battery pullsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Impex

Impex Member This Topic's Starter

quick question, DI being my 2nd smart phone coming from a BB storm. The storm i had to install quick-pull, an app that simulates a battery pull to reset the phone (had it scheduled every morning to reset at 4am). do i need anything like this for the droid? sorry if this is a dumb question :confused:

Advertisement
  2. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

Why did you need to install the app on the storm? I see no reason to require this. Sure, every once in awhile you might want to restart the phone if it starts to act up, but you can just use the power button for that. ( and I wouldn't expect to need to do that more than once a month. )

3. soulfetcher13

soulfetcher13 Well-Known Member

Android operates differently than BB OS, battery pulls are virtually a thing of the past. I am not sure if there is an app in the market the you can schedule when it shuts off and on, but this being my third Android phone, I can tell you that it is an unnecessary function for the most part. Like any other smartphone, it will in fact freeze from time to time but at very infrequent intervals. Welcome to Android.

4. DPDAndroid

DPDAndroid Well-Known Member

Battery pulls are actually discouraged according to most of the Tech Support people I have spoken with from HTC & VZW, It is a last resort........Having been a BB User myself for many years I understand where you are coming from.

5. czm2000

czm2000 Well-Known Member

Same here. I was a blackberry user for many years and am all too familiar with battery pulls. This is my second Android phone, and I'm happy to be telling you, battery pulls are in your past my friend. No longer necessary :)

6. Jahmakan

Jahmakan Well-Known Member

Yesterday I had to pull the battery about three times because the phone became unresponsive (bluetooth issue) but only because the power button did nothing.

7. golfinglenn

golfinglenn Well-Known Member

That was one of the first things I noticed was how fast this fired up. My bb tour took 3 or 4 minutes to load and go. But i could also play with it all day on a single charge lol. Still happy with this phone.

8. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

^^^ never owned a BB

9. Muerte_X

Muerte_X Well-Known Member

I got my Incredible just two ago and it's my first Android phone, so I'm not very experienced with it yet, but the reason you'd have to pull the battery on a blackberry (they may have resolved it since then) was that they had a memory leak where the free memory over time would go down to zero and you'd start losing texts and other info. You had to pull the battery periodically to prevent this.

I haven't seen any reason to do a battery pull on my Incredible, there may be an app to do a "hard reset" but I'm not sure what you'd need one for.

10. Tomoko

Tomoko Well-Known Member

Been doing all kinds of crazy stuff with this phone, shooting video, pics, music, email, etc. No battery pulls necessary. Battery pulls were the main reason I ditched BB altogether and went Android. You'll probably never have to do it.

11. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

This is true but the reason you had to do a battery pull was there was no way to truly turn off the phone completely. The power off option goes into a low power mode.

With other phone turning it off is really turning it off.

12. douger

douger Well-Known Member

...and never saw the memory drop to near zero.

Powering down with the off switch did nothing to recover that memory. Don't ask me why.

The guy at BB who put my skin on has a 9700 which he says he's hasn't had to do a pull in six months.

He didn't have a Storm... :eek:

13. Mitch R.

Mitch R. Well-Known Member

Quickpull was one of the best utilities I had on my bb, ran it at least once a week. Glad to hear this shouldn't be necessary with Android.

14. douger

douger Well-Known Member

I used Quick Launch, which had a reboot option in it.

15. Ruben

Ruben Well-Known Member

According to HTC and VZW, if you pull the battery while the phone is on, it is considered a soft-reset. So if you start experiencing extreme lag there might be a program that is acting up. Then you should do a soft-reset to make sure everything is closed.