Battery lifeGeneral

1. Jabanero

Jabanero Member

Hi all;
    I'm a recently converted lifelong iPhone user so please be gentle. I couldn't be happier with my new GS3 but i'm concerned about the battery life. It's nothing like my old iP4.

5h 05m 15s battery usage

31% Battery left

usage stats:
    29% screen
    28% android system
    15% cell standby
    rest = various games & apps... no single one more than 9%.

This seems REALLY REALLY poor. Can someone compare this with anything for me ? I have no point of reference and I need to know if i have hardware issues or if this is what it is.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Hey there Jabanero, i offered you some solutions here: http://androidforums.com/introductions/626404-new-galaxy-s3.html

Also i would suggest going into Settings > Battery > then clicking on the graph, by doing so this will take you to a new page that will show you lines of usage on the device, meaning how long things are running, if there are a lot of solid lines i would suggest in restarting the device.

Hope this helps :)
  3. Jabanero

Jabanero Member

Thanks DC..

I read the other post and I don't have any of those items on.

1. Not using googleNow
    2. No Lattitude Settings

3. Powersaving is on (only for haptic feedback)
    4. Screen brightness is 50%
    5. Bluetooth always off

I appreciate these technique at saving battery but it seems a little extreme just to try and make it through a single day. I never worried about my iPhone making it through a day and it seems the GS3 can't make it to early evening. Yesterday it died at 4:45pm which meant I was without phone until I got home.

Wondering if it could be a defective battery thats all..
  4. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

Welcome to AF, Jabanero!

You might try calibrating the battery by using it until it dies a few times, and then recharging to 100%. It doesn't always work, but it can't hurt.
    I have two S3's, US version, one with AT&T, and one with VZW. The battery life could not be any different, if they were two different phones from different planets! The VZW S3 makes an entire day, and when I plug it in around 7pm each night, it still shows about 80% battery left. The AT&T S3 gets unplugged the same time every morning that the VZW S3 does, and by 5pm each night it has anywhere from 20% to totally dead battery. I haven't figured out the difference yet, still working on that.:confused:
  5. Jabanero

Jabanero Member

Thats what i'm worried about. I originally had the white S3 but exchanged it for the Blue and I think I was getting MUCH better battery life on the white.

Today's update..

75% - Discharging
    4h 42m 31s on battery

Screen 39% - 49m 14s
    Cell Standby 30% - 4h 42m 31s
    Chrome 14% - 8m 31s
    Android OS 5% - 2m 47s
    Device Idle 3% - 3h 53m 16s
    Android System 3% - 7m 14s
    Bubble Shooter 3% - 3m 28s
    Exchange Services 2% - 8m 51s

Can someone help me with this last one..
    Mediaserver 2% - 11m 15s.... What is this !?
  6. spartanrob

spartanrob Active Member

Having similar issues on mine (white AT&T). I'm wondering if poor LTE in my area is causing it
  7. chicoatc

chicoatc Active Member

Mediaserver is your music player (in general).
  8. tw3145

tw3145 New Member

I'm having the same issue. My stats are worse than yours though. See below:

57% - Discharging
    5h 52m 45s on battery

Cell Standby 30%
    Screen 24% - 47m 6s
    Cell Standby 30% - 4h 42m 31s
    Android System 10%
    Exchange Services: 8%
    Android OS: 7%
    Email: 4%
    Device Idle: 4%
    Scramble: 3%
    Mediaserver: 3%
    Music Player: 3%

I've tried everything. I have a black background now. GPS, Bluetooth etc all off. I have really strong reception too as I live and work in the city.

Even tried Better battery stats to find wake locks and couldn't find and did a factory reset. Going to wait for the Jelly Bean update. It that doesn't improve things significantly I'm going to return if for replacement.

It's disappointing. I love the phone, but it's hard to recommend it to people when your battery dies around 9pm every night with low-medium usage. For comparison, my 3 year old iphone 3gs was just making it through a complete day by the time i changed over.
  9. Jabanero

Jabanero Member

Well, i've installed GSam on my device and I have a little more info to share. I'm hoping someone here can share their expertise and offer me some guidance on wether or not this is normal for this device..

Battery Usage: 63% (04:02:52)
    Battery Left 37%

Screen 43.2% (02:05:25) - set to medium brightness for 100% of the usage.
    App Usage 45.7%
    * Facebook 10.3%
    * Various Games 13%
    * Chrome 5.5%
    * System (*wakelock*) 3.3%
    Phone Radio 10.1% (03:45:14)

Wi-Fi active 0.0% (01:25:25)
    Held Awake 0.2% (00:31:15)
    Bluetooth 0.0% (00:00:00)
    CPU Usage 5m20s
    * Keep Awake 53m13s
    * Number of wake locks: 182.0
    * Included Processes: *wakelock*, mediaserver

System Temperature Peaked at 38
  10. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

Your 3GS is a complete different animal then the SGS3. It doesn't have a hi res screen, dual core cpu, gpu etc.... The battery should last longer on that phone.

Jabanero, make sure you turn off your wifi when you aren't using it, if not it will constantly search out new spots, this was advice given to me from I had an iphone many years ago.
  11. markyboy81

markyboy81 Well-Known Member

When you're connected to wifi, disconnect mobile data, and when you're using mobile data disconnect wifi. This will help a lot.
    Also, you could try juice defender as this disconnects mobile data when the phone is in standby.