Battery Recognition Hack

Last Updated:

1. Bankswood

Bankswood Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Many of us with backup batteries that were not Motorola brand have found that after the OTA 2.2 update they will no longer work. Motorola or Google has made a software change so that they will not work. I have two batteries I got off Ebay that I kept in a rotation and quite frankly could not tell any difference in performance.

I am not a programmer, developer. or hacker but it seems that with all the developer talent out there it would be possible to fix this issue. I know I would be willing to pay / donate for fix.

Just a thought!

Advertisement
  2. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

What on the battery is it looking for?

3. Bankswood

Have no idea. Just won't charge the battery and says it's not a Motorola battery.

4. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

i read somewhere that they were getting some warranty returns that had damage from some cheap Chinese cells. they probably did this to prevent it from happening as frequent.

5. Bankswood

Well I can understand that!

6. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Bankswood,

Just did a real-quick search and saw an interesting take on the aftermarket battery issue: its likey that VZW/Motorola enabled or included a check in the 2.2. OTA update to complain about batteries (and not support charging) that do not include a temperature and/or voltage sensor in them (ostensibly to make sure that there are not support issues caused by a "non-standard" battery whose batteries don't include these "safety measures"). Not judging, just passing on some info I found.

When your non-original battery is in, can you monitor the temp. and voltage (or rather, % charged) with something like System Panel?

Thanks.

7. Bankswood

Scary, using System Panel I can monitor the battery, dicharge, temp, and sensor

8. scary alien

Thanks! That blows that theory (and the thinly-veiled reason for VZW/Motorola to have excluded after-market batteries).

I'll keep hunting...;)

9. Bankswood

Scary, I need to back up here a minute. I have been monitoring the battery with System Panel and I don't think it is working. None of the battery values have changed. I have been playing with the phone trying to discharge the battery some and it has not moved a bit. Battery temp has remained a 78.8 F and I know the battery has gotten hotter with use. So I think the answer is it is not monitoring these values.

10. scary alien

Thanks for the follow-up...

That was kind of the gist of the discussion on the Motorola forum about this issue. I.e., that some of the inexpensive batteries were that way because they did not include the circuitry (and probably licensing / royalties) in their batteries.

I guess VZW/Motorola is protecting not just themselves, but also your phone from any abberrant / unexpected behavior from a battery not equipped with these sensors.

Cheers!

11. Bankswood

Thanks for your help. Can't decide whether to dispose of these batteries the eco friendly way or chunk them in a fire and watch.