• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I find that Feedly seems to burn through battery really fast, but other than that I'm really impressed with the battery life. I was at a tech conference all day today (8AM to 4PM) and used the Note 4 to take notes using the s-pen in conjunction with Evernote during every session. Pretty heavy use for me (with additional email checking, browsing, etc.) and i left with 30% left on my battery.

I was really satisfied, and REALLY impressed with the s-pen for taking notes. Amazing!

Upvote 0
Battery life on my VZW N4 is excellent so far. I took the phone off the charger this morning at 6am fully charged. After completely setting it up, downloading all of my apps (about 80 of them), playing with various widgets, moving often used apps into folders on my home screens, a little texting, some phone calls, and driving to work and back (80 miles round trip) with location set at high accuracy... I still have 53% battery life at 8pm.

My old GS3 would have been dead by noon. Lovin' this N4!

Upvote 0
I'm not impressed with what I'm getting. I have barely used my phone today (unplugged at 5am and now 11:30am) and I'm down to 58%. I only have 18 minutes of screen on time.

I do have a lot of things running in the background but it is set up virtually the same that my Note 2 was set up. Typically at this time of the day I would have about 85-90% on my Note 2. I do my heavy usage of the phone in the afternoon. I'm guessing my phone isn't going into Deep Sleep at all so I'll have to look into that.

Any quick tips on diagnosing where my issue is? I use a lot of Google services and Location is on High Accuracy. I know I can save battery by disabling a lot of that but I enjoy having it on. At this point I'm just looking for similar performance as my Note 2. I realize I could get far better battery by crippling the phone and turning everything off but I don't really see that as a solution.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Alright guys can someone please offer their input on why I'm getting this horrible battery life when I see others getting 4-6 more hrs then me..all syncs are off.. location is off..what else should look into?
Screenshot_2014-10-25-00-03-31_zpsg8ngprfg.png

Upvote 0
Try a factory reset. Try pulling the battery for 10 Mins. Have you got the latest updates?
Check weather updates, location, flip board and news feeds etc. Check what's running on the application settings and kill any hogs.

I disabled flipboard.. I just deleted the espn widget to see if that's doing anything (I doubt it's killing my batt), location is off or on power saving..weather update I have it updating every 6 hrs..yep I have the latest "battery improving update" tmo released..I have not pulled the battery for 10 mins but I will try that now..

Upvote 0
Ok, here is my take and reason why MY Note 4 (and prior Samsung's) battery drains so ridiculously fast... there is a lot of good advice here but having to carry extra batteries, turn all animations off, leave it on the charger all the time just doesn't cut it, i want to use my phone 100%, not 35% to save battery, unfortunately until Samsung gets this glitch fixed this is what i did...

---------------------

Samsung Galaxy Battery Issues for Exchange Email Users:

Ok the verdict is in, there is a PROBLEM with Exchange Services running on Samsung Galaxy phones. I had a S5 and i noticed my phone would not last through the night, screen brightness is about halfway, not running anything special and the battery would be at about 95% when i went to bed at 10PM and wake up at 6AM and the phone was dead! This happened a lot and when i clicked to see what was using the battery up it said "Exchange Services" which obviously is my Microsoft Exchange account set up with all the defaults (push, etc..). For the heck of it i reloaded the phones software and got the same result, i even sent the phone back got a new one and got the same result, battery draining insanely fast!

I just got my Note 4 a couple days ago and guess what... it was full charged in the AM when i got it but by the time i went to bed it was down to about 23%, now this phone should last a lot longer than that, i checked the battery usage and sure enough, Exchange Services had been using over 50% of the battery.

I guess this is a known issue to some people but i found it hard to find it officially a known issue, but now after my tests i know it is.

I put my phone in NON PUSH mode during off peak days (Sat/Sun) so it checks mail every 5 minutes, i set this to start last night... i went to bed, woke up and my battery was at 96% still. So the push mode of the email must be killing the battery. This somewhat sucks because such a advanced phone should not have these issues, so many people use a corporate Exchange account on their phones (not gmail, touchdown, etc..), this is definitely a Galaxy problem they need to fix.

So... if your battery is draining really fast and you see something that says "Exchange Services" now you know why and how to fix.

Upvote 0
Battery life for the Note 4 seems the reverse of issues compared to the other Qhd G3.

The main battery hog on the G3 is the display and the radio power drain for data is the killah' on the N4.

That is my observation. Samsung still has a lot of needed improvements to make with radio efficiency. The N4 drains with low signal like the S4.

I am in Bowling Green right now with my sons. One has a 4s and one has the DNA. Flaky data with the N4, but fine with their devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones