• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root BB 7.9...wifi connects, but no internet access!

Redflea

Android Expert
Oct 6, 2009
I'm having an odd issue w/Pete's BB 7.9...

I am able connect via WiFi to home network just fine - connects quickly and I get a proper IP.

However, nothing will connect - email, browser, marketplace, etc...

Everything works fine from my laptop on the same wireless network. Never had any issue w/any guest laptops at my home on the network. I don't have mac address filtering or any other settings like that...am using wpa.

Any ideas? Never seen this happen before...previously I've used my phone on wifi from home it worked, but that's been quite a while, can't remember when/which ROM.

Again - I connect fine to my wireless network, get an IP, but when I try to access anything from my phone it acts like I'm not connected. Go back to 3G and all is fine. Tried going back and forth between wifi and 3g, and it behaves the same way each time...appreciate any help.

<EDIT>

Now it's working...weird. Didn't change any setting. I was trying another ROM (that wouldn't even boot for me - Chevy has a new 2.1 w/working auto-brightness, mute, keyboard lock) and after flashing back to 7.9 now wifi is working.

I hate it when stuff fixes itself and I don't know why...oh well, glass half-full and all that.

Still cannot connect to my WIFI (Belkin N) with any 2.2 ROM (tried every combination of ROM / Kernel / Security settings you can imagine). This is with 3 different Droid phones (gave my Droid "throw against the wall therapy" and was able to get a free replacement). All the 2.1 ROMs run fine. From the research I have conducted this seems to be a problems specific to certain routers and Froyo. I guess it will be 2.1 until I spring for a Droid X or I switch routers (or both).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones