BB 0.4 (Froyo) freaking out on me

Last Updated:

1. Inphosys

Inphosys Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey folks!

So I used Clockwork ROM Manager to flash on Bugless Beast 0.4, a new baseband and a new kernel (from BB). Things have been great with the my Droid for well over two months! Now, several times a day ... when I turn the screen on, the digitizer doesn't want to detect that my finger is even on the screen (to slide the unlock). Or, it does that, then it starts to freak out and not allow me to enter my 4 digit pin code to unlock it. I touch the 1, it puts 4 1's in a row on the screen, I tap the 3 and it doesn't even register, but a minute or two later it registers then freaks out and puts a dozen of them on the screen. So I use the slide out keyboard to unlock the phone. Then, my home screen doesn't want to respond at all, and when it does, same freak out. The screen starts moving from left to right, icons get clicked that I didn't even touch, the pull down menu gets pulled down, etc. If I reboot, this sometimes solves the problem, but most often the problem still persists for another few minutes.

This all started happening after I tried to use Clockwork ROM Manager to make a backup for me ... because I was dumb enough to get everything installed and working and didn't make a backup then, when I should have! So I went into Clockwork, hit "Backup Current ROM", gave it a name, hit OK ... and then it reboots. Get's to the Motorola "M" screen and sits there for 60 seconds, then reboots again to the Motorola "M" screen, then continues to full boot. I launch Clockwork ROM Manager again to see if my backup is in the list and I am immediately greeted with the error "Recovery Failure", with 3 options to choose from ... Recovery mode is "broken" ... ROM Manager doesn't reboot" ... "Other". It wants me to tell it what went wrong. Needless to say, when I choose "Manage and Restore Backups", my backup isn't there.

So to take you all the way down the rabit hole ... I figured I would flash a new Kernel, just to see if that would help stability. It won't let me. I choose a different Kernel and tell it to install. The phone reboots and a minute or two later I am back to my home screen. I open Clockwork ROM Manager again and get the same error as above.

I still have root privileges. I can open terminal and type SU and it works just fine. I have also run Fix Permission and watched all the CHMOD commands run by back when I first flashed it.

What am I doing wrong here? I'm ready to try out a new Kernal, one of the ULV ones would be nice. But mainly, I want my screen to stop freaking out several times a day. I have even gone through and removed almost all of my apps, just to see if one of them running in the background was causing this problem.

Stats from the "About Phone" page ...
    Android Version: 2.2
    Baseband version: C_01.43.01P
    Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g103d848 android-build@apa26 #1
    Build number: Bugless Beast V0.4

Stats from SetCPU ...
    Min: 250
    Max: 800
    Scaling: ondemand
    Set on Boot: Yes
    Profiles enabled, screen off reduce CPU 200
    No Changes to Advanced
    Info:
    Kernel
    Linux version 2.6.32.9-g103d848 (android-build@apa26.mtv.corp.google.com)(gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC))#1 PREEMPT Wed May 26 18:02:03 PDT 2010

Greatly appreciating your assistance,
    Brad

Advertisement
  2. growler13

growler13 Well-Known Member

I've been having quite similar problems actually. I thought it was just my phone. My phone will freak out when I'm trying to unlock it, and theres been noticeable lag. This is all a recent (2 weeks ago) occurrence. I've also been having problems with it displaying the wrong percentage of battery when in use and charging. The other day I plugged it in and said 60% Charging, and when I checked back a few mintues later it said it was charged. I reset and it was back at 60, then while still unplugged went to 80.

I was gonna flash a different kernel but it wouldn't boot into clockwork. I just got the M and had to pull the battery.

All very odd stuff and being a new occurrence is quite odd

3. Inphosys

Inphosys Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for weighing in ... I was worried that I was the only one! HAHA

I sent an e-mail to Koush, the maker of Clockwork. Hopefully he can shed some light on the subject. Or, if any of the other Droid brains are out there that care to weigh in, I will try anything you suggest!!

Thanks again for all the help folks!

4. growler13

Yeah I was also thinking its a Clockwork problem. I actually found this thread looking for someone else with problems, and to look at RC2 for Cyanogen thinking its a BB problem, as some versions of BB just didn't agree with my phone

5. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

First of all, I would try flashing SPRecovery (or an older version of clockwork, both options are available in ROM Manager) and then reflash the newer clockwork again. It sounds like you just aren't booting into recovery (this is a known issue, no big deal, the method above should work).

As for the lag and generally wonky behavior you are experiencing..is this only happening when your your phone comes out of 'sleep' with the power button and you unlock it? You could try bumping your minimum speed up while the screen is off.

If this doesn't help then I would suggest just trying a different kernel all together.

6. growler13

I haven't had time to flash anything recently but thats what worked for me last time I was having Rom manager issues

I've had my speed set the same on all my roms since I got this phone, and its never had more than slight hiccup every few weeks. Recently its been going haywire. There hasn't been any new apps or changes besides updates. Thats why its such an odd problem

7. jxker

jxker Well-Known Member

Rom manager no longer works for me, i went back to droid root helper (which i had backed up, don't know if it is still available

8. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

It COULD be that your Droid doesn't like the kernel you're using... and that's one I've never even heard of. You may want to use another one. If you can get into Recovery with x+power, you can install a different kernel (or a couple for options) and see if that clears things up. My BB works flawlessly, so I really don't think it's the ROM.

9. StingRay

StingRay Well-Known Member

I have had similar problems as the o.p...

I did have some success flashing an older version of Clockwork (in ROM Manger), as well as flashing SP recovery....only a temporary fix though...

Took me a while to realize that when I thought I was loading a new kernel, it wasn't even loading because recovery was not working....

10. jxker

jxker Well-Known Member

like i said i am pretty sure the problem is rom manager:D

11. notbrant

notbrant New Member

I would try a different kernel

12. cyberclaus

cyberclaus Well-Known Member

I would run Fix permissions again. I had the exact same problem as you, and just doing a fix permissions took care of it.

If that does not work you may want to re-install ROM Manager and run Fix permissions again.