• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Battery Recognition Hack

Bankswood

Android Expert
Aug 23, 2010
Charlotte
Many of us with backup batteries that were not Motorola brand have found that after the OTA 2.2 update they will no longer work. Motorola or Google has made a software change so that they will not work. I have two batteries I got off Ebay that I kept in a rotation and quite frankly could not tell any difference in performance.

I am not a programmer, developer. or hacker but it seems that with all the developer talent out there it would be possible to fix this issue. I know I would be willing to pay / donate for fix.

Just a thought!

Bankswood,

Just did a real-quick search and saw an interesting take on the aftermarket battery issue: its likey that VZW/Motorola enabled or included a check in the 2.2. OTA update to complain about batteries (and not support charging) that do not include a temperature and/or voltage sensor in them (ostensibly to make sure that there are not support issues caused by a "non-standard" battery whose batteries don't include these "safety measures"). Not judging, just passing on some info I found.

When your non-original battery is in, can you monitor the temp. and voltage (or rather, % charged) with something like System Panel?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Bankswood,

Just did a real-quick search and saw an interesting take on the aftermarket battery issue: its likey that VZW/Motorola enabled or included a check in the 2.2. OTA update to complain about batteries (and not support charging) that do not include a temperature and/or voltage sensor in them (ostensibly to make sure that there are not support issues caused by a "non-standard" battery whose batteries don't include these "safety measures"). Not judging, just passing on some info I found.

When your non-original battery is in, can you monitor the temp. and voltage (or rather, % charged) with something like System Panel?

Thanks.

Scary, using System Panel I can monitor the battery, dicharge, temp, and sensor

Upvote 0
Thanks! That blows that theory (and the thinly-veiled reason for VZW/Motorola to have excluded after-market batteries).

I'll keep hunting...;)

Scary, I need to back up here a minute. I have been monitoring the battery with System Panel and I don't think it is working. None of the battery values have changed. I have been playing with the phone trying to discharge the battery some and it has not moved a bit. Battery temp has remained a 78.8 F and I know the battery has gotten hotter with use. So I think the answer is it is not monitoring these values.

Upvote 0
Scary, I need to back up here a minute. I have been monitoring the battery with System Panel and I don't think it is working. None of the battery values have changed. I have been playing with the phone trying to discharge the battery some and it has not moved a bit. Battery temp has remained a 78.8 F and I know the battery has gotten hotter with use. So I think the answer is it is not monitoring these values.

Thanks for the follow-up...

That was kind of the gist of the discussion on the Motorola forum about this issue. I.e., that some of the inexpensive batteries were that way because they did not include the circuitry (and probably licensing / royalties) in their batteries.

I guess VZW/Motorola is protecting not just themselves, but also your phone from any abberrant / unexpected behavior from a battery not equipped with these sensors.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones