battery lost 50% overnight while idle!!Support

Last Updated:

1. skullo

skullo Member This Topic's Starter

i know that there are many threads on battery problems with the htc desire, however i would like to try and understand my personal issue so apologies if i am going over old ground a bit.

got my android htc desire on monday and charged as instructed out of the box however i can literally watch the battery meter go down, last night i unplugged the device at midnight and it slept until 7.30am where it had lost 50% of the charge!!

i have the screen brightness as low as possible, i had only 2G on and no wifi bluetooth etc. also, i have hardly any apps installed and any i thought would work in the back ground i turned off, i even disabled the back ground data option.

strange thing is even when idle the "android system" uses by far the highest percetage of power (70-80%) even while idle and the idle and cell standby are at less than 10%ish.

i read on this forum that a reboot can fix the android system taking such a large amount of power which i did this morning and now it seems better with the % below idle and cell standby.... will this fix the issue??

any input would be a great help.

thanks

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums, skullo.

A lot of battery drain issues are related to background updating (news/weather, etc) and syncing apps (facebook, gmail, etc) working on their own because they have been configured either by default or by the user to do that.

Manually updating and syncing on demand is the obvious remedy for that. ;)

I moved your HTC Desire question to that device's Support area for you.

3. skullo

thanks for that although i do have it set to manual sync and back ground data disabled.

i just can't believe that the (brand new) device will lose 50% charge in 7.5 hrs while idle for the whole time and all radio services except 2G off!?!

furthermore it is sold as having 340 hrs standby time.... i know you will never get that but i am not even in the same ball park!!

is this kind of battery performance considered normal on android phones? if so it may well be going back to orange!!

thanks

4. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

skullo, mine loses maybe 3% overnight. Looks like you have a vampire app. Have you tried a reboot or a battery-pull ? Occasionally an app can get hooked-up and run constantly which will drain the battery.

If that fails to fix it try the FAQ - section 1.5 is the one to read.

5. skullo

thanks griff, i did read that thread already and it was useful. currently in the process of trying that battery caliberation trick... might work i hope.

if not i guess its try a factory reset and start fresh, see if that makes a difference.

fyi - i did a battery pull and have turned off all i can think that would need to run in the back ground.

i would be happy with it lasting 24hrs!!

6. SiHa

SiHa Well-Known Member

Also, you need to condition the battery. All rechargeable batteries, but Li-ion in particular it seems, need a few charge / discharge cycles from new to get full capacity.

Run the phone down until it turns itself off, then turn it on again and let it turn itself off to make sure it's good and dead. The charge it, and do the same again.

Once you've done this, then you should probably calibrate again.

7. tripplec

tripplec Well-Known Member

Yes as stated power off, wait for a bit and then power it back on. I had a very fast discharge after I installed the released 2.2 update. This set it back to normal & about 3% overnight. If its new, cycle the battery 3 times.

Thats fully charge it, and let it run down to at least the orange or when it pops up battery is low. Then fully charge it again. Repeat one more time. You can speed up the discharging by turning on WiFi, it drops the battery pretty quick.

8. SiHa

SiHa Well-Known Member

...or turn on the GPS and Google Maps, that'll do it in about an hour!

9. skullo

so i did A LOT of reading on pretty much every android forum and i seem to have solved the issue as i got from 7.30pm friday to midday sunday this weekend until the battery went.

i thought i would post what i did to resolve this incase there are any other people out there with the same issue...

there were three things i consider fixed this although i kinda did them all at once so i am unsure which or if all made the difference.

1) so in battery settings>battery>battery use, "android system" was higher than idle when the phone had been idle through the night. i read somewhere that turning off and taking out the battery, putting it back and turning back on fixes this, well it might...

2) although i also read somewhere that the Skype app is not well programmed and does not allow the phone to sleep hence the high android system usage and battery drain... i uninstalled this....

3) lastly i calibrated the battery...

i am unsure whether the battery calibration trick actually does anything and think that it is likely that it was Skype that was causing the massive power drain either way, i hope the above may be some what useful to someone...