Battery Questions? Anyone?Tips

Last Updated:

1. nkk

nkk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Before we start, I would like to apologize to the Mods if this thread is improper for any reason. I figured it was not at all like the other battery threads, and thus merited its own thread. It also will be a pain in the neck for me to hunt through the other stickied battery thread, so I made a new one.

Now, anyone have any battery questions to ask me? I know I promised a very in depth test/review of Lithium Batteries, and that is coming. But internships and life take precedence. However, I have gotten many PM's with questions about batteries, and many of those questions where similar. Thus, this thread. Ask away, and I will answer. I am happy to help the community, as I know about batteries and also feel that knowledge is meant to be shared freely (with citations and correct credits, of course).

I will respond to questions as quickly as I can.

-Nkk

P.S. Just for reference, I am not some random guy answering questions. I am a student of Physics and Chemical Engineering at a very highly esteemed engineering college. My current undergraduate research involves me working in a Battery lab. I am currently working on a new crystal for the cathode of a Lithium Polymer battery. This structure has about 4 times as much charge per gram as the current Lithium Cobalt structure that is in current cell phone batteries.

Also, please no arguing. If you have citations and research to dispute what I say, please present it. Having said that, this is not a debate thread and it is counterproductive to talk about your anecdotes. If they work for you, fine. But if they are not grounded in science and peer reviewed research, they are generally not going to be accepted.

Again, Mods, my apologies if this is in the wrong location/whatever. If you want to move this somewhere else to make it accessible by people not in the DInc forum, please do so. I just put it here because this is where I have been promising things.

Advertisement
  2. IncrediblyCool

IncrediblyCool Well-Known Member

That is awesome! 4 Times the battery life, how long til this technology becomes available for the average consumer?

3. nkk

nkk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Honestly, I do not know. It is actually cheaper than the the material we use now, but as far as I know I am one of the first people to be making and looking at it. The professor I work under made it at the Jet Propulsion Lab, but other than that I have not really seen much on it. I am sure it has been made elsewhere, but not in any large quantities. Before it gets to market, not only do researchers have to first test it and prove that it works as planned with no negatives that were unpredicted, but then a process oriented engineer has to come up with a way to mass produce it. Then companies have implement that process.

-Nkk

4. milnivlek

milnivlek Well-Known Member

So... is there any scientific basis for the claim that it may take 4-5 initial charges before phone batteries are able to deliver their full power?

5. line6ix

line6ix Active Member

1. Is there any sort of harm done to the battery by leaving it plugged in for periods of time exceeding the "full' notification, like overnight for instance?

2. Is it best to charge every day at around 30-40% remaining (or however often this occurs) or to just wait til <10% and a full recharge?

Thanks!

6. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

In simple terms: A long time...probably years before the first ones start to roll out to consumers...and they will be expensive. This is the equivalent of a researcher in a lab finding a way to use a blue laser to record to discs. It took a few years before the first commercial blu-ray players were available, and they started out around $16,000 IIRC. ( Though yes, they went down fairly quick, but still...it took more time before the average user could afford it. )

As for a question of mine:

Some years ago I read in a popsci about a virus (or was it a bacteria? ) engineered to replicate a super-dense li-ion cell that was supposed to be something like 15x the density...however, I have not seen anything at all about since then. Do you know if it just fell through, or perhaps is still moving along at all?

Also, while trying to see if I could find the previous article, I found this one:
    http://www.popsci.com/science/artic...an-improve-li-ion-battery-capacity-five-times
    which talks about an improved anode. Would you be able to combine your cathode with this anode for even greater performance, or are they incompatible?