• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root BB 2.1-0.4 vs BB 1.1

Jinnai

Feb 16, 2010
I'm currently running BB 2.1-0.4 w/Live Wallpapers, but wondering if I should switch to 1.1 (or possibly another ROM?). I like the features in 2.1, but it seems to be running hotter than BB 7.5 (on average, about 18 degrees). I'm running at 1GHz, same as 7.5, but wonder if it's the Live Wallpapers. I also really miss the LED notification...anyone have any thoughts? Any help is appreciated...

BB 2.1 has the potential to have Flash 10.1 when they get it working for the Droid.
As of right now I don't think there's really any difference since 2.1 Launcher was removed from the BB 2.1 ROM and Live wallpapers were added to the BB 2.0.1 ROM (BB1.1)

2.0.1 ROM is running Pete's modified Smoked Glass theme
2.1 ROM is running Pete's modified stock theme

Basically all the 2.1 app have been added into BB1.1 along with Milestone apps

Upvote 0
Running 2.1 - 0.4 now on t3hSteve's 600 MHz Kernel. It seems very stable. The only known issue is no keypad when doing a *228 programming.

I tried other kernel's such as AdamZ's 1GHz and DroidMod's latest 1.2GHz, but they ran VERY hot and kept rebooting. Maybe it's just my phone, can't handle the heat.

I will probably be going back to BB 2.0.1 ver. 1.1. I came from 0.7.9 which was flawless.

Upvote 0
the app LEDs Hack in the market got the lights back for me but only when the screen is locked, still no dice when the screen is on though. Irked me at first but I'm used to it now I'll be fine til its fixed :cool:

I actually believe this is a 'feature' of 2.1, since the idea is that if your screen is on, you'll see the notifications in your bar, and not need the notification LED.

By the way, can you elaborate on how you used LEDs hack to 'enable' LED notifications when the screen is off? I just use it to turn off my LEDs when I dock it.

As for the ROM itself, I think it has the best implementation of live wallpapers, perhaps since it's 2.1. While LWP were smooth on DM1.0 and 2.0.1 BB ROMs, I just feel it's overall smoother on the 2.1 BB.

By the way, the 2.1 BB ROM puts out monster benchmark numbers. When I was getting like 9.5Mflops at 1.25GHz on 2.0.1 based ROMs (running all my tasks), I'm getting 10.6 on the 2.1BB.

No temp issues here running Chevy's kernel.

Upvote 0
I've tried BB 2.1 .3/.4, BB 2.01 1.1 (w/Chevy & Adamz kernels), and BB 2.01 7.8/9, and BB 7.8/9 have been the best by far for me...launching apps is noticeably faster, as is return to home, etc. All were OC at 1GHz.

I installed 7.8, and then added the boot image and tiwlan_ko.drv from 7.9, and it's been just great since.

I'm always trying new ROMs, but haven't found one yet that I like better... :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones