Battery LifeGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Could be app data being synced or something else as well?

[​IMG]
    Large drop is from my reboot into ART. Charging was for transferring my music to the device

Advertisement
  2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

I'm going to ride out this day as is, but before I take it off the charger tomorrow I'm going to freeze Google Search/Now in the app menu and see how things are. Once Titanium Backup is a little more stable, I'll try freezing it in that and see if that helps any better.
  3. LuvMusic

LuvMusic VIP Member VIP Member

If you are interested, here is a link to a forum on Android Central discussing the battery drain issues on the G2 with AT&T. at&t only battery drain? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Lots of investigating going on. First suspect was CarrierIQ, now looking at background data syncs. I'm not technical enough to really understand what is going on. Some of the folks over there are diving into the guts of the operating system.

For what its worth.........
    shelliewnj likes this.
  4. jhawkkw

Couldn't hurt to give it a look. But I doubt it's the operating system itself because this is vanilla 4.4 while the G2 is skinned and running 4.2.2 or 4.3 (not sure which :eek:)
  5. thebushyone

thebushyone Member

Any UK users watch out for the skygo app. It can't work on 4.4 yet but in the background it managed to steel 21% of my battery without it even running.!That was over a 14 hour period.
  6. ankushkool

ankushkool New Member

Solution for all battery hogging apps... Greenify Makes a huge difference in battery life in my Nexus 7!
  7. shelliewnj

shelliewnj Well-Known Member

Darn. Root is required. :(

I'm at 12 hrs and 18%
  8. luckydwg

luckydwg Member

At 10 hours 62% will post in detail later in the evening.
  9. jhawkkw

How much screen time?
  10. luckydwg

luckydwg Member

Only 1hour and 23 min. Has been almost a regular use day for me on WiFi most but in LTE for a couple of hours too. I will post all settings I have later once I am through the day.

Attached Files:

11. gordonwd

gordonwd Well-Known Member

I turned off what IMO are the biggest useless battery hogs: Hotword recognition (the "OK Google" thing); Google Now; Location reporting; and GPS (use the Battery Saving option in Location settings). After 12 hours of my typical usage, some with WiFi and some LTE, I'm at 80%.

My Galaxy S2 never came anywhere close to this type of battery usage!
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  12. shelliewnj

Other than tracking it myself, how can I tell? I'm on and off the thing all day. Lol
  13. jhawkkw

By going into the battery settings, it lists your biggest hogs. By tapping on screen, it should display the amount of time the screen was on.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  14. shelliewnj

A few shy of 4 hrs. Is that good?
    Edit: oh, and thank you! :)
  15. jhawkkw

It's not horrible compared to what some are getting, but not near the top either. I got just short of 5 hours yesterday. Was most of your usage on data or wifi?
  16. shelliewnj

I've had data off all day. I actually use OK Google, so that's on too. But everything else is off. Oh, I have notification checks every hr.
  17. reddshift69

reddshift69 Member

10 hours on without charging. Battery at 70%, 1h 1m of screen time with GPS location and Google Now turned on.

So far, it seems to be doing just as well if not better than my N4.
  18. jhawkkw

Yeah, over all it doesn't seem so bad. It's about what I got on my Nexus 4 with a 2100 mAh battery. Though this has a 2300 mAh battery the 1080p vs 720p and larger screen probably cancel out the extra juice.
    shelliewnj likes this.
  19. LuvMusic

LuvMusic VIP Member VIP Member

Another N5 user with mediocre to disappointing battery life AND on AT&T.......another data point! :D
  20. SAL8116

SAL8116 Well-Known Member

Battery life less than I expected on AT&T.

I hope Google addresses this fast!!

I really don't want to try a factory reset unless I have to.

22 minutes of screen time at sitting at 60%.
  21. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Over how many hours?

I'd get a battery monitor app going like betterbatterystats or gsam battery monitor going and make sure you don't have wakelocks
  22. shelliewnj

I know I've asked a lot of questions, and I appreciate your patience! What's a wake lock? I'm assuming that it's an app that keeps the phone on when it looks like it's off?
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  23. jhawkkw

More or less that's the case. If all the apps are dormant, the device goes into deep sleep and runs on very little power. In this state, very little power is used. However, a wake lock is where an app, the kernel, or another part of the OS prevents the device from going into deep sleep and thus uses unnecessary power when you're not using the device. This causes the battery to drain faster than it should/need to.
    shelliewnj and Rxpert83 like this.
  24. SAL8116

13 hours.
  25. SAL8116

Neither one of those apps works. They just open and crash.