• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Maintenance

Jay_Droid

Sep 12, 2010
hello guys/gals So this is my first post regarding my first android phone. And i have a quick question on the battery charging. Why is it that in the "help" app on the milestone it recommends:
-draining battery completely
-then recharge it while off till light turns green,
-then keep it charged for another 2 hours

:thinking:

From my experience and researching nowhere does it ever say to do this with any device using Li batteries.

Anybody know why or does this?

(*note this may only need to be done if experiencing bad battery performance, but still?)

It's impossible to completely discharge the Li-ion battery in the Milestone. The circuitry in the battery itself prevents a complete discharge.

It is worth running it to 'empty' and then charging completely - although they have no memory, the Li-ion batteries need be calibrated.

Yes, but that needs to be done from time to time only. At all other times it is better for the battery to be charged randomly.

Upvote 0
When the battery says "Charge Battery" you charge it. My battery tells me this at 20% percent. Motorola intended for those who are not so technological savvy to have a indicator when to charge the battery. However there are some people who run the battery down till the phone turns off. Try to turn it back on over and over(thinking they need to kill the battery totally so it will not turn on). Then use the phone while the battery is charging which causes the battery to get really hot and screw it up. This goes for all these types of batteries which are also in laptops etc.

Upvote 0
Yes, but that needs to be done from time to time only. At all other times it is better for the battery to be charged randomly.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. You only need to perform the calibration process when you get your phone or if you are experiencing poor battery life.

Most of the time you can just use and recharge your battery as needs dictate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones