• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery problems, quirks and issues: Read first.

Battery results for today are very similar to everyone else, phone QUICKLY dropped to 15% (within an hour and a half) was there for 4 hours, then dropped to 5%, was there for 4 hours, till I popped it on the car charger for, literally 5 seconds ( I forgot I was going to kill the battery so I quickly removed it) and it has been back at 15% for an hour...

So I'm in the boat of meter is wrong, or the meter simply needs to find full charge and full drain a few times to be properly calibrated.

At least it's not a parasitic drain, or chitty battery!

Upvote 0
I have been having the same issues as most people on this thread.
I noticed something interesting.
I just downloaded Battery Graph.
I plugged my phone in overnight, and finally unplugged it around 8AM. The very strange thing is that Battery Graph is showing that my phone was at 80% at 3:45 AM and then has been a gradual decrease ever since (with a 20% increase around noon.)
It seems like perhaps there is an issue with the charging circuit deciding that it is full, and then stopping the charge, even though it was still plugged in from 3:45 until 8AM or so.

Upvote 0
Started my 2nd rundown on my moment tonight around 6:15pm or so, just browsing the web, dilbert, metal detector app, etc. Anything to keep the phone active. Started out at 40% battery and it did drop to 15% within 30 minutes, but then it just stayed there till 7:30 and dropped to 5% and I just got an alert of low battery. Just now it finally turned off and on restart it shuts off immediately after establishing service connection.

So for today, much more activity with more battery intensive things than I normally do and the battery lasted just fine IMHO. Plus the guage seemed much more accurate. Now that it's dead, I'll recharge tonight and see how things go tomorrow.

Upvote 0
The Moment has a plain messed up battery meter, but the life itself does not seem to be bad.

Dude, you hit it right on the head. My phone hit 5%, so I decided I would play YouTube videos to kill the battery. The stupid thing played the videos for a hour straight at 5% battery. The screen was dimmed because the phone thought the battery was about to die. I wish there was a way to calibrate the phone's internal battery meter. It is so far off.

Upvote 0
Unplugged @ 8:30am low useage all day long... Maybe 1 hr of talking 1 hr of internet, couple app downloads and about 50 txt. It has been on 15% for 6 hours with very little use. It is now about 8:30pm and i'm gonna run it pretty hard till it dies

Basically as soon as I posted this a little over an hour ago it went to 5%. For the last hour I have been watching youtube videos, downloading and playing games, surfing the internet, a 5 minute call, and a few text and it starting rebooting itself and I finally plugged it in.

I too have come to the conclusion that everyone else has... the battery meter is just reading the actual capacity wrong. I think it may take some conditioning b/c it still isn't as strong as my PRE but it is def not as bad as I originally thought it was. I'm sure an update will come soon to give us a proper reading.

Upvote 0
I've been off the charger for 12.5 hours and the phone is still going. It was at 15% for a few hours, 5% for a couple more, and now sitting here at 3% and it ain't dead yet. I officially don't think we have a battery problem, just a battery indicator algorithm problem.

Edit: It shut down on my 3 mins after posting this.

Upvote 0
OK, yesterday I took my phone off the charger at 7:30am and it went till 10:30 pm when I went to bed. It still had 15% left and was not ready to die yet even after watching videos and surfing the net. I think the battery life is excellent on it, we just need to push for an update to fix the display issue with it. I would really like to find a patch or widget that shows actual vs calculated percentage. If anyone finds one, please post.

Upvote 0
after killing the battery last night and giving it a "full" charge the indicator says it's only 80% charged. But I'm going through the same thing as everyone else. My phone ran for better than 12 hours while off of the charger and I was using it pretty heavily through the day and purposely tried to kill it last night and STILL had to wait over two hours sitting at 3% before it finally died. I'm on the bandwagon... Bad meter.

Upvote 0
I came here looking for a solution to the only real issue I have with the phone; the battery life. I am finding there is thankfully no issue with the battery, probably as others have mentioned, it is the software that reads the remaining battery life.

I read every post and ironically had a difficult time 'killing' the battery. It was fully charged (100%), at least according to the "BatteryLife" widget, yesterday at 530 am. I made several phone calls during the day, 23 to be exact totaling approximately 4 hours, I sent and received 7 emails one of which contained a 3MB image file attachment, sent and received 11 text messages one of which contained a 1.2MB image file attachment, ran a huge MP3 playlist, which includes the original Halo soundtrack of 26 songs, spent 30 minutes looking through the Marketplace just for the heck of it, and even ran Sprint Nav while sitting on the toilet, about ten minutes worth - I needed GPS to help me find the black hole.

At the end of all that, BatteryLife read "15%". I went to sleep but did not charge the phone. This morning, 8 hours later, I turned the phone on and BatterLife still read "15%"! So my stupid and happy question is, how do I kill the battery?

Upvote 0
I just posted this on the sprint community forums:

I got the Battery Graph app, and it has been pretty enlightening even though I haven't had it a full day yet.

According to the graph (which reads from system info, not absolute info) my phone's battery took 3.3 hours to go from 5% charge to 100%. With the GPS on, the battery indicator went from 100% to 80% in 15 minutes. However, I do not believe that this means I had actually depleted 20% of my battery's juice in that time. Rather, I think the phone and/or battery has a really terrible way of estimating its capabilities.

Why? Last night I turned GPS on and the battery went from 50% to 15% in 30 minutes, but then held steady at 15% for 3 hours before dropping to 5%, at which point I hooked it up to AC power.

Also, around 50%, the graph has a tendency to jump between 50% and 60% sometimes several times before it drains/charges past that point.

After reading several discussions on this forum and the Android forums, I believe the phone also has issues with background apps 'pushing' for info too often and draining power unnecessarily.

Upvote 0
i've been following this thread a lot before i decided to get my moment. i drained my battery die last night, and i was certainly at 15% for around 3 hours, and at 5% for at least another 2 hours. Currently, it seems to be an indicator issue, and not the battery. 5 hours for under 15% is amazing.

i'll keep testing for the next few days and leave my results.

Upvote 0
I think it may just take time to train the battery per se? I know that when you first get a new phone with a Lithium Ion battery.. it is imperative to actually drain it and charge it to full a few times before it stabalizes. I was a little concerned at first too, but I remember having to do this with my last phone as well.

I am on day 2 myself.. first day it hung at 5% for about 2.5 hours with constant texting/ GPS / youtube usage before finally dropping to 3%.. and then 40 minutes later it would not stay turned on any longer. I charged it to 100% last night and then powered the phone off when going to bed. I woke up.. turned it on.. and the meter has dropped down to 15% in 3 hours during usage, but I plan on killing it again and then repeating the full charge again tonight.

Will keep posting my results as well.

I agree with other previous posters! Please do call sprint and notify them of the quirky battery meter. They can probably release an update to help alleviate this issue.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones