• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life

Just download er, open it up, grant SU, hit the + sign, select the apps you want to freeze/greenify and you're good to go.

They won't run unless you open them

Alright, that's what I figured. I have 2 hours of screen today and I'm at 51 percent. I'd still be near 65-70 if not for that hulu wakelock of almost 30 minutes straight.

Upvote 0
Just going through the 2012 Nexus 7 forum reveals many people having difficulty getting their device to turn back on and/or charge after letting the battery on it run empty.

I know this is an old post, but I can definitely attest to it. If my '12 N7 is dead (usually from non-use), it can take a day or 2 to come back to life. I always think I killed it, but if plugged in for 2 full days, it'll have enough charge to boot.

Upvote 0
I'm seeing approximately the same battery life that I have with my Nexus 4, which is what I expected considering the similarity between the two phones. I can get through a day without charging unless it is a travel day. I don't have enough data points yet to post anything more useful than that. Last night at midnight, I arrived in Canada (Wind Mobile). So, I'm just starting my first day with my N5 on Wind. I've seen the same connectivity issues that I had with the N4 confirming that it isn't the phone, but rather Wind's network -- basically, their network sucks up on the 40th floor at my hotel. Even with constant searching for a signal from midnight until 9am, the phone only lost a few %age points of battery. In the US, in a non-LTE AT&T market, I'm seeing the same performance (speeds) and battery life as with my N4.

Upvote 0
So I've just gone through my first charge and I'm pretty happy with the battery life. I received the unit at 12:15 in the afternoon today and as of 4:45 I hit 10% before plugging it in. 3hr 15min screen on, WiFi on, and data off the entire time with the brightness set to auto. I didn't check the % at first but around 1:30 it was at 58% so I'm guessing it was around 70 when I first got it. I'll post more accurate readings tomorrow but so far I am thrilled. Way better than my old HTC One X.

Upvote 0
So, this may be a bit amateurish, but I was wondering whether it makes much a difference if you plug in the phone on or turn it off to charge. Which is better for battery life and performance? I understand turning the phone off every few days to reset things, but should it be a daily thing? I was always curious....

Upvote 0
So, this may be a bit amateurish, but I was wondering whether it makes much a difference if you plug in the phone on or turn it off to charge. Which is better for battery life and performance? I understand turning the phone off every few days to reset things, but should it be a daily thing? I was always curious....

It shouldn't affect anything other than time it takes to charge. Since the device will use some of the juice being provided to it to run, it will take longer to charge if on vs off.

Upvote 0
To me it's very slow...

The Nexus 5 is a massive improvement over absolutely everything over my old iPhone 4.

Except anything to do with the battery. That thing charged like a jack rabbit running from a bearded billy goat.

It also had a much smaller battery, so it took less time to charge. Wasn't the iPhone 4 battery was only 1420mAh while this is 2300mAh. Also compared to how the Nexus 4 charged this is like a jack rabbit.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
It also had a much smaller battery, so it took less time to charge. Wasn't the iPhone 4 battery was only 1420mAh while this is 2300mAh. Also compared to how the Nexus 4 charged this is like a jack rabbit.

Yeah, the battery was far smaller; but it also lasted longer.

Though again, the N5 is better in pretty much better in every other way, and battery life is fixable; so I can imagine me becoming more and more satisfied with this little beauty every day.

And a beauty it is... Clean the screen and place it under a bright fluorescent light and the glare that goes on the screen just... -shivers- :eek: So clean... So neat... So... I'll stop now.

Upvote 0
Just to give you guys an idea of what the phone can do.....

zWPIatW.png

..... if you leave it in your pocket for 4 days

Upvote 0
If you turn off wi-fi you could probably get another day and a half :p Probably a lot of wakelocks involved in there though, that seems kinda low.

Are you running any custom anything?

Although the real question is how you managed to keep your hands off the device for more than 4 days :thinking:
No custom anything :D

I have a Moto X as my main phone and am waiting on a SIM adapter to arrive in the mail, basically I have played with the phone some but have been really busy and it is not signed in to my google account (its a work phone, signed in to a test account).

Once I can put my SIM in though I am going to give it more of a run through its paces.

I did switch it to ART instead of Dalvik, but that was somewhere in the middle of that 4 days. I have done some very very light web browsing but probably less than 15-20 sites. Plus I have tested my own app a little.

Upvote 0
No custom anything :D

I have a Moto X as my main phone and am waiting on a SIM adapter to arrive in the mail, basically I have played with the phone some but have been really busy and it is not signed in to my google account (its a work phone, signed in to a test account).

Once I can put my SIM in though I am going to give it more of a run through its paces.

I did switch it to ART instead of Dalvik, but that was somewhere in the middle of that 4 days. I have done some very very light web browsing but probably less than 15-20 sites. Plus I have tested my own app a little.

Ouu a Moto X. Nice device; was strongly thinking of getting it til' I caught wind the N5 was nigh. However, doesnt the Moto X use a microSIM?

I've been hearing a lot of mixed feedback on ART. I have decided to stay on Dalvik but of course will mess around a lot with kernels and rooting-- atleast until (and if ever) Google releases an update for the N5 that increases battery life and speaker volume.

Upvote 0
I still haven't really "tested" my battery but today I'm going to see how long I can go without charging.

One thing I've noticed is that the phone charges very slowly when connected to my laptop via the usb cable that came with the phone. I generally keep my phone plugged in and charging when on my laptop and my iPhone always charged very fast via my laptop. I had my N5 connected last night for about 4 hours and it only moved from around 50% to 80%. At night, I've been using my Kindle's lightning adapter and that seems to work better.

Upvote 0
Usb 2.0 ports/cords only charge at roughly 500mAh, which means it would take theoretically 4 hours and 36 minutes to charge the device from empty to full if the device was off. If on, then the device is using some of that 500mAh that's going in and thus has less available to charge the device. In fact, if the device is using more than 500mAh, then it will actually still discharge even while plugged in because the extra juice will have to come from the battery.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Usb 2.0 ports/cords only charge at roughly 500mAh, which means it would take theoretically 4 hours and 36 minutes to charge the device from empty to full if the device was off. If on, then the device is using some of that 500mAh that's going in and thus has less available to charge the device. In fact, if the device is using more than 500mAh, then it will actually still discharge even while plugged in because the extra juice will have to come from the battery.

Plus, iPhones are designed to charge at 500 mA, even from a wall charger.

An Android can take advantage and charge drawing a full ampere or more, depending on the model.

Reactions: jhawkkw
Upvote 0
So, iPhones charge at the same rate as Androids? Then why is my N5 charging so much slower via the laptop? Sorry, I'm confused.

iPhones and Androids will charge at the same rate via usb cable, about 500mA per hour. the iPhone 4 battery had a 1420mAh capacity and 1420/500 = 2 hours 54 minutes to charge from dead to full if off. The Nexus 5 has a 2300mAh capacity and 2300/500 = 4 hours 36 minutes to charge from dead to full if off. However plugging into a wall, the wall charger is 1200mA per hour. 2300/1200 = 1 hour 55 minutes by wall.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones