bb2android newb

Last Updated:

1. arcteryx

arcteryx New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone. I am a totally Android Newb and am getting an Eris today via fedex. I have been a Blackberry user for years and love it, but purchased a refurb Eris from Vzw for cheap just for fun. When I got into BB's a while back I joined a forum and learned a ton from nice people so I thought I would do the same with this.

I have read a lot about rooting the Eris and have gotten some conflicting views. I played around with unofficial builds and such on BB's so I am not new to this stuff, just to the Andriod stuff. What is the consensus...should I, or should I not (at this point) root my Eris. (I don't know what it will come loaded with 1.5 or 2.1) If yes...with which build? The main feature I really want is wireless tethering (wifi) for my laptop (pc).

I also hear that the HTC sense UI can be slow...true? or false? Will rooting this beast fix that problem? A super snappy device makes for a super happy user. I have cruised through a lot of threads and have seen a bunch, but there is a lot of info. Any words of wisdom would be awesome. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

if you want speed, then root. With root, you get overclock, the ability to get rid of sense, get rid of all the system apps that you don't use, ability to move all your apps to run from ur sd card, etc.. all of which make for a pretty snappy device.

3. arcteryx

4. arcteryx

5. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

If you are new to android you may want to try the plain jane 2.1 Its exactly the same as stock 2.1 but with overclock. After that I would try Aloysius snow or Evil Eris or ... oh who am I kidding, go to HTC Droid Eris ROM Site and download them all. Each rom should have its own thread over at XDA so you can poke around over there and see what people are saying about them. You're going to become a flash junkie and thats ok. Just remember do a nandroid backup once you get things the way you like them with each rom. That will make things much simpler to swap back and forth and choose the rom you like the most.

This was my 1000th post!!! Yay!!!!!