• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Sorry but for an electrical engineer saying 20W on a 1230mAh is funny to me. Because that number isn't plausible at all... and I haven't had electricity courses for more then 10 years now. You claim a lot of stuff here but can never actually back anything up with evidence.

I actually just realize that you wrote 50 hours with some sort of data-communication constantly on... I personally call that bullshit, or otherwise you're saying that google is lying about the architecture of their OS (which wouldn't make any sense!)

So please make a guide for us to use ATK in a good way and even I will test it (and I advice others to test it too) but I can already tell you now that NOONE
will get 50 hours with data-network constantly on. As far as I know noone has ever got that much out of 1 charge (not even close) with moderate use and data on.

Anyway so if your guide is online and we find 3 people here who get the same results I'll keep my mouth shut and apologize, till then I call it BULLSHIT.

Cheers

As for the 20 watts, I didn't think about the battery at that moment, I just did the calculation with the basis in a plausible number (however, I now realize this might be for a full desktop computer system). So my appologize for giving that wrong figure, I admit it was wrong :).

However, as for the number of hours, I'm just telling what I've experienced. Before I started my test, I could use my phone just like I am now, with data communcations constantly on. I'd charge it over night, unplugg it at 10 am. Then it would last for the whole day, the whole night, and the whole following day before I'd charge it at around 7-8 pm. At this time, the phone would still have at least 15% left (meaning, the phone had not complained about the battery level, and "power saver" mode had not kicked in yet). This means from what I recon, the phone would at least be able to last another 4-5 hours, meaning it could have done 50 hours (as I'm charging it at around 46 hours of usage).

I'm just telling my own experience, and from my own usage of the phone. I admit I'm not a heavy user, but I do use my phone. So I'd say I fall under the category moderate user :)

PS! As for the guide, I do hope people will test it, however, one of the first issues I will take up is the inital conditioning of the battery. If people did not condition their battery on first use, my guide will probably not help them, as my theory (although this I can't directly prove), is that even thought new batteries do not need conditioning to be able to last almost 1 year before changing out the battery, I do believe conditioning the battery does something to its cycle life :)

EDIT: I was very tired when writing this post. I do appologize. My usage usually is for 40 hours, and I charge my phone at around 34 hour mark with at least 15% juice left :)

Upvote 0
However, as for the number of hours, I'm just telling what I've experienced. Before I started my test, I could use my phone just like I am now, with data communcations constantly on. I'd charge it over night, unplugg it at 10 am. Then it would last for the whole day, the whole night, and the whole following day before I'd charge it at around 7-8 pm. At this time, the phone would still have at least 15% left (meaning, the phone had not complained about the battery level, and "power saver" mode had not kicked in yet). This means from what I recon, the phone would at least be able to last another 4-5 hours, meaning it could have done 50 hours (as I'm charging it at around 46 hours of usage).

Maths probably isn't your strongest subject at school... So you charge your phone at night and you can use it the whole day + the whole night + the rest of the following day this adds up to 36hrs!!!! Actually in your example it only adds up to 33hrs.

Upvote 0
Maths probably isn't your strongest subject at school... So you charge your phone at night and you can use it the whole day + the whole night + the rest of the following day this adds up to 36hrs!!!! Actually in your example it only adds up to 33hrs.

Ehmmm yes. I must have written wrong earlier today. I meant 40. Right now I'm just so tired, I'm not really functioning. So I just wrote from "backwards" thinking. My usage usually keeps for about 40 hours, and my example shows it does 34 hours with at least still 15% to go :D

My appologize again. Far too tired right now xD

Upvote 0
Lets just post a couple of links ...

... Why Automatic Task Killing is a Bad Idea | android.nextapp.com ...

"... Non-running applications which are residing in memory also don't use any battery power. It takes the same amount of power to store "nothing" in memory as it does to store "something" in memory. It does however take power to periodically kill running applications. It also takes power for the operating system to react to a condition where very little memory is in use and attempt to preload new applications into it (Android isn't expecting sudden large increases in the amount of free memory). ..."

Here's another ... Task Management | android.nextapp.com ...

"... Process Types The SystemPanel process listing groups applications into three categories: "Active", "Inactive", and "Internal":

• Active applications are actually running at the present time on the device. An active application may be running in the background and not have any information currently displayed on the screen.
  • Inactive applications have been preloaded into memory, but are not actually using up any system resources. Such applications will not consume any battery power whatsoever. The memory used by these applications can be immediately reclaimed should other applications require it. As such, there is no need to manually remove these applications, as you will see no tangible benefit from doing so. As of Android 2.2/Froyo, you may see few-to-no applications in this state. This is normal.
  • Internal applications are those which are part of the Android operating system itself. Some of these applications may be terminated manually, but they will be immediately restarted afterward by the OS. ..."
Oh look. Here's another. What’s My Android Doing With Its Memory and why should I Delete My Task killer?? ....

Hopefully all this "RAM only uses power if it has data" and task killers are a good idea for a Desire HD" can be put to bed!

Enjoy.

Dave

Upvote 0
Lets just post a couple of links ...

... Why Automatic Task Killing is a Bad Idea | android.nextapp.com ...

"... Non-running applications which are residing in memory also don't use any battery power. It takes the same amount of power to store "nothing" in memory as it does to store "something" in memory. It does however take power to periodically kill running applications. It also takes power for the operating system to react to a condition where very little memory is in use and attempt to preload new applications into it (Android isn't expecting sudden large increases in the amount of free memory). ..."

Here's another ... Task Management | android.nextapp.com ...

"... Process Types The SystemPanel process listing groups applications into three categories: "Active", "Inactive", and "Internal":

• Active applications are actually running at the present time on the device. An active application may be running in the background and not have any information currently displayed on the screen.
  • Inactive applications have been preloaded into memory, but are not actually using up any system resources. Such applications will not consume any battery power whatsoever. The memory used by these applications can be immediately reclaimed should other applications require it. As such, there is no need to manually remove these applications, as you will see no tangible benefit from doing so. As of Android 2.2/Froyo, you may see few-to-no applications in this state. This is normal.
  • Internal applications are those which are part of the Android operating system itself. Some of these applications may be terminated manually, but they will be immediately restarted afterward by the OS. ..."
Oh look. Here's another. What

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones