Battery Percentage Indicator on StatusBar

Last Updated: 2014-03-16 05:14:52
  1. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

Android show various things in the notification bar. Stuff on the left are apps you have currently running, and will (normally) show up in the notification panel under "ongoing". You can't move them to the right side. The icons on the right are set, system icons. You can hack certain things with root, though, to modify how the system ones act. For example, you can modify the battery icon set to display the battery percentage. Doing so requires root, as it is modifying framework files. It has nothing to do with market apps. It's actually modifying the system.

Advertisement
  2. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member

3. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

I'm confused, isn't that what I said in the first part of my paragraph by saying "...once a person roots..."?

And "editing the registry" is a Windows mobile term that would be the same as "modifying the system" as you say. Sorry, I haven't rooted since moving over to Android when I got my EVO at launch, but I believe what you are saying is exactly the point that I was making.
  4. drexappeal

5. akazabam

Lol, yes, we're basically talking about the same thing. I was just making a distinction between the icons on the left and those on the right. You are correct. Once you root, you can have the battery percentage on the right, in place of the normal battery icons.
    drexappeal likes this.
  6. drexappeal

Okay good. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely confused, since I've only been an Android user for 8 months.

I guess there are really 2 things I miss from Windows Mobile 1) better video calling and 2) administrator access to phone data w/o having to "root"
  7. Sulten

Sulten Member

go over to forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=921151&page=3 and look at post 24 with the zip file attached.
    drexappeal likes this.
  8. drexappeal

Thanks for posting this, but akazabam was the one that bumped my thread. I posted this thread WAY back when I got my EVO last year and already found an app to work for my needs.
  9. s_special

s_special Well-Known Member

is that for root only?
  10. akazabam

Which thing? Replacing your battery icon in the status bar with one that has the percentage? That requires root and a deodexed ROM. You have to flash one meant for the Evo and whatever ROM you have (unless it's for metamorph; then it shouldn't matter).
  11. s_special

s_special Well-Known Member

i figured
  12. closevo

closevo Well-Known Member

I HAD THAT BATTERY ICON WITH THE PERCENTAGE IN IT ON THE RIGHT SIDE WHEN I ROOTED WITH AUTO ROOT v.2.2 Come up automaticly.
  13. mecampo

mecampo Well-Known Member

mikfroyo 4.4 and 4.5 have it too, it shows percentage inside the battery icon
  14. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

15. catty666

catty666 Active Member

Cyanogen also has the pct in the battery icon, optionally. ... As an exercise, I made a battery widget that tries to estimate time remaining. Which has become a popular feature.
  16. bfitnessjoe

bfitnessjoe New Member

On alot of these apps and widgets I notice it is tough to find one that has a percentage reading for example: 79% without it being inside another battery icon. I do not want 2 different battery icons on my status bar! I understand replacing the OEM battery icon or removing it is usually not possible ( Motorola Atrix). I would like to keep the regular battery icon but with the ability to put on NUMBER percentage battery reading without another battery icon on the status bar! If this has been discussed in another forum here please sticky it to me please! Or just let me know what the app is! Thank you. Sadly Iphone 4 got this right and they only display the number percentage (99%) without the battery icon.
  17. Chill out. I use Battery Indicator Pro and your eyes won't even shift to the battery status on the right side of the status bar. My eyes automatically shift to my battery indicator on the left of the status bar with the percentage. Android was created because everyone likes something different on their phone. With Android you can change almost anything and you won't find any phone utilizing Android with the same screen setup unlike iPhones.
  18. EzGoingKev

EzGoingKev Well-Known Member

19. gregs887

gregs887 Well-Known Member

CM7 has an option for that.
  20. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

As far as I know, you are going to need to go with a custom rom to get what you want. That said, I think more of the custom roms these days allow for this option than not.
  21. stktd

stktd New Member

Granite1 likes this.
  22. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i am using the MikRom:
    [ROM] - [MikRoms] - [12/17/2011] - MikG v3.0 - Re-Engineered GB Sense 2.1 + 3.0 - xda-developers

it has the battery life LINE.. at the very top.. very thin line across the top edge.. above the notification bar. the length of the line and color tells you quickly what you have in batter life. I love it!!! if it is half way across the top.. then you have 50% battery.

at first, i did not know what that was.. and thought it was just a bug.. bad position of the screen... and it changed size and color throughout the day? what is that thing... LOL
  23. brianvillage5

brianvillage5 Well-Known Member

I used ninjamorph to change out my system icons. Changing a battery icon takes a little work from the way I did it. But it can be done infact each and everything can be changed on these phones.
  24. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

You are correct, any .PNG found in the Rom can be swapped out. As long as it is the same size and name you're good to go. :)
  25. frankiepapa

frankiepapa Well-Known Member

in the market i found 2x battery...it displays the percentage on any screen and also helps conserve battery life as well