Battery problem identified and fixedSupport

Last Updated:

1. DaveTec

DaveTec Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have had my EVO since the day they hit the street. I've been amazed with the technology and thrilled by it's function. Except for the battery.

I tried every trick or hint that this and other forums have offered, with little or no success.

I did the update yesterday morning. No apparent help, other than to fix a FPS problem that I wasn't even aware of.

After waking up the past 3 mornings with a dead phone (go to bed with it at 60-70% by morning it was dead) I decided to do a bunch of informal tests. What I came up with is by disabling MOBILE NETWORKS (settings > wireless & networks > mobile network) my battery life is now what I would call excellent. I left the phone off the charger last nite and the phone's charge was at 85%. When I woke up this morning it was at 77%.

I even made a shortcut or widget (can't remember which) for the mobile network on/off function.
    When I want internet, I turn it on. Simple as that.

Success!
    This is the coolest phone EVER!
    Dave

Advertisement
  2. xtravbx

xtravbx Well-Known Member

But disabling the mobile networks - you cant receive phone calls, correct?

3. DaveTec

Yes you can. Been getting them all day. The good news is is that my battery is still rocking strong!

All it does is turn off the always on 3G internet connection.

4. SoSickSilvia

SoSickSilvia Active Member

yea i thought turning off your mobile network would disable phone calls and messenging as well as emails

5. fortcollins

fortcollins Member

this is a fix i covered a long time ago. remaining on a 3g network kills battery life. phone calls and SMS still come through. with the htc sense widget on your home screen, its literally like flicking a light switch into and out of a room

DaveTec likes this.
  6. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

mobile network is for internet functions... think of it as turning off your 3G data connection. If you disable mobile networks you will still be able to make and recieve phone calls and texts.

7. DaveTec

It probably does kill your automatic email notification. I don't email much with my phone tho. And when I do, I merely log in.

Phone/Text work just fine.

8. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

Wow, a battery post that's survived on it's own for 15 minutes...Mods must not be out of bed yet!

9. DaveTec

How I overlooked your fix is beyond me. Mod's should sticky in bold letters: FIXED THAT BATTERY DEAL, and post your solution that it took me a month to "rediscover".

I certainly don't need credit, or a medal. I'm just glad to have a phone that I can use without it having to be constantly plugged in.
    :D

10. vgsantiago

vgsantiago Well-Known Member

I don't have phone in hand to test, but I believe if you use Google Voice for texting it will be affected if it's turned off.

11. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

that's correct.

I'm rarely in a situation that this method would work, as it turns off all internet based functions mainly email sync, along with facebook, and the internet itself.

I bought this phone because of all of those handy dandy functions so you best bet I be using them.

On a positive note...on Fresh 3.3.1 I went all day yesterday with heavy use 8am-11pm and still had 9% left when I put it on the charger!

for the original poster:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/150799-battery-tweaks-htc-evo-4g.html

the new method of "sticky" on these forums is a little strange...but much cleaner (i guess)

12. Slick1020

Slick1020 Banned

Old news...

13. E30Nova

E30Nova Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is why the iPhone 2G had ridiculous battery life compared to any of the later model iPhones. 3G is a known battery killer. But honestly, I like to use all the features of the phone, so I'll deal with the battery drain rather than block out 90% of the phones features.

14. xtravbx

xtravbx Well-Known Member

I leave mine on 3G and I have great battery life. Beats me.