[Battery] Statistics and Reports

Should we also collect "Battery Use" Information?

1. Yes

111 vote(s)
    88.1%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. arich57

arich57 Well-Known Member

I have been seeing lots of "My battery only lasted 2 minutes with light usage" or "it last 3 days with heavy usage". I wanted to see if we can get a little more scientific then "light" and "heavy" usage since that is very opinion based.

The Incredible has all the information by default that is needed. It can tell you the time the phone has be on, the time it has been awake (doing something not just sitting there), and the battery percentage remaining.

Test procedure:
    See below

This should give us all a good idea of how long the battery will last with varies usage percentages. After I have enough data points, I'll try to make some fancy (maybe) chart.

I will ask people to wait two days before preforming and posting test data. This will give the community 48 hours to suggest improvements to the test procedures or find errors in it (So trying running through it in case I missed a step). After that, I will not update the procedures to make sure all the test are the same.

Let me know suggestions or comments. I think this will be a helpful data and an easy test to do. This is my first Android phone so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Advertisement
    czm2000 and 150_cav like this.
  2. arich57

PROCEDURE STATUS: FINAL

1) Start with phone fully charged and powered OFF.
    2) With phone unplugged, turn on and use however you want.
    3) DO NOT PLUG PHONE BACK IN AT ALL DURING TEST. DO NOT POWER OFF PHONE. This ruins the data.
    4) When your battery is low, Go to Settings->About phone->Battery.
    5) Record the Up time, awake time
    6) Plug phone in and record battery percentage (The easiest place I know of to get this data is in the desktop clock app).
    7) Post data:
    UpTime: HH:MM:SS
    AwakeTime: HH:MM:SS
    UnPlugged time: HH:MM:SS
    Battery %: %
    Wifi: On/Off
    GPS: On/Off
    Bluetooth: On/Off
    Always on Mobile data: On/Off
    Sync: Number of accounts auto-syncing.
    Hack: <airplane mode|charge, unplug, charge| none>
    7b) Optional: Include application use under "Battery Use"

Unplugged time:
    Application 1: %
    Application 2: %
    Application N: %

8) Continue with your regular forum browsing

UpTime data location: Settings->About phone->Battery
    AwakeTime data location: Settings->About phone->Battery
    Unplugged Time: Settings->About phone->Battery->Battery use (Top Banner)
    Application data location: Settings->About phone->Battery->Battery use
    Enable Always-On Mobile Data: Settings->Wireless and Networks->Mobile Networks
    Sync: Settings->Accounts and Sync
    Battery data location: Desktop clock while phone is plugged in. (anyone have a app that would be better to use?)
    Hacks: http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/75220-battery-fixes-tips.html
    Suggest installing Battery graph app: http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.modroid.battery

then you can just export the data after a few days, and I can work from that.
  3. arich57

4. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

I think that's asking a lot of people lol. It's just so much easier to bitch about it than to put any effort into finding out why it's happening.
  5. inTECHrity

inTECHrity Well-Known Member

better make sure you keep bumping this badboy...

Count me in though!
  6. arich57

So true. Not looking forward to having to dig through post for the data when all the arguing starts.

That's the life in forums though...
  7. arich57

Good point. Maybe I'll get lucky, the Mods we have pitty on me and this will become a sticky (I think that means it stays up top right?).
  8. arich57

Question: Is it worth getting the Battery usage percentages also from everyone? More data is always better but I don't know what this will gain.

Thoughts?
  9. 0tter

0tter Active Member

Uptime: 20 hours
    Awake time: 4.2 hours
    Battery Level: ~20%

Wifi, GPS, bluetooth turned OFF.

This is my first cycle on this phone. Got home with it, charged fully before turning on. Finished charging and turned on at ~6pm yesterday evening, put on charger when I got home this afternoon, around 2pm EST.

Too impatient to wait 2 days. ;)
  10. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

UpTime:7:32
    AwakeTime:1:58
    Battery %:62%
    Wifi: On
    GPS: Off
    Bluetooth: Off
  11. arich57

Thanks.

Gives me a chance to start figuring out how to sort/display data.
  12. arich57

That is 07 hours 32 minutes and 1 hour 59 minutes? I'm assuming so but want to make sure.

Thanks for the help.
  13. pikappetapi022

pikappetapi022 Well-Known Member

Where do you find the up and awake time as well as battery %?

These are my numbers:
    Android system 96%
    Cell standby 3%
    Display 2%

Are these good percentages????

PJ
  14. arich57

Up/Awake time: Settings->About phone->Battery. It will be at the bottom.
    Battery: plug phone in the go to desktop clock.

I don't have know about the specific application percentages. I'm not sure exactly what they mean(yet).

Someone correct me but are the application percentages how the awake time is being used? That seems to make sense to me but this is the first Android phone I've had so not sure.
  15. ChiTownJim

Yes it is. I'm actually pretty happy so far. I used my Eris battery yesterday since it's already broken in and can tell you straight up I'm getting better life out of the Incredible .
  16. ChiTownJim

Yes it's the percentage of how much each program has used of the battery. Android system should probably always be on top

actually I stand corrected here are my percentages

cell standby 24%
    Android 25%
    Phone idle 21%
    WiFi 18%
    Display 8%
    Dialer 2%
    Camera 2%
  17. arich57

Awesome. Thanks for verifying.
  18. arich57

Delete.
  19. ejkeebler

ejkeebler Well-Known Member

I think a more accurate account might come from setting up a particular scene for the people who think battery life is going well and the same scene for those who arent having such luck, rebooting there phone and then looking at the figures after about 20 minutes, also listing what services are running. right now i removed all my widgets, except the weather/clock (htc), the power settings (android), the slacker widget and the mobile networks toggle.

When I got the green light charge and the lock screen dispalyed 100% I played the shoot ui game for about 10 minutes and I was already down to 87% that was with mobile network off, bluetooth off, wifi off, gps off, display 23%, etc.

I'm not sure what simply posting our % will prove. I'm guessing everyone will have a pretty large % for android system, the rest will be mixed with a few other things, except for the people with the 3g signal problems. But I don't think that's the only issue.
  20. arich57

I agree building a test scenario would be better. But I was trying to just find an easy way without people having to change their phones to much.

We the UpTime, AwakeTime and battery level- we should be able to get an idea of "If I have X% Utilitzation, I should get X battery life."
  21. jimbiss

jimbiss Active Member

UpTime: 29:07:48
    AwakeTime: 18:45:32
    Battery 14% after about 10 hours - i would like a bit more
    Wifi: /Off
    GPS: On
  22. THORN74

THORN74 Well-Known Member

not in test format, but just some raw data

first charge, HEAVY use (wifi, bt, 3g downloads etc...) setting it up and playing with the "new toy" it lasted about 6 hrs. i ran it till it died.

2nd charge: plugged in at 630~700pm was 100% charged ~8pm. 8pm til today right now as i write this 23hrs 16m 11s since unplugged and i still have about 2/3 battery charge. Todays usage was more accurately typical of my phone useage .... 2-3 phone calls some web surfing, 10-15 emails, and a few bacak and forth texts. most of the day (including last nights sleep) was standby mode.

i wouldnt say im disapointed, but i wouldnt say im impressed either.
  23. grokr989

grokr989 Well-Known Member

UpTime:19:47:42
    AwakeTime: 04:00:00
    Battery %:29 %
    Wifi: On
    GPS: Off

Unplugged time:19:47:40
    cell standby:29 %
    phone idle : 25%
    android system :24 %
    wifi: 8%
    display: 7%
    voice calls: 5%
    dialer: 2%
  24. inTECHrity

inTECHrity Well-Known Member

Up Time - 23:14:55
    Awake Time -4:02:42

Cell Standby 34%
    Phone Idle 27%
    Android System 20%
    Camera 6%
    Display 6%
    Wifi 5%
    Voice Calls 2%

21hr 6min since unplugged

Current Battery - 12%
  25. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "After about 10 hours"? Because that says your phone has gone 29 hours since it was last plugged in, and almost 19 hours of that time it has been awake.

To the OP: I think we should add in setting for "Enable always-on mobile data" as well as Sync options.

Finally: I think once you get low on power, you should try to periodically check all of the numbers ( Including the indicated battery percent ) and record until the phone actually shuts off. I think the majority of battery problems, is that people have not properly calibrated the phone to the battery ( and I almost think there might be problems with the way some Incs calculate the power in the first place. )

For all we know, someone who posts a 6 hour full to low battery, still has 18 hours worth of charge in the battery. ( I know 2 days ago I was getting like 4-8 hours of charge, and now I've gone about 17.5 hours and am reading 70 percent...granted after about the first 6 hours I turned off "enable always-on mobile data", but I still read 90 percent when I did that. )

Also: It is important you do NOT turn the phone off and back on. This resets info just like plugging it in. As such, I can't post data for this charge...once I hit 40% I'll charge back up since that is the ideal time for a Li-Ion anyways, then give it the full rundown, and I'll even try to remember to record things every half hour or so ( That I'm awake, hehe. )