battery saving tipsGeneral

1. Patmagroin

Patmagroin Member

I noticed that when I use cell data the mount of battery usage is just incredible. it last me I would say about half. I have been in the habit of turning off the mobile data when I'm home or anywhere else where there is wifi this helps tremendously it also increases my standby battery time dramatically as well.

please post other suggestions to save battery.

Advertisement
    :
  2. EpicMindWarp

EpicMindWarp Well-Known Member

Search for "betterbatterystats" and try that app - I downloaded an app called "battery dr saver" and it did an excellent job - still at 65% after a days usage.
  3. Patmagroin

Patmagroin Member

That app Is full of bugs. I don't deal with buggy apps. Prefer not to use it than deal with a buggy app. I don't need that app anyways since I figured the problem out myself without buying that buggy app.
  4. mak916

mak916 Well-Known Member

So what was the problem?
  5. Patmagroin

Patmagroin Member

the problem was staying on cell data all the time. Since the speeds of 4glte are so fast I've stayed on mobile data all the time because it wasn't an inconvenience. More than 1 kind of phone turns off the cell data when you are in a wifi network but the SGC 3 doesn't.

What made me think that it was the mobile data and not the actual screen or anything else was that I watched an entire high definition movie which lasted 2 hours and 20 minutes and I only use 20 percent of my battery.

Now I can use my Sg 3 all day long.
    mak916 likes this.
  6. ghost0211

ghost0211 Well-Known Member

juicedefender ultimate is working pretty good for me and is full of options
  7. r12rtpilot

r12rtpilot Well-Known Member

+1 on this...I'm a new S3 owner and I'm playing with my phone a lot...it hit me, most of that playing is right here in my own house where I've got great wi fi. Why should I be burning up my data plan?:confused:

Duh....

Steve
  8. Patmagroin

Patmagroin Member

My data plan is unlimited. The only reason that I use wifi is to save the battery.
  9. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

Many ways to save battery, but first. If you have wifi on and connect to your wifi network, the mobile data is overridden and wifi is used for as long as it's in range. As soon as you lose the wifi signal 3G/4G kicks back in.

Other ways to save battery:

Use a dark/black wallpaper
    Don't use live wallpapers
    Use power saving mode
    Turn off haptic feedback or customise it so only chosen apps use it.
    Set sync settings for email accounts with peak/off peak settings
    Lower the brightness of the screen (20% does me)
    Turn off any unused 'motion' settings
    Turn off NFC if you don't use it
    Turn off location & wireless networks if you don't use it/need it.
    Turn off smart stay if you don't use it.
    Set screen timeout to turn off quicker.
    Turn off the softkey lights
    Turn off auto screen tone
    Try an alternative launcher instead of touchwiz (many use less resources or are more efficient I believe)
    Don't use widgets that poll the internet or change the update frequency.

There's a start, I'm sure there are more things you can do, and if you root you can run custom kernels that are much leaner and streamlined along with access to apps that can customise your CPU frequency for different states, idle/sleep/awake/games etc.

Enjoy.
  10. Easilyamused

Easilyamused Well-Known Member

Bit of an overkill.

If wifi is on, the mobile data remains connected for things like a multimedia message to be sent or received, but it is essentially dormant and consuming little to no power while wifi is connected.

Because wifi handles the data while it is on and connected, battery is saved because wifi uses quite a bit less power than mobile data. Sure, you can turn off data in the Settings menu (tho simply turning on Airplane Mode in the notification bar is easier), but then you would not be able to send or receive multimedia messages or use carrier services that require a mobile data connection.

I leave everything on with brightness on auto and don't use any apps such as Juice Defender (which can actually shorten battery life) and my battery lasts an avg 27 hour. I use it all day without worries.