Battery wipe? (inconsistent battery drain)

Last Updated:

1. KellyR

KellyR Member This Topic's Starter

Rooted Droid 1, running LFY 1.9 with it's 1ghz kernel, SPRecovery.

Had a weird issue recently; the phone displayed that my battery life was at 40%, then probably ~30 minutes later it was down to 20%. I wasn't using it during that time, I just unlocked the screen to check something. Anyway, I opened my browser and within a minute or two I got the "15% battery life remaining" message, prompting me to connect my charger. I decided I would allow the phone to just die and shut itself down. So I waited ~45 minutes and it went down to 10%, then almost immediately to 5%. I turned on the GPS just to make it drain faster... I watched a one-hour television show and when it was over, I glanced over to the phone to see if it had died - nope, still on. I turned the LED light on, leaving the GPS running for ~25 minutes and it finally powered down. Then I plugged it in to charge and left the room. Came back in about 2.5 hours later and picked up the phone - it was very hot. Unlocked the screen and checked SetCPU and it was running ~135

Advertisement
  2. chachmo78

chachmo78 New Member

I just saw this today, and went to the Verizon store as my D1 started hemmoraging battery power about a week and a half ago. You're situation sounds identical to mine, with the exception that my phone is not rooted.

I went last night to an authorized Verizon Reseller, they told my I needed ATK...which i knew was crap advice since I uninstalled it about 4 months ago with no problems...

I went to an Actual Verizon store today, and when I talked to Customer service, with out hesitation after me explaining my problem, they said they would overnight me a new/refurbed D1...the customer service lady wouldn't elaborate much, but to hint that this is apparently becoming common, especially on the older Android phones, especially since the release of FROYO... This is what I know so far...after tuesday we'll see if a new phone solves the issue...

3. Bunsen Honeydew

Bunsen Honeydew Well-Known Member

Go to amazon and find one of the $5 replacement batteries. I need to do this, my battery life sucks with every rom and kernel.

4. chachmo78

chachmo78 New Member

I actually have done that. My issueissue is the inordinately fast drain... like after typing this my Battery will be out another 10%... and my screen brightness is set to 40%. I honestly wish I could figure out why I am leaking power. If I put these same apps on my replacement phone won't I likely have the same problem?

5. KellyR

Ordered new battery from Amazon, will report back as to how the new one compares.

6. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member

if you are rooted there is a simple solution. let your phone die. charge for a few minutes and reboot into recovery. go to advanced and wipe battery stats. reboot and let your phone charge undisturbed. run it down without charging and then fully recharge.
    i do this every time i find a rom i want to run for a while. your phones battery stats are based around different roms and this will rebuild them around your newly flashed rom.
    this is often the issue but not always. i would try before i buy a new battery.

AMTrombley0924 and oxx73 like this.
  7. KellyR

I didn't have clockwork mod installed so could not 'wipe battery stats'. I went and got rom manager and flashed it though, so I'm trying that now. Charged up the phone and I'm currently allowing it to discharge for the first time. Thanks :)

8. KellyR

Well, I'm not sure if it's the ROM or the battery - probably a combination of the two - I'm still waiting for the replacement battery but I've switched to The Ultimate Droid 1.0 and the battery life is incredible - It's fast and I charged it ~16 hours ago and it's just now down to 5%. Should receive the battery on Monday - I'll check back again then.

9. browntown

browntown Member

I'm going to have to do this. I'm not rooted either but for the past week and a half or so my phone's been draining ridiculously quick. Last night I did a factory reset hoping this would help. I'm doubtful, but will monitor it for the next day or two. Let me know how it goes. Did they send you the phone because it's still covered under warranty? I got my D1 on launch day, so it's been over a year now...

10. KellyR

Still haven't received the new battery yet, but I have been running a new rom lately and also did a battery wipe and the battery lasts 24 hours, give or take :) I'm sure it was a combination of the rom and the battery stats not playing well together. I'll still have to check back later when I get that replacement, though.