Battery stats - Great debate

Last Updated:

1. viperlocc

viperlocc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Decided to do my own little test on which is better: Wipe stats when dead or wipe stats when full.

Did both tests twice, each on a different Cyanogen nightly/kernal and ran the same from full to dead (well as close to possible). (Pandora, web surfing, minor phone calls/messaging, weather widget on home screen, gps/wifi on)
    All phones turned on @ 5:30 am

Cyanogen nightly 9/22 with kernal #14 - 557mhz/710mhz screen on, 352mhz/480mhz screen off.

-test one - full dead, reboot to recovery, wipe stats, turn off and full charge overnight (6.5 hours on charger)
    --20% battery by 10pm

-test two - full dead, charged to 100% overnight off, boot to recovery while plugged in, wiped stats, reboot to full on, unplugged from charger
    --48% battery by 10pm

Cyanogen nightly full #76 with kernal #5 (9/28) - same OC settings

-test one - full dead, reboot to recovery, wipe stats, turn off and full charge overnight (6.5 hours on charger)
    --dead by 9:20pm
    -test two - full dead, charged to 100% overnight off, boot to recovery while plugged in, wiped stats, reboot to full on, unplugged from charger
    --59% battery by 10pm

Conclusion: From my experience, test two works out best, for me. Every phone is going to be different. Everyone runs their phone differently. But I feel that test two might be the way to do the battery wipe.
    Hope this helps out for anyone.

Advertisement
  2. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Test 2 is the only way to wipe your battery stats;)

Great tests:)

3. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

Your "test 2" is the way to do it as it is the proper way to calibrate the battery. The other one is so far off as it was done wrong, after all, if your battery was fully discharged how would you boot to recovery to wipe battery stats.

4. viperlocc

viperlocc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Some people have stated to do it as test one. When my phone shut down from dieing, it allowed me to boot into recovery with enough time to wipe stats

5. andygu3

Nah, test 2:D lol!!

6. chawski

chawski Well-Known Member

ive never messed with any battery stats, but last night when i plugged back in after being off the charger since around 8am, I was just under 50%. OCd to 518/710

7. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

yep i remember specifically that decadence over at XDA forum said #1 is the way to calibrate the battery. hes an actual developer and builds kernels and whatever else so i took his word for it. but after seeing your results i am going to try #2 also. #1 still makes a lot of sense for me tho...why would you wipe battery stats after a full charge, wouldn't that delete the battery info and make the phone think its back at 0? o wells i'll try both and see what the results are.

8. stayclean

stayclean Member

Test #2 is almost the instructions from the CyanogenMod wiki. Charge to 100%, reboot to recovery, wipe stats, reboot, unplug from charger when the phone is fully booted up, run the battery down until the phone shuts off completely, then recharge until 100% (don't take it off the charger).

9. chinkster

can you please provide the cyanogenmod wiki link as to how to calibrate battery.

10. andygu3

CyanogenMod Wiki

Just hit trouble shooting and battery recalibration

11. chinkster

thanks got it. will try these exact instructions then hopefully my percentage will be accurate from now on

12. Joehunni

Also, from what I've gathered, by wiping data and cache (factory reset), you're also wiping the battery stats. I've only calibrated my battery once and in all honesty, it made no difference. Under no circumstance will calibrating the battery improve your battery life (as I understand) it will simply give you a more accurate readout of it's current level.

13. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

I agree with everything you said. However, it MIGHT make a differnce when your "Plug in your phone NOW" message comes on to annoy you...if the guage reads pessimistic. :) In reality, we'll never know if wiping the stats did anything

14. Joehunni

True, I'm just sayin, I have a life and it's a PITA to properly calibrate the battery and not really seeing any positive outcome doesn't make me wanna do it ever again.

15. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Agreed. :)