BB curve user upgrading to first Droid - the X

Last Updated:

1. J S Machine

J S Machine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just looking for some things I might need to watch out for.

Really excited about getting the new phone, It seems to be light years ahead of my trackball curve. I've never used a droid phone before, and I don't really know a whole lot about the capabilities and apps. Can anybody suggest a good read for somebody like me given the change I'm about to experience or point me in the right direction for what I might expect?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

This is the first post I've ever moved into the main forum from a sub topic! heh.

3. esn

esn Well-Known Member

You are going to love the X over blackberry. I left blackberry and I am not looking back not after the storm series of devices they have what a joke! Good luck with your new Droid X!

4. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

I got a my droid x last week after spending 2 years with a Curve. It's not just a leap, but like traveling 50 years into the future.

We were traveling this weekend on a long road trip and my wife couldn't stop using my DX for all of her social networking so now she has one too.

I find I'm using it for things I'd normally use a pc for even when the pc is in the room because the voice activation is just that good.

Searching on google, navigating, imdb, wikapedia, etc. All I have to do is speak what I want and it just does it without complaint or error.

5. deekum1627

deekum1627 Well-Known Member

i had bb tour and my wife and curve and tour and we both love the droid x i got mine now she want the x as well even tho i just gave her my droid lol

6. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

I was one of those idiot early adopters of the first Storm and somehow managed to put up with that PoS for nearly two years. I upgraded to the Droid X day 1 and can't tell you how that 24 hour period since taking ownership made me quickly forget about my previous "smartphone".

Seriously, not only is this phone a beast at pretty much everything, the OS is solid...better than anything RIM has developed.

The only thing I truly miss with my Storm, is the email system; that is certainly RIM's main strength. By no means is messaging with the Android OS terrible, but it leaves a bit to be desired, at least by me.

7. luvmynewdroid

luvmynewdroid New Member

I had a BB curve (8330) for almost 2 yrs. Went with Droid X on release date. Went from trackball to on screen keyboard and it wasn't hard to get used to it.

Maybe the only hiccup might be the work email as BB has a totally different email delivery system.

Got mine working the way I like so I'm luving my new Droid X.

Sure you will too.

8. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member

I recently "migrated" to the X (my first Android device) from a BB Curve 8330. Now, the Curve was my first "smartphone", so I was definitely in "awe" of it's capabilities.

That said, here's my take. What the BB does, it does well. Which is not much. It handles email well, and BB messenger (which I never used). It's kinda like comparing an old, reliable Honda to a Lamborghini with all the fixin's. ;-)

The only thing I miss about the BB is the ability to customize the flashing LED (I miss my purple emails, red text messages, yellow FB notifications, etc). But I would give that up a 1,000 times for what the Droid X does.

For me, I never found one "read" that captured it all. Browse these forums, spend some intimate time with your phone....learn all that it does. Do a Google search for "best Android apps"...then let your imagination take you from there. Search the market, play play play. It's all fun where the BB is well, "mundane".

Enjoy.

9. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

There are apps that allow you to customize the LED color for different notifications.

10. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member

Which one(s)? I've seen a couple that are similar (different colors for different email accounts), but that's not what I'm looking for.

11. acoastal

acoastal Well-Known Member

I also came from a blackberry curve to the Droid X, and I definitely have no regrets. I recommend you just regularly visit these forums. There are all kinds of user guides and helpful tips scattered throughout here. Also you will usually find someone has already asked and had answered a question you might have too.

I also was a little disappointed with the default email app, but I was recommended to check out K-9 email. I've been very happy with it so far and definitely recommend that you try it out too.

12. _Aardvark

_Aardvark Well-Known Member

I bought my wife a new curve at the same time I bought the X. I like the BB for what it is: a great messaging phone / email device with some passable smart phone features tacked on. Android is an awesome portable computer with passable phone features tacked on.

What's nice is a lot of people she knows have Blackberries, so she gets a lot of help when I'm not around. With technology, less is more for many people (esp for a lot of us 'older' folks).

13. J S Machine

J S Machine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I also was one of the first customers to receive the Storm when it first released. After about a week with it, I could not stand it anymore. I took it back and got my Curve and that's what I have had since. The two deal breakers for me on the Storm were the click screen and the fact that if I tried to hold the phone with my shoulder my face hit the end call button and killed a bunch of calls.

14. xdroid

xdroid Well-Known Member

The only thing RIM has going for them right now are their business infrastructure tools. You can't really get as much end to end control with any other platform within your business as you can with the blackberry.

The devices themselves are just underpowered and the OS is seriously lagging behind others in the industry.

I rolled out a few 9650 Bold's to a few of my employees and they like them all right as upgrades from their previous storms and 8830's. Within Verizon, BB is still the only viable choice for people who do a lot of international travel. It's either that or a few SIM card enabled Windows Mobile phones (blech). I still haven't shown any of them my X though.

15. MancusoX

MancusoX Well-Known Member

I had the Curve and then the original storm and now the Droid X is my first Android smart phone. The Droid X is the fastest phone I have ever used before and it is going to get even faster when the new operating system is released. The camera takes excellent pictures and records pretty good HD video. I am never going back to owning a blackberry again. The device is so easy to use and I am also loving the screen size. There is also an app for everything that I need on the android market and 60% of them are free.

16. Show

Show New Member

Agreed, I switched from the Storm as well, best purchase I made this year

17. teeno

teeno Well-Known Member

my first android OS based phone.. and came out the cheap trackball. the only thing im missing is the push email.. I really dont know whats up w/ the email on the droid.. it seems to send them way later..

18. sidewalkshoes

sidewalkshoes Active Member

I too switched from a Curve to the Droid X. The first couple of days were rough. I thought I was completely over my head. I basically just lived on these forums, soaking up as much as I could learn.

My main issue was email. Loved my Gmail, but Comcast email was a pain. Loaded K-9 and all is good again.

The main thing is that I don't think I'll ever "finish" this phone. It will be a work in progress for many weeks, probably months, as I continue to find things that it (and I) can do.

Just loaded a wine app that scans the barcode and allows me to enter it into CellarTracker - fabulous! Loaded a Grocery list app yesterday, that I love.

I change my wallpaper daily, because I can :)