Battery no longer charging past @40%Support

Last Updated:

1. baciv

baciv Active Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 2, 2010
    I'd love some input from anyone before I take my Incredible in for service, please.

Three days ago I realized that the charging light was remaining yellow long beyond the phone's usual charge time. Even after leaving it plugged in overnight, the next morning I was still at less than half charge, going only by the Settings>About Phone>Battery>Battery Level graphical display. Last night same thing, whether the phone was on or off, still a yellow charge light. Today for the first time since I got the phone, the battery indicator itself turned yellow towards the end of the day.

Preemptive facts:
    Prior to starting a new thread, I did a thorough search and found nothing related to this specific battery issue.
    I have the OEM, red, HTC battery, and have never charged it outside of the phone, or with any charging cable other than the one supplied with the phone.
    When I first received the phone, I charged it fully, unplugged, and bumped charged before turning it on. For about a week afterward I would charge to green while on, unplug, turn off, and "bump charge". I have never had trouble getting through the day on a single charge, and no, I don't think I was training a lithium ion battery, I believed I may have been training the software of the phone itself.
    I have tried charging the phone fully both on and off, and have not seen green for over two days. This includes continuous charging for over 10 hours.
    I have had the phone for roughly seven weeks.
    The phone does charge- just now I have gone from @25% (as measured on the aforementioned graphical display) to @40%, but at that point it seems to no longer charge, although the "Battery State" says "Charging AC" and the little battery icon shows the charging animation.

Have I got a dead battery, or am I missing something? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Could be a bad battery but it almost sounds like your battery stats got dorked up somehow, especially if it always goes to 40% exactly. Rooted users can reset battery stats...essentially charging to full and then resetting, making that the "new 100% mark". Not sure if there's anything that can be done to a stock phone. And again, could actually be a bad battery Idk.

With all that being said, I wonder if a factory restore would take care of it?
    baciv likes this.
  3. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    I wouldn't even go that far. If you are rooted with Clockwork recovery mod, go into recovery, then advanced and clear the battery readings. Then try charging and see if it works any better.

Chances are its just a bad battery though.. :(