Battery Temperature

Last Updated:

1. melmigs

melmigs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have the BatteryLife widget and it has an option to show the temperature of the battery (it may not be 100% scientifically accurate but I'm sure it's close). Usually my battery sits around 70 degrees when it's not being used. Last night I was talking on the phone for a little over an hour and I noticed it was getting pretty hot. After I ended the call I looked at the BatteryLife widget and noticed the temperature was at 107 degrees. Is it normal for a battery to get this hot after talking on the phone for just an hour?

Advertisement
  2. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

The battery on my laptop regularly runs around 85 degrees when not charging/discharging so I don't think that is unreasonable.

3. baddriver

baddriver Well-Known Member

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: The temperature is elevated when current is flowing. More current (more phone usage) more heat. The CPU and other processors also generate heat and they are pretty close to the battery. CPU intensive processes and GPS as well as other sensors use current and heat up.

108f is about the highest I've seen on my Droid with the same widget. It is normal during use to see it go high.

4. melmigs

Thanks for the quick reply! Just wanted to make sure I don't have a crazy battery/phone

5. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member

That seems uncharacteristically high for a battery. There are factors to consider though:

-Warm batteries or phones stored in pockets etc tend to shorten the life of the battery even when fully charged. This is just inherent to lithium ion polymer tech
    -Those widgets may not be 100% accurate in the temperate reading

Did you have the phone plugged in while talking? Sometimes that can cause it to be hotter than normal.

6. melmigs

It wasn't plugged in.

7. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

It depends on what me and the wife are talking about mostly. :eek: :D

8. starnesc

starnesc Member

You nailed it.:D

9. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member

Well now MY ears are what's burning :p

10. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

I was browsing the web for a bit and I can definitely feel it warming up.. the keyboard also around the left side gets pretty warm too.. it got really hot on the back right between the camera and google words on the back.

I'm gonna use it for a while and see how long it takes and how hot it gets. If it starts to heat up way too much ill get another droid. I've got a build date of 45/09 too I think

11. Punkinhead

Punkinhead Member

My battery was running hot and I ran across a thread saying to do the *228 network update. Maybe it's just pure coincidence, but it actually seems to have worked. I don't have any idea why this would effect battery temperature or if it's all just my imagination, but there's no harm in trying.

12. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Yea mine gets hot but then cools down pretty quick though.. I put it in my pocket after I just made my other post and less than 2 minutes its was cool again