Battery LifeGeneral

1. drbugsmn

drbugsmn Well-Known Member

So, realizing it is still early, does anybody have an indication of what the battery life will be? I've read a couple of reviews that gave early impressions of it being adequite (coming from a gnex, I don't see it being worse than that).

Anadtech will hopefully have a review on it soon, one of the articles they posted on it had this little nugget

AnandTech | Google Announces The Nexus 5 and Android 4.4 Details

"Battery is the 2300 mAh 3.8V capacity we suspected, which works out to 8.74 watt hours, although one thing the Nexus 5 has over the G2 that it seems to share a platform with is a QFE1100 envelope tracker which offers 20 percent power savings on the cellular power amplifiers".

They end it with hope to have a full review soon.

Advertisement
  2. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I've used 25% in 4 hours with a screen on time of 1h21.

If that translates through 100% of the battery I will be very happy!
    drbugsmn and Gatman like this.
  3. MartinS

Update.
    10h31m on since I got the N5 and Screen on 3h2m
    Started at 91% now on 24% - not bad at all.
    LuvMusic likes this.
  4. LuvMusic

LuvMusic VIP Member VIP Member

It that using "auto" or did you set your screen brightness at a certain level? If it is in auto, your right...not bad.
  5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

It usually takes a few charge cycles to settle in. I'd say thats great battery to start with
    alostpacket likes this.
  6. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

At that rate, it's roughly 15~16 hours if started from 100%. Certainly not bad, but not mind blowing either. Moto X, G2 can do quite better than that. Hopefully it gets better with more charging cycles.
  7. elemein

elemein Well-Known Member

Is that with full brightness and everything else turned on?

Because if so, thats awesome for me. My current phone, an iPhone 4, has fairly usable battery with almost everyting turned off and 30% brightness, so if I can do the same with the awesome features of the N5? Heck yeah.
  8. MartinS

The screen was set to around 65-70% out of the box. I left it like that for a while then set it to around 50% out of preference.

Let's see how we get on today after a night charge.
  9. cgfw201

cgfw201 Well-Known Member

Only a day in so hard to judge, but so far it's noticeably worse than the battery on my previous S3 and S4. I've lost 10% in the last 25 minutes with it sitting on my desk, and have only sent one email!

Find it VERY annoying that there's no setting to display remaining battery percentage in the notification bar. It's two clicks away via the settings, also very annoying that turning wifi on and off is multiple clicks away, rather than within the notification bar on TouchWiz.
    dawsinin likes this.
  10. MartinS

Drag 2 fingers down from the Notification bar to access quick settings. You can toggle the following:

Wi-Fi on/off
    Bluetooth
    Aeroplane Mode

You can also access quickly:

Brightness slider
    Settings menu
    Battery stats
    Data stats
    Location services

(also pulling the notification shade down normally and hitting the top right icon accesses the same quick settings)

Hope this helps.
    shelliewnj and alfick3 like this.
  11. cgfw201

That's exactly the point, it takes multiple clicks when I'm used to using one.

For example
    Turning Wifi/On off on S3/S4
    - Drag notification panel down
    - Press Wifi Icon
    - Can also toggle Data/GPS/Silent/NFC/Brightness etc. all from same menu without leaving

Turning Wifi on/off on N5
    - Drag notification bar down
    - Click wifi icon
    - Drag wifi slider across on next screen
    - have now left the menu so have to drag down from top and start again to change brightness and all other settings.

Significantly less intuitive.

>>> CORRECTION - have just long pressed the buttons, and that does toggle them. The lack of brightness slider remains annoying
  12. CDPlant

CDPlant Let's dooo-ooo it Guide

Day One for me was roughly 9.5 hours battery, 3 hours screen on time, 30% left. However, 5 of those hours were in a place where there was no signal at all, which uses a lot more battery. So I'm happy enough with that
  13. Coops025

Coops025 Active Member

I got mine yesterday with a charge of 75%.

Used it constantly, messing with features, installing apps, taking pictures etc for around 4.5 hours before it got to 4% then placed on charge.

I had everything on in terms of wifi, sync and location services and the screen was on auto.

It should last a day of moderate to heavy usage, however the battery wont be set until it is charged 3-5 times.
  14. MartinS

How about the power toggles widget?
  15. cgfw201

16. MartinS

How is Screen On time? That's usually the main factor.
  17. CDPlant

The GPS being on for the cycling app is going to use a huge amount of battery unfortunately. Is the screen always on when the app is running?
  18. cgfw201

Screen off. the same commute using an S3 would consume about 10% battery, the Nexus 5 used over 25% this morning! (This is with TuneIn Radio also running as well)
    CDPlant likes this.
  19. CDPlant

It's funny how the same model phones can have such a big difference device-to-device. My S3 would have been the opposite to your experience (with the stock battery) - I would use it for ~30 mins in the morning (web, facebook, spotify) and it would be down to 80%, whereas my N5 has held up much better so far. The thing I will miss from my S3 is the 7000 mAh extended battery I had that would last for 2-3 days
  20. cgfw201

21. CDPlant

Can you post a screenshot of the battery graph and screen on time? I'm interested to see how it compares to mine
  22. Gatman

Gatman Well-Known Member

Mine was 90% charged when I took it out. I plugged it in and let it charge about an hour before I turned it on. Got it activated, and then used maps with screen on for my 2-mile commute to work (less than 10 minutes total) just to play.

Maps was my #1 battery usage until well into the late afternoon when I checked. That 10 minutes seriously sucked some juice! I ended up getting about 8.5 hours before dropping below 10%, and was using it heavily. Screen on time was almost 7 hours when I finally plugged it in to charge. I'm not too disappointed in that, but I've been spoiled by that big battery in my RAZR Maxx.

I am making a point to leave it alone and treat today like a "normal" day to see how the battery does.

~Gary
  23. cgfw201

thats what the link is
  24. CDPlant

I mean if you click on the graph at the top you get this screen -

Attached Files:

25. MartinS

So today:

10h43m on battery