• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Problem Again - help please

I posted the other day about the Desire HD I purchased for Xmas.

I put green power on and calibrated the battery, which seemed to help for a day.

What I dont understand it the phone was charged up last night to 100% 10 hours later with no use at all - it had switched itself off and battery flat.

When I looked to see what had used the battery it said Cell Standby 94%, I dont understand what this means, and how can I rectify it.

I have got wifi, bluetooth, syncing GPS all switched off, I feel as if I had tried a lot but it is getting to the point where this phone isnt fit for the purpose.

Can you tell me if there are widgets on the front screen does that use up more battery?

I cant understand really why I am having to take things off this phone, which is why I wanted the phone in the first place to preserve the battery.

Any help would be very much appreciated - thanks

Thank you for your replies - no new apps installed and have already switched USB debugging on.

I have looked in battery use - that is where I found out about the 94% of battery being used on cell standby.

As I only got the phone through 3 before Xmas I rang them this morning, and I have just been in and they have given me a new battery, not sure this is the problem really, and they advised me to put advanced task killer on the phone, but I think I have read on here about not putting it on.

My problem is I dont really understand what things mean - like cell standby?

Also a couple of times the battery use has shown display to be 90% how can that be when the phone is not being used and the screen display is off? brightness is very low, timeout time is 30 secs.

Will see if the new battery helps the situation.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
You can download something called ASI (android system info) from the market and it lets you monitor your apps consumption. It also allows you to find rouge processes and alerts you what they are say over 40% for 5 minutes etc. This is more of a detail view of what is causing the issue. Remember not to auto close the apps as it might cause more harm then good.

Upvote 0
Nah, he said he turned all sync, wifi, gps off... Something else is causing it and it is coming under the cell standby process which could be anything. Need to target the individual process that is causing it. Need to get a monitoring software on the phone.

By the way, what apps have you installed on your phone. Is it possible you can list them all as some might be causing the issue

Upvote 0
The answer is right there - cell standby. If you are in a weak signal area your phone will constantly be "searching" for a 2G or 3G connection - this severely drains your power.

go settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile networks>Network Mode>Preferred network mode

In the drop down you'll probably see GSM/WCDMA auto is checked.

GSM=2G and WCDMA=3G check one and report back after a days normal use.

Oh and just so you know - anyone who tells you to install a Task Killer doesn't know how Android manages apps and memory. DO NOT INSTALL A TASK KILLER!!!

edit: Oh and you could also try unchecking Always on mobile data too. That has a tendency to drain power.

Upvote 0
Hi try this seems to turn 3g/ internet connection off ( no ads in aps like angry birds ) but allows calls and texts . Menu - settings - personalize - browse all HTC widgets - number 55 mobile network . This turns off my internet connection so 2g ????? . I'm quite new to android so maybe one of the more experienced users can cheak it out .

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for your replies.

Phone fully charged last night - midnight, 8 am this morning completely dead, even refusing to come on at all, so straight back to the 3 shop, whom I must say couldnt have been more helpful and they replaced the phone immediately, so we shall see.

Widehead - I think this may be the problem I am going to try this as the signal at home is very poor so maybe this is draining it - so thanks for the suggestion, will let you know how it goes

Next question, sorry, my son has desire hd and I just noticed that my phone is showing display at 89% whilst his is at 49%, I have been through everything comparing the 2 phones and mostly they are the same, havent put any apps on mine yet. He has his brightness up higher and other things on which I have off, we both have the clock and weather on front screen - any ideas would be great.

Thanks v much

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones