• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery voids warranty?

pappy53

Jan 15, 2010
North Carolina
I just purchased an EVO last week from a corporate Sprint store, then went to Best Buy and bought a Best Buy brand (Platinum) 3500ma battery. I had to get the phone checked today for daily rebooting, and the tech told me that the battery voids the warranty. Anyone know if this is true, as if it is, I will return the battery to BB.

I just purchased an EVO last week from a corporate Sprint store, then went to Best Buy and bought a Best Buy brand (Platinum) 3500ma battery. I had to get the phone checked today for daily rebooting, and the tech told me that the battery voids the warranty. Anyone know if this is true, as if it is, I will return the battery to BB.

I've never heard that before.

If that's the case, what I'd do is just pop the OEM battery in whenever you bring it for service.

Upvote 0
They would have to demonstrate to you how the battery voided the warranty.

From Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions, and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

Upvote 0
I really wish people would quit quoting this. It means very little.....it was the basis that crap warranties we're created from. Read it in detail....and then read your warranty documents. This act is what spurred" limited warranties" not to mention that acts are merely a set of loose guidelines giving no one governing authority much power to do anything anyway. I did a rather lengthy write up picking this apart a few months ago...if I get bored tomorrow I will find the post.
Cliff notes.....htc offered a limited warranty ...which pretty much gives them the right to do what they want
And sprint offered no warranty...they actually don't have to do anything. They just sell htc's product. There are no warranties expressed or implied in the service contract.
As others have posted...if it concerns the original poster pop the stock battery in...or take the best buy battery back and buy a sprint battery (though not oem either...its packaged by sprint not htc)

They would have to demonstrate to you how the battery voided the warranty.

From Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions, and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

Upvote 0
I spoke with Sprint this morning, and the battery does indeed void the manufacturers warranty. But Sprint says that I am still covered by the Total Equipment Protection for which I pay a monthly fee.

Be careful with these batteries if you don't have TEP!

BTW, the Sprint extended battery also voids the manufacturers warranty!

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
Funny. USB port seems to break down after a certain amount of use yet neither HTC or Sprint acknowledge the merits of extended batteries that limit recharging. I have no problem if they can show that EBs caused the problem, but just to say because you use one seems a bit ridiculous.

ridiculous yes, uncommon with any manufacturer...no.

trust me...i have been dealing with it on modified cars for 10+ years.

are they really going to give you crap...most likely not

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones