• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Swap - NFC

jcolt

Feb 28, 2011
NY NY
I have been totating between two batteries on my Nexus and yesterday I went to use NFC and it didnt work. I did some research and it appears that when you swap out batteries, you need to register a new NFC token with the phone as the battery is what actually houses the NFC. Does anyone know how to register a the second battery NFC token without factory resetting the phone? I have read a couple of place that you need to do a factory reset which is just not practical.

Has anyone else swapped out batteries and been able to use NFC without an issue?

The battery doesn't house NFC at all. The only thing that the battery houses is a little metal antenna that communicates back to the NFC chip in the phone.

Something else is going on there.

I swap batteries back and forth and use NFC. I don't use secure NFC (I'm not making payments for it - I'm using little NFC tags that I've programmed) but the battery doesn't house anything intelligent.

Reactions: trophynuts
Upvote 0
Thanks, I guess I mispoke, the antenna is in there.

Well maybe it something with secure NFC because google wallet did not appear to work with the different battery. I searched on the web and saw some of the blogs qouting Verizon as saying
“Customers attempting to use more than one battery with the Galaxy Nexus may have less than an optimal experience since the NFC chip within the battery must register a token between the device and the battery each time the battery is swapped.”

Good to know the NFC works for you with the tags. Maybe this is just a google wallet thing. BTW - I was thinking of getting some NFC tagsfor personal use...could you point me to the tags you bought since you say they work. Many thanks

Upvote 0
Interesting....

The tags I used, and the application I used, is from this thread:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/467394-anyone-tried-nfc-task-launcher.html

I bought the hobbyist starter kit from tagstand, the "tagstand manager" pre-formatted version. I then use NFC Task Launcher as a jumping off point for Tasker tasks. NFC Task Launcher will create a variety of different tasks, but Tasker is more flexible and comprehensive. NFC Task Launcher has a great option where you can create an NFC tag that will launch a Tasker task - so I have, say, an NFC tag in my car that launches a Tasker profile that turns on GPS, opens Navigation, and sets my destination address for my home.

Pretty slick.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones