Battery - when to charge?

Last Updated:

1. microserfs

microserfs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey, I know there's been quite alot of talk on battery life etc and this is not really about tips for extending battery life or such, but what I wish to know is when is best to charge the battery on the Desire?

Sometimes I hear that discharging the battery completely before you charge it is bad for it, and other times I hear its the best thing to do.

I've had my phone a couple of weeks now, and after doing this a few times already (I now charge it every two days) I wanna know whether its better to just charge when it gets low on charge rather than keeping on discharging it before I begin to recharge.

I know the iPhones and iPods benefit from doing half-charges rather than full charges all the time, but what would you say is best in the case of a HTC?

Advertisement
  2. RobbM

RobbM Member

The price isnt excessive for a new one, so i wouldnt worry about it. Id happily and have left it on over night. half charged it and so on. But i would reccomend you give it a couple of full cycles when the battery is new to make sure the best comes out of it. These types of batteries are pretty resiliant being modern and will handle some charging abuse. Gone are the days of Ni-Cads lol.

3. Sypher

Sypher Well-Known Member

I don't know the fine details of battery technology but the simple answer is - whenever.

A while back it was recommended to let a battery discharge and then fully charge to avoid the memory effect but as far as I'm aware that is not an issue with the type of battery in the Desire.

4. microserfs

microserfs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks. It's at around 20% battery now so I imagine it's not a bad idea to charge it since I'm gonna be needing it. :)

I figured it wouldn't hurt these modern batteries nowadays, I know it mattered more in the older battery types!

Luckily I've discharged it fully a few times already so I imagine it should be happy enough now!

5. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

You should not let a Li-ion battery completely discharge. It shortens it's life