• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery suddenly has much shorter life

If you have been in the habit of using most of the battery capacity with each charge,
ie, below 20% almost every time,
then Li-ion batteries will just up and quit on you one day...

Li-ion batteries can last almost forever if you never allow them to drop below 40% ( most of the time )

I have a 6 year old Galaxy S with the OEM battery and it is still very good.
but, I am a die hard, keep the battery up above 40% type guy.

Upvote 0
Interesting what you say but it shouldn't be so....I thought these had no memory effect etc. Anyway I have bought another battery hope this fixes things

Whoa, I did not say they had a "memory effect", that is relative to NiCads.... and those puppies needed to be run down all the way and then recharged....

I said, that if you persist in running a Li-Ion below 40%, way below, like down to 10 or 20 percent, that you will decrease the life span of the battery, and when a Li-Ion reaches End of Life, it just quits working.... and just prior to it not taking a charge, it will have very shortened discharge capacity. Just like you describe.

I just got a healthy dose of that 3 days ago. I use a Blue Parrot Truckers XL250+ headset.
I use it for 6 or 8 hours a day and then I recharge it when I hang up the phone..... ( I talk to a trucker buddy for many hours at a time, to help him get down the road... usually twice a week )

That BT headset is right at 3 years old, and in the past 3 or 4 weeks, it has started "warbling audio" and I would have to connect the charger to get it to connect to the phone and then I could unplug the charger.

3 days ago, it just simply refused to work at all, it will not connect with good audio, it warbles so bad I cannot understand what is being said.... so I ordered a new battery... it is a Li-Ion

Upvote 0
I suggest you FDR the phone, start all over, and carefully replace the apps you use.

The more suspect ones, the need a lot of battery power, leave them off until last...
ie, games....

leave off all Social apps, use a browser instead. Social apps are horrible.

Turn off all Notifications, period.
Email: Turn off all Notifications, do not allow it to have access to the internet until you open the email app. I use Aqua Mail and I have gone into settings and set it up so that it will not even look for new mail until I swipe from top of screen to bottom of screen. That prevents it from drawing excess battery power.

* Email Aqua Mail - Android Apps on Google Play

I can leave DATA on all night, and my phone will only use about 4-6 percent of battery....
No app on my phone can access the internet unless I give it permission to do so....
The internet is what is killing your battery, I am willing to bet you a whole box of donuts on it.

Upvote 0
Also, go into Google Play Store, and "Your Apps/Settings:"

tell it to NEVER AUTO UPDATE....

that is a horrible battery monger and it is pointless... there is no reason to update an app unless it refuses to work for you.... I very rarely ever have to update an app... usually that is always tied to a high security app like for my financial accounts.

Upvote 0
Whatever I do it's not going to make any or much difference, and I am not doing a reset either, this does'nt nessasarily work from what I've read...The only help is to turn off mobile data when I am not using the phone, shoud'nt have to do this but too bad. Bang goes using the phone for any videro audio etc for a resonable amout of time

All I know it was 100% fine a week ago, with notifications on etc etc

Something is causing a problem but I will never find out what it is, just have to live with it. Had the same problem with my S2..

Upvote 0
Well well this is nost peculiar, as sudently as the battery started to drain rapidly one day now tonight after a full charge all seems well again, instead of usually seeing 4 hours or so battery life left I now see 1 day 7 hours after 1 hour 20 mins unplugged so something has changed it must have been an update to a 'leaking' app I guess, can't think of anything else but hope it lasts !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones