• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Temps... Just curious...

Highest I've ever seen mine is 45 C. Right now - sitting idle for a while, not plugged in - @ 27 C.

More than likely that (high) value occurred when the battery was charging (wall charger) and I was simultaneously doing something online across the mobile network (that uses more power than WiFi typically, esp. if you are in a weak signal area).

Paradoxically, it seems that the fastest way to discharge the battery is to restart the phone in "fastboot" mode (Call + End). The phone will not charge even if plugged in when in that state, and it would appear (given how fast it discharges) that the CPU is running wide open in that mode - no power management at all.

High temperatures are worse than moderate temperatures when it comes to battery life - if you have a USB hub (or a computer that is left running overnight), charging the phone using real USB (instead of the wall charger) is "nicer" to the battery, as it only charges at about 0.5A instead of 1 Amp.

I think Caddyman was the first to mention that it is possible to run apps & network traffic on the phone in such a way that the phone will actually continue to discharge even though it is plugged into a USB hub - presumably that means the phone is dissipating more than 2.5W. If you can find a set of conditions that does that, and want to see how hot the battery will get, discharge the battery, plug it in to the wall charger, and then run that set of conditions for an hour or so - then check the battery temp.

hth

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones