• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery that is better than stock but still the same size?

reload69

Dec 27, 2015
Hi I would like to replace my S5 battery but since i am doing so i was wondering if there is a better battery than the Samsung Galaxy S5 Battery EB-BG900BBC My phone came with. I know there are some batteries that are stronger but also larger in size and require a different back-plate for the phone. But are there any that anyone here knows about that are significantly stronger and still the same size. Thanks for helpful info in advance.

Nope, and if you find any that claim to be they're bogus. It's simple physics that for additional energy content from an otherwise identical battery (same chemistry) it has to be larger in size.
If your OEM battery is truly worn out your best bet is an exact OEM replacement, I'd avoid the "OEM-equivalent" knockoffs as they are generally inferior and may have less actual capacity and a shorter lifespan. Be sure that what you're getting is in fact OEM Samsung, even on Amazon you can end up with one that looks original and has an authentic-looking label but is still fake.
Assuming that battery life is a concern, even without a higher-capacity battery there are things you can do on the phone to extend run-time significantly. This includes lower display brightness, turning off unneeded radios (BT, WiFi, GPS) until you really do need them, reducing the number of apps and services that automatically sync in the background, etc.

Upvote 0
IMO the only way to be 100% certain is to buy it at a local brick-and-mortar store that is an authorized Samsung dealer. I bought one recently for my S5 and I got it at Micro Center, came in a proper Samsung retail package with the plastic case, outer box and warranty insert.
Without knowing exactly where you are and what's nearby, I'd say go to any major electronics store that's around or alternately a phone store that is an actual carrier-authorized franchise and not a hole in the wall. Those are your best chances of getting a genuine battery.
Also look at price- a genuine battery is going to be more expensive than the knockoffs. If it's $5 it's most likely fake.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones