g always on ;)

Can you give me the exact pershoot kernel you are using? I have tried his latest kernel the other day, and the problem is that if the phone is left idle for about an hour or so, the screen will remain blank even if I press the power button to turn it back on.

Upvote 0

I think this depends on the car charger's power. If you had bought some cheap charger off ebay (like i did). The charge on that thing is very slow and would not supply enough power to charge the phone more than you use it.

Upvote 0
type *#*#4636#*#*
then pick the first option (phone information I think).
There you probably have your signal set to wcdma preferred. I set it to GSM auto (prl)
Afaik, this uses a list from your provider to determine when your signal goes from GSM to 3G, so no more signal hunting. So that might help with your cell usage :)

That seems to help! Getting about 24 hours of battery life with 20% left on light use (1 hr surfing and 1.5 hr msn)

That just made me smile, lol, I'm not lumped with 'the guys' <3

I will...one of these days XD It's on my list of things to do! I want to know the process inside and out before I start :)

Upvote 0
Can you give me the exact pershoot kernel you are using? I have tried his latest kernel the other day, and the problem is that if the phone is left idle for about an hour or so, the screen will remain blank even if I press the power button to turn it back on.

Hi mate sorry my mistake not pershoot, Im using the undervolt kernal by Kmobs .35.4 9/08.

Trust me its ultra stable and battery is like a horse ;)

That seems to help! Getting about 24 hours of battery life with 20% left on light use (1 hr surfing and 1.5 hr msn)

That just made me smile, lol, I'm not lumped with 'the guys' <3

I will...one of these days XD It's on my list of things to do! I want to know the process inside and out before I start :)

Hehe I bet you would be offended if i classed you one of the guys ;)

Honestly nowadays its literally one click with a file on your phone ;) Sooooo easy....:D

Upvote 0
I'm glad it did you some good, I was quite happy myself when I found out about this trick ^^

That's smart in any case. Although you run very very little risk of bricking your phone, you might render it unusable for a day tops until you figure out how to fix it.
But just understanding what you're doing is enough to take the plunge into rooting :p

Upvote 0
Even if you have a charger that gives you enough power, the middle pins (out of my memory, please google before you blow up your phone) needs to be short circuited in either the cable or the charger for the HTC phones to charge more than the USB specified 500mAh.

I did this to my cheapo charger and it works great. There is probably a guide somewhere in the forum.

I think this depends on the car charger's power. If you had bought some cheap charger off ebay (like i did). The charge on that thing is very slow and would not supply enough power to charge the phone more than you use it.

Upvote 0
... just sharing something abut battery life...

so i usually get 24 hrs of use on my nexus without any problem...

but yesterday was an exception, it was barely 4pm and my battery was 70% down, with a moderate usage, however, I noticed that my signal was pretty bad during the whole day, it would go from full bars to zero all the time.
battery usage indicated 25% for display, something normal, but then it would show 17% for phone idle and 19% for cell standby.. something not normal.

today, things changed, signal has been consistence, and so the battery.. its almost 4pm and battery has just go down 27% with moderate use.

im guessing that all the time phone couldnt get any signal, it would keep busy looking for signal and that drained the battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones