• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help batterylife

You could use spare parts and note the voltage of the battery ever hour. That would tell you if its reporting it incorectly or reading it incorectly.

Well, I havn't honestly had the chance to note voltage and percentage values, but my phone is now finally seems to work
decently.
Having read a forum about someone using a nokia charger and doubling its samsung's battery autonomy that way,
I decided to try using my Logitec mouse charger which happened to also be micro-usb.
The only difference between the two chargers seemed to be that the mouse charger had higher Amper output.
I left my phone to charge to 100% and then tried it out a little, and to much disappointment, found that it didn't seem to
change much to anything.
For a reason I can't recall though that night I tried leaving it to charge for a whole night.
I had never left it to charge for too long a time since I have had the phone as I had read that overcharging was a risk to the phone.
That being said, I was too shocked by the speed at which it dropped from 100% percent and imagined that maybe it was due to bad calibration, and thus decided to push it to its limits.
As it were, that changed everything.
The next day, and till now, my phone seems not only to have regulated its decrease (it now seems linear), but also to have
more than doubled its autonomy.
I have left it to charge last night all night, and unplugged it at 7:30 am this morning.
By the time I came home it had only gone down to 54%, and that is with 1 hour music listening
edge all along
a few minutes of calling here and there etc
In any case I now feel that I can spend a normal day out without having to worry about switching on APNdroid to get through the day.
The only weird thing left...is that my linearly decreasing percentage indicator sometimes bounces back up... :/
10 minutes from my home I noticed 54%, and when I stepped in, and looked again, it had jumped back up to 62% ...!!!!
and from there...linear decrease again.
Since then APNDroid is one, that was nearly three hours ago, and I am now at 52% again.
So.... I am happy.., I guess :)
If I can find the time to get the voltages, I will post them here.

Upvote 0
Background data is a way for widgets and programs to offload data gathering to the OS. Instead of the app waking up every hour and opening a connection and grabbing data it schedules it with the OS.

Its a good idea, but in practice, currently, it seems to eat battery. By turning it off you prevent widgets from grabbing data without telling you. Any widgets/programs that don't use background data usually have a settings asking you how often to update. eg weather apps with options for 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours etc.

Market uses background data too, but it tells you when you start it that its off and takes you to the menu to turn it on.

Turn it off, and if its affecting programs, or widgets that you really want then consider turning it on, checking the impact on battery and weighing up if you really need those widgets or not.

EDIT: the main problem with background data is you have NO idea what is grabbing data and easting battery and how often!

Upvote 0
I've read a few times that having GPS enabled doesn't necessarily drain the battery unless you are using an application that uses GPS. Is that true then?

Would the same be said for the "wireless networks" option? From what I understand this gets a very rough estimate of your position from the cell phone towers that you are near? You are obviously connected to the cell towers anyway to get a signal so wouldn't have thought this would really use up any more battery usage?

Upvote 0
I've read a few times that having GPS enabled doesn't necessarily drain the battery unless you are using an application that uses GPS. Is that true then?

Would the same be said for the "wireless networks" option? From what I understand this gets a very rough estimate of your position from the cell phone towers that you are near? You are obviously connected to the cell towers anyway to get a signal so wouldn't have thought this would really use up any more battery usage?

I agree on the GPS not being used unless the app needs it and is active. Assuming devs shut if off programming wise, which most seem to do. The wireless networks option is a big battery drain and I leave that option off. I rely only on GPS, it seems to work just fine, keeps battery life at a decent working relationship to the amount of GPS I need.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones