• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Impex

Apr 24, 2010
Gilbert, Az
quick question, DI being my 2nd smart phone coming from a BB storm. The storm i had to install quick-pull, an app that simulates a battery pull to reset the phone (had it scheduled every morning to reset at 4am). do i need anything like this for the droid? sorry if this is a dumb question :thinking:

Why did you need to install the app on the storm? I see no reason to require this. Sure, every once in awhile you might want to restart the phone if it starts to act up, but you can just use the power button for that. ( and I wouldn't expect to need to do that more than once a month. )

Upvote 0
Android operates differently than BB OS, battery pulls are virtually a thing of the past. I am not sure if there is an app in the market the you can schedule when it shuts off and on, but this being my third Android phone, I can tell you that it is an unnecessary function for the most part. Like any other smartphone, it will in fact freeze from time to time but at very infrequent intervals. Welcome to Android.

Upvote 0
I got my Incredible just two ago and it's my first Android phone, so I'm not very experienced with it yet, but the reason you'd have to pull the battery on a blackberry (they may have resolved it since then) was that they had a memory leak where the free memory over time would go down to zero and you'd start losing texts and other info. You had to pull the battery periodically to prevent this.

I haven't seen any reason to do a battery pull on my Incredible, there may be an app to do a "hard reset" but I'm not sure what you'd need one for.

Upvote 0
I got my Incredible just two ago and it's my first Android phone, so I'm not very experienced with it yet, but the reason you'd have to pull the battery on a blackberry (they may have resolved it since then) was that they had a memory leak where the free memory over time would go down to zero and you'd start losing texts and other info. You had to pull the battery periodically to prevent this.

I haven't seen any reason to do a battery pull on my Incredible, there may be an app to do a "hard reset" but I'm not sure what you'd need one for.

This is true but the reason you had to do a battery pull was there was no way to truly turn off the phone completely. The power off option goes into a low power mode.

With other phone turning it off is really turning it off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones