• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
my post was not meant to say Juice defender doesn't work just that it is not needed to achieve better battery life using it or not is individual choice ..

also since myself and others have seen actual increase in battery life it obviously is not a "placebo effect"

The only thing special about the method you used is it disabled the backdoor. Its been proven that the backdoor isn't even a running process and therefore does not effect the battery life the least bit.

Upvote 0
Well if you look at my previous posts I got 2+ days out of my battery with no juice defender, or any battery tricks:p

And you can get the same battery life w/o using any of the steps above and without Juice Defender. One time I got close to almost 3 full days w/o a charge on average I get around 2. Battery life is more conditional on use and your environment not disabling a inactive process.

Upvote 0
Its actually "really" hard to measure battery life improvements because of the variables.

I can get an easy two days on mine just by leaving it on my desk at home and not using it.

Stock I couldn't get little more than a day, so my assumption is one or more of the following, shabbymod, shabby kernel RC1, disabled carrier IQ, bloat-ware removed and the memory optimization script has made the difference.

But again, its really hard to prove anything with so many variables.

While I'm at work, I can loose the battery in the 8 hours I'm there due to poor signal and phone use. Using Juice defender actually helps me at the office quite a bit.

Upvote 0
I have been one of the people experiencing short battery life, i practically charge the phone whenever i can, home, car, and carry a charger with me just in case.. I didnt follow optimus's steps exactly.. heres what ive done, after getting my phone i found out about this forum, rooted, put shabbymod .9 loaded on my phone. after a while i went to try out simple blue with no ciq, got the boot loop problem, to fix that i did the factory reset data wipe from cwm, and tried coolblue.. that got everything back up and running, and much smoother.. and in hopes of extending battery life i just put on shabbykernal. I'll get back with info on if it seems to help.. I hope to get the results some of you are having. When im using my phone reading news, or doing whatever I can watch each percent go down over a matter of minutes, and im good to use my power widget to keep everything unnecessary off and screen brightness low.. Last night i drained battery fully and fully charged, which didnt help on its own, not surprising as apparently li batteries have no memory. I was using 2x battery for a while but i dont know that it really was helping me much, I dont have anything using data much anyhow when im not actively using it.

Anyone think this will do me any good, or is the order of operations essential to get the battery life? Ill update over the next day or two. Putting phone on charger now..

Upvote 0
This is just light to medium use. half a dozen phone calls 50 or so texts and 2-3 hours of games, not all in a row

Prevail%20battery%20life.png

Upvote 0
mine has been on battery it says for about 4 1/2 hours and it looks like it at around 60% with very minimal use, wireless tether has been on for about an hour or so of that time.

I would like to get better battery life, but like i've mentioned in almost all my other posts, which optimus has helped me out tremendously with his informative posts, that im very new to all this. I've rooted my phone alredy with the one click root for prevail, would following those steps wipe my phone clean? i really dont wanna go through what i already have done a second time. its basically a stock prevail, i've just rooted it and installed wireless tether and changed the proxy codes for faster net speeds.

Upvote 0
mine has been on battery it says for about 4 1/2 hours and it looks like it at around 60% with very minimal use, wireless tether has been on for about an hour or so of that time.

I would like to get better battery life, but like i've mentioned in almost all my other posts, which optimus has helped me out tremendously with his informative posts, that im very new to all this. I've rooted my phone alredy with the one click root for prevail, would following those steps wipe my phone clean? i really dont wanna go through what i already have done a second time. its basically a stock prevail, i've just rooted it and installed wireless tether and changed the proxy codes for faster net speeds.
on your phone open settings go to about phone scroll down to baseband version and tell me does it end in EJ06? or what is it.

Also build number does it say GINGERBREAD.EJ06 or something else.

Upvote 0
baseband version ends with exactly that EJ06 and then its buid is GINGERBREAD.EJ06 just like you stated
ok do you have CWM5 recovery on your phone? have you looked into ctmod2.3?

to get better battery life it is a few things, how much cell searching is your phone doing, how many apps are running, what apps are doing and several other things.
if you have the OTA gingerbread update you will benefit by removing the bloat, there are lists of bloatware safe to remove.

Then you have to look at how well each app is working, that is one place ctmod is very good at it is a minimal app rom though as I mentioned before my phone actually uses more battery with CIQ removed and ctmod2.3 has been gone through to remove it all.
If I were you I would use the odin back up by kuma found
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/429867-odin-image-file-creator.html
and copy your phone as it is now, then put on cwm5 if you dont already have it then flash ctmod2.3 and try that out for a few weeks.

Read as much about it as you can, you may need to put some apps back into it depending on your circumstances.

Upvote 0
im gonna wait for a bit and see how well it does over the next week or so just like it is, i go back to work in the morning from the holidays and wont be using it quite so much, cell stand by and phone idle is using up most of the battery cell stand by is 47% and phone idle is 40%

not sure if i have cwm5 or not i haven't had the phone but about a week or so, dont know much about it. But wanna get the most out of it.

Upvote 0
im gonna wait for a bit and see how well it does over the next week or so just like it is, i go back to work in the morning from the holidays and wont be using it quite so much, cell stand by and phone idle is using up most of the battery cell stand by is 47% and phone idle is 40%

not sure if i have cwm5 or not i haven't had the phone but about a week or so, dont know much about it. But wanna get the most out of it.
if you did not put CWM5 on then you do not have it.
this is something I would do regardless of what you decide.
ClockWorkMod recovery is a must and a life saver if you flub up something.

And that odin image maker of kuma is an extension of that, by that I mean make the image, it does not hurt or change anything on your phone, and at a later time you will be able to put it back on the phone and have the EXACT stuff you have now. if you brick the phone it is an instant cure. ah assuming you can get the phone into download mode, at this point there is only one way, other then destroying the phone) Do not try to use Rom Manager to put recovery on the phone. That is the only way I heard about to make the phone permanent brick.

Upvote 0
so the cwm5 is a recovery mod that restores your phone to working order right?

and the odin image maker copies your phone so you can change back incase you do something you dont like.

and then finally the ctmod wipes your phone of things that may use up the battery? however your phone uses more battery with ctmod correct?

Upvote 0
so the cwm5 is a recovery mod that restores your phone to working order right?

and the odin image maker copies your phone so you can change back incase you do something you dont like.

and then finally the ctmod wipes your phone of things that may use up the battery? however your phone uses more battery with ctmod correct?
My phone uses slightly more battery with ctmod2.3 then it did when I just modified gingerbread to suit me.
it uses less then stock gingerbread by far.

ctmod does lots of things, it frees up lots of space on your phone( it does not have many of the bloated apps which frees lots there, and it also has slimmed down versions of many apk's.)
It runs faster then stock, it has a few other things you would probably be better off looking into the thread on ctmod2.3 for all that information.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is this is the right thread or not, but here goes:

My phone constantly has multiple apps that run in the background. I use AVG throughout the day to close these apps, but they just start back up again. Here are the frequent offenders:

Gmail
Amazon Appstore
market
Facebook
Bible
TeleNav GPS
Pandora
etc.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is this is the right thread or not, but here goes:

My phone constantly has multiple apps that run in the background. I use AVG throughout the day to close these apps, but they just start back up again. Here are the frequent offenders:

Gmail
Amazon Appstore
market
Facebook
Bible
TeleNav GPS
Pandora
etc.

The only thing that I've found to stop these apps from running in the background is to FREEZE them w/ Titanium Backup . I use the paid version but from what I've been told , the free version only lets you do this so many times so you may need to get the key to unlock Titanium Pro . When you want to use these apps again , just go in to Titanium and hit DEFROST and they'll be ready to use . We were just discussing this same issue last night in another thread. Hope this helped ya a lil . :D

Reactions: MDykstra
Upvote 0
I don't know why TeleNav is running unless you opened it and then forgot to "back out" of the program. But the rest are running because they need to periodically sync and check for mail/updates. Can't do that if it isn't running, now can it?

If you don't like them doing that, you can turn off "Background data" and "Auto-sync" in the "Accounts & sync settings" section of your phone's "Settings". That will prevent most of them from using much battery/cpu.

Upvote 0
I don't know why TeleNav is running unless you opened it and then forgot to "back out" of the program. But the rest are running because they need to periodically sync and check for mail/updates. Can't do that if it isn't running, now can it?

Yep , it helps when you shut down apps that you don't care to get immediate updates on ( Amazon , Facebook , etc. ) . Thankfully , if you have auto-sync on , these apps will update as soon as they are re-activated . Since I've started freezing these apps and turning off everything but the radio at night , my battery life has increased drastically . I asked myself , what's more important , getting immediate access to email , Facebook , or Amazon . OR........ saving my battery ? The question was easy for me .

Getting 2 Xtra batteries and a charger from Ebay , doesn't hurt either . :D

Reactions: The~Skater~187
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones