Battery = Like water in a sieve

Last Updated:

1. skyehaven

skyehaven Member This Topic's Starter

On a normal day I listen to last.fm on the way to and from work (about an hour total), read some ebooks on breaks from work (70 minutes total), and might IM or text, but never for more than a half hour. I usually put the phone on the charger at night, unplug it when I wake up, and then charge it back to 100 before I leave for the day. When I get home from work in the afternoon I generally have somewhere between 25-30% left. Today I did everything just like normal. Half an hour of music on the way to work, 10 minutes of ebook reading, mobile network on--with good signal--and WiFi on. At noon time I was already down to 26%! I put the phone back on standby and puttered around, and 15 minutes later I was down to 23%. While I was waiting for my lunch to be ready I read a book on Aldiko, and after 10 minutes of that I was down another 5%. I've checked ATK to make sure that there wasn't a game or something running in the background to suck out power and nada. Does anyone have any ideas what could all of a sudden be sucking my battery dry, when normally I get 14-16 hours on a full charge? It's draining away now at about twice that rate! Or, alternatively, any ideas on how to get back to my normal discharge rate?

Advertisement
  2. kamikazekyle

kamikazekyle Well-Known Member

I posted this on a few other battery threads recently, but Last.FM was really sucking my battery even though I wasn't using it. It was even *worse* over wifi. I removed Last.FM and everything went back to normal.

3. skyehaven

skyehaven Member This Topic's Starter

That's not a bad guess, but I've been using last.fm every work day since I got the phone and I've never had this problem before. I've done a reboot since then and the battery's still discharging at a crazy rate. I'm starting to think the battery's borked.

4. kamikazekyle

kamikazekyle Well-Known Member

Could be the battery. Your local store might swap the battery out there while you wait.

I know that I never had problems with Last.FM when I first got the phone, but in one of the recent updates it started leeching the battery. It even persisted between reboots and after rooting the phone with hard wipes. As soon as I reinstalled Last.FM and launched it the first time, the problems were unleashed.

You can also grab SystemPanel and run it for a bit. If you use the lite version you'll have to leave it running in the foreground since historical tracking is disabled in the free version, but that'll chart your CPU use over time and show current app CPU usage in realtime. See if something is pegging your CPU. Barcode scanner is another buggy app on my phone, and will peg the CPU at 100% until I force close it (that sucker stuck open + web browsing/downloading will nuke up to 20% of my battery in fifteen minutes).

I kinda wish I could find a monitoring app that would grab historical data on a per-app basis for net use, cpu use, flash writes, and screen use while being able to determine if an app is using system processes. That'd *really* help isolate down battery issues.

5. htmlcssguru

htmlcssguru Well-Known Member

What does your battery stats show in regards to usage? If it's Android running alot then something is running in the background that you're not aware of. Usually its apps that require some 'background data' or location info continually transferred back and forth. For example, the TV guide app requires my GPS to be on (or, location via my signal) and even if i'm on it for just a few minutes to look at what's on it chews an amazing amount of battery life just for that brief time. As soon as i'm done with it I have to make certain my GPS is off (as it may turn it on when the app starts). Then I hit my Task Killer widget to make sure it's not running in the background.

I think it's one (or more) of your apps running in the background or possibly services that were activated by an app that doesn't get shut off when you exited. Also, be sure that you 'back out' of each app. That's the only way to 'exit' them unless you're using a task killer. Many times people don't realize they've left apps running thinking they've exited when all they've done is launch another app over the top of it.

I doubt your battery has gone bad in any way.