battery usage by android OSSupport

1. philguy1992

philguy1992 New Member

Hi I would like to know if it is normal for Android OS use up 20+% of my battery, as I am new to android I don't know, a friend said it shouldn't take up that much and I might have a bug? Also maps takes up 15-20% and I have never used it. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks. (Galaxy s2)

Advertisement
  2. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me! Moderator

Android System is always my highest usage point too so I wouldn't worry too much. Believe me, once you go searching around you'll find that there are more threads on battery usage and how to fix it, extend it and anything else.

As for the maps - that sounds like something one of the more advanced users could answer. Check out the Galaxy s2 threads too Samsung Galaxy S2 - Android Forums - the individual phones each have their own little things that occur)
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Welcome to Android Forums!

The biggest user of power should be your display. If the OS is using power like that, then there is something wrong. I doubt you have a "bug" but one of the settings might be causing a problem. First thing I'd do is turn off WiFi and GPS and see if the problem goes away. If you are in an area where the signal strength of 3G and WiFi are roughly equivalent, they may be constantly sync'ing back and forth causing the drain.

I only enable the WiFi and GPS when I need them.
  4. BabyBlues

Me too on enabling WiFi and GPS but my system usually reads around 40% and display 14%. :(
  5. thatperson

thatperson Well-Known Member

I may be completely wrong, but are you running a task killer? They are not needed. What it might be doing is killing apps and the OS is restarting them over and over again and that is causing the drain.
  6. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

The display tends to be the biggest power drain on my phone (60-70%). The GPS/Google Maps also really drain my battery.
  7. BabyBlues

If you're asking me - then no. I have no task killer running, i have GPS and WiFi on only when needed. My email syncs once an hour. Brightness set to auto. And when i'm not actively using the phone I have the screen turned off.
  8. heshanj

heshanj Well-Known Member

i have super high android OS usage too.. im wondering if something is wrong, although my display usage is right up there too.. but the OS usage is often around 40-50% i have background/auto sync turned on though..