Battery troubles is it rom or kernal?

Last Updated:

1. Kerplunk

Kerplunk Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all, long time lurker here. I've been reading about rooting and the bug bit me.

I installed my first custom rom and kernal yesterday and unfortunately I'm having some battery problems. I left my phone on for 7 hours idle and it only has about 80% left.

The rom i used is BB .4, Kernal is Chevy ULV 1gig

My idle temp is 26c, basic use temp is 36c (browsing, right after quadrant use), is that high?

The usage breakdown is:

Total time on: 6hrs 52 m

Phone Idle: 26% 6hrs 43 min
    Cell Standby 20% 6 hrs 49 min
    LauncherPro 16% 5m 56s
    Android System 12% 4m 32s
    FlipClock Blackout 9% 3m 31s
    Voice Calls 8% 1m 35s
    Display 7% 6m 7s

If it is the kernal then i have to go back to stock right? because ULVs use the least amount of power?

edit: During installation of rom and kernal, i did the wipe data/cache stuff. I also installed a custom boot animation. lots of stuff to do on my first day lol

thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Nicks88

Nicks88 Well-Known Member

You could just try out diff kernels to see what suits your droid best. http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/98988-froyo-kernels.html

Just experiment and tweak settings until you find the sweet spot. Check to see your time without a signal under Cell Standby (I think thats where it is...). Searching for a signal will eat up your battery. 7 hours idling and 80 percent left is not bad, especially if you have widgets constantly grabbing data. I use BB v0.4 with Chevys ULV 1gHz, as well as JuiceDefender (Latedroid: JuiceDefender).

As far as your temps, you are fine. I get up pretty high when bored in class surfing the web. If you are worried about temps, you can set a profile in setCpu to lower your speed when temps get too high. My failsafe is set at 50C and it has never reached that.

3. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Im a little confused. After 7 hours you have 80% of you battery still remaining and there is a problem? Perhaps you meant you only have 20% remaining cause that would be a major problem.

4. MiNdSnAkE

MiNdSnAkE Member

If you could provide clarification on the actual battery remaining amount it would help. I have to agree with OMJ that if you are seeing 80% this seems to be a good thing. If it is actually a low percentage it could be the kernel i which checking the settings would be the first thing to check to second Nicks88.

5. Kerplunk

Kerplunk Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you for the replies.

I can confirm that there was 80% remaining on my phone. I kept reading about other peoples battery claims and thought I should see better results if my phone was just idling.

I am running juice defender (free), Google news widget is set to update every 6 hours, but i do have email sync turned on. Those should be the only data grabbing widgets. Other none data using widgets are: calender, notepad, flipclock, music widget.

I couldn't find the part that said time without a signal in cell standby under battery usage, it only had time on. i guess that means i have good signal :D.

When my phone was 2.1 stock i did a similar test and woke up to 90% but that was without the Google News Widget.

Since my battery levels fall into the expected range I'm relieved if not a little disillusioned.

Now, that my expectations have been brought back to reality (thanks all) i'm going back to stock BB.4 and will post results on battery after 7 hour idle and maybe try new kernels after that.

Are there are any suggestions for which kernel to start trying next? Or should i just start on one end of Chevy, p3 etc and work my way through the 1ghz kernels. Isn't ulv supposed to be the most efficient type ? or does its efficiency depend on the temperament of the phone?

edit: p3 LV 1ghz seems to be the best for me running BB.4. i'm not sure if it is the max but it is good enough. 1200-1400 quadrant , 38c normal usage, 31c idle.