BB, new youtube mobile site, HQ, 3G and Wifi problems

Last Updated:

1. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 8, 2009
    HQ videos don't download fast enough on 3G or Wifi! I didn't think too much of it until my friend came over with his new Iphone 4G. I told him about the new mobile youtube site so that he can see the videos in HQ. He was on the crappy ATT 3G network and was able to play a video in HQ without any problems at all. It was downloading about twice as fast as it was playing. I was very surprised. I then tried the exact same video but it just sat there trying to download. It would play for about 2 seconds then stop. It was really bad. I then turned on my wifi, but it did the exact same thing. I restarted the phone, turned on wifi again, did a speed check so I knew that the wifi was working, then tried it again. Still wouldn't download any HQ youtube video faster than it was playing. I'm just really surprised that my overclocked droid (1.25ghz) on the verizon network (or wifi) couldn't come close to keeping up with the Iphone 4 on ATT's crappy network. I kind of feel like something is wrong here so I though I would ask if anyone else is able to play HQ videos on 3G without it stopping. In other words, is it downloading faster than its playing.

2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    I haven't used the YouTube mobile site, but this happens to me all of the time with the YouTube stock app. It just doesn't work well. Even normal definition (non-HQ) videos load way too slowly for the Internet and phone speeds. I think it's just poorly optimized or poorly coded and has nothing to do with the speed of the network or the phone.
  3. Keyser-Soze

Keyser-Soze Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    It's really annoying that a google owned site and a google OS don't work well together.