Battery Still Sucks! What gives?Support

Last Updated:

1. candi3188

candi3188 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't get it. I have done all the fixes listed here on the site. My phone appears to be sleeping a reasonable amount of time according to BatteryHistory and I've killed DRM and Media Hub and Hotspot with System Panel. I've done the airplane mode toggle (currently 0% TWS) and disabled 3g with QuickSettings. The other day, I got 10 hours of battery life, which was the longest I ever had. Right now, after about 4.5 hours off the charger, it's at 41%. I've talked for 41 minutes, display has been on a total of 40 minutes. I very briefly played Krazy Kart, used bluetooth to transfer a file, updated some apps, and sent a couple of tweets.

This is what I have going on:
    Using WidgetLocker and LauncherPro
    Touiteur Widget
    Sportstap Widget
    Buzzbox News Widget
    WeatherBug Widget
    K-9 checks mail once an hour
    Brightness set to second lowest setting

What do guys suggest? Do you think my widgets could be the culprit?

Advertisement
  2. Android XTC

Android XTC Banned

Well something is using the power. Do you make sure all your apps are closed and shut down before the phone goes into sleep mode? My battery drain has gotten better since the last update. I'm getting good battery life now. Do you have DI18 loaded in? If you get into trouble PM me it looks like we might be neighbors anyway.

3. iBleedBlackNgold

iBleedBlackNgold Well-Known Member

my advice . . hard reset and only dl essential apps that u need either for work or w.e ..... don't dl all that extra shit to assist in battery life or none of the useless apps most tinker with twice and dump. u will notice a difference without having to lock down the phones settings

4. vertcobra99

vertcobra99 Well-Known Member

why don't you try juice defender... it was great for me.

5. vertcobra99

vertcobra99 Well-Known Member

you should really try juice defender... It works amazing for me.

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Weather Bug is a notorious battery/resource hog if configured to update in the background. I have mine set to manually update on demand; that one change caused my battery use to improve the first day.

I learned long ago to knock off any background syncing or updating with these things; I'll check things as needed.

That goes for GPS being off until needed, as well.

7. jonra

jonra Active Member

Seriously, Weather Bug absolutely killed me too. I was absolutely positive it wasn't it at first, I didn't even have it running as a widget, but I have installed and uninstalled it THREE times and tested out... and man, that app just annihilated my battery. No idea why, but it was a big part of it.

Plus, display on for 40 minutes, talking for 41 minutes... that will kill it fast. I consider the battery merely OK at best, but I wouldn't be surprised if the display for 40 minutes alone killed off 50% or more.

8. kahale

kahale Well-Known Member

if you really want your phone to last the longest. then you need to basically cripple the phone. first get rid of weather bug and launcher pro and all data accessing widgets on your home screens. set your screen to auto brightness. turn off all radios (3g, 4g, wifi, bt). turn of auto sync and background data in android settings. get a task killer from market and kill all tasks before you put your phone to sleep. you can find out whats using your battery the most with a app called spare parts.

9. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I respectfully disagree with that.. although I see your point; I think more is promised with these devices than can be delivered if we configure it for total convenience. In other words, if we have most apps and widgets set to update for us instead of us updating most of them manually when needed.

10. BigD562

BigD562 Well-Known Member

Auto Brightness will you more energy then just setting it to the lowest setting because your supplying power to a sensor.

11. Keybeeetsss

Keybeeetsss Well-Known Member

+1 to this post...

LP doesn't affect my BL @ all; I'm now averaging 18hrs with lots of stuff on screens, Weather Widgets, etc...

12. candi3188

Thanks for all the responses guys (and gals). I didn't think it was Weatherbug, but I'll look into that. It sucks if it is, since I love it dearly. Can anyone suggest one that is less intensive?

I'd rather not cripple my phone for the price I paid for it, ideally it should perform optimally doing the things it's made for. According to my phone's battery usage, at the time I posted, the display used 73% of the battery and voice calls used 14%.

To those that are using JD, what are your settings? Also, is it JD Ultimate or free? I've tinkered with it a bit, but it didn't seem to do much for me, but I could have been being impatient.

13. rjcc

rjcc Member

display on for 40 minutes is a long time. there's not going to be a lot you can do about that.

14. DILands

DILands Well-Known Member Contributor

AWESOME!!! I have Launcher Pro - with the weather updating every 15 minutes - Let's change that to manual - and see what that does. . . .

15. kahale

kahale Well-Known Member

yup just listing some ideas to save battery. i did say it was the total extreme. :)

16. Inferno4213

Inferno4213 Well-Known Member

Here's the best advice you'll get: buy two extra batteries and a wall charger from eBay. It's only $10 for all of it. You'll never be crippled by battery life again. You can just carry around an extra battery, which isn't inconvenient at all (or at least for me).

17. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

what settings do you have weatherbug updating? does it turn on your gps to check location each time? also, how often are your widgets updating? constant data will suck battery.

i just posted my juice defender settings, but i can't guaranteed it will work for you. it all depends on personal usage.

18. Epicurean

Epicurean Well-Known Member

Didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but live wallpapers are expensive on the CPU, too. Try to use a dark, mostly black wallpaper. The black pixels in your wallpaper use no battery power.

19. mojomojo

mojomojo Well-Known Member

I just got 24 hrs on battery and I use live wallpaper.
    No weather though.

20. DILands

DILands Well-Known Member Contributor

Changed Launcher Pro Weather to update every 16 hours.
    Went in and killed apps that were running.
    Checked that it was in Airplane mode.

Dropped about 40% overnight in maybe 8 hours.

21. candi3188

I did have it updating once an hour, and it also showed the temperature on the top bar. However, after realizing that may be a bit much, I took it off the bar and also am updating manually. Today, I'm getting better life.

58 minutes of talk time accounts for 70% battery use. Display on for 52 mins accounts for 12% use. Cell standby is 7% with 8% TWS. It has been unplugged for 8 hours, 42 mins. Also, what exactly is "Media Server"? That has used 3% of battery.

22. Comenius

Comenius Member

Something which helped me was to make sure I didn't have any widgets on home screens I was no longer using.

I started using LauncherPro recently. I read that I needed to go back to the stock launcher temporarily and remove all of the desktop widgets that were still there. Seems they still run and take juice even when they're not visible.

Now after switching back to LauncherPro the phone is more responsive and I'm getting much, much better battery life.

23. rmingee

rmingee Well-Known Member

Seriously? What if I am using the same widgets in LP? surely I'm not paying twice, am I? I had originalyl left all that stuff set up in case I decided to go back to TW, but at this point I can't imagine going back.

Thanks,
    -- robert

24. Comenius

Comenius Member

You don't have to uninstall them, just drag them off the home screen of the launcher you're not currently using.

It's possible this isn't necessary, but it appears to have really improved my battery life for me. YMMV.

25. candi3188

Those of you that suggested using JD, are you rooted? I've read around that disabling 3g doesn't work properly on CDMA. I keep getting this error:
    I have installed JD UltimateJuice, after seeing on the forums that it has helped battery life significantly. However, after configuring it, I keep getting this error:
    ERROR: Error enabling data, giving up
    Warning:[null]
    Warning: RemoteException!
    Warning: Error enabling data, retrying

It should be turning on wi-fi when the screen is on and 3g should be disabled all the time except for 3 minutes every hour. My 3g seems to be staying on.
    Has anyone else encountered this? And have you found a solution? I swear, I have tried everything with this battery...