BBC News pages w/Flash crashing browserSupport

Last Updated:

1. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Woke up a tad early this morning so rather than get up I thought I'd read the news on my phone (its what its for after all :)).

Problem is, any page on the BBC News website containing a Flash movie crashes the stock browser :(. So, while this and this are OK. This, this and even the mobile help page crash the browser (links included for you to try:) ). No force close, the browser just vanishes and I get returns me to the phone home screen.

I've cleared the cache and cookies and even restarted the phone to no avail (and no, I'm not doing a hard reset :p).

iPlayer pages are OK as is YouTube.

Is this a BBC problem? Is anyone else having the same issue or is it just me?

Running stock browser on LauncherPro on FroYo btw.

Advertisement
  2. philarmer

philarmer Well-Known Member

Try Dolphin HD browser it loads the pages fine. I just tried it out & have the same problem with the stock,

3. Raggy

Raggy Well-Known Member

Yeah I been getting the same problem, started on mine last week. Might try different browser but that is not a cure is it.

Running stock browser and froyo 2.2

4. .ParanoidAndroid.

.ParanoidAndroid. Well-Known Member

Hmm, I noticed this yesterday in the car home last night...was trying to load the page about the Chilean miners, and once it loaded, after about 10 seconds the browser would just crash.
    Happened every time.
    Hrmph.

5. alexp86

alexp86 Member

Try changing the "enable plugins" setting to "on demand" (go to internet, press menu, more, settings).

When ever there is flash content, this stops it loading automatically which speeds up the load times no end. It should also solve your problem with it crashing :)

If you do ever want to view the content, you just click on the little arrow that appears where the content would normally be.

6. Squared1200

Squared1200 Member

I seem to be getting the same issue with dolphin HD. I also don't get the green arrow on BBC pages with video when plugins on demand is set, but I do on other sites. This is the same for both the default browser and dolphin HD.

7. Raggy

Raggy Well-Known Member

That does stop the page crashing but then there is no access to the video at all

8. alexp86

alexp86 Member

Yea it's really odd - you get the green arrow to view the flash content on every site apart from certain bbc news page -perhaps it's a problem their end?

9. Fatwaz

Fatwaz Well-Known Member

just tried all those pages on my desire and all work fine(love the mifi stuff lol).using an unbranded and unlocked desire with 2.2 via dolphin hd browser

10. mancrunch

mancrunch Member

I'm another who's had exactly the same problem for about a week so I changed to dolphin hd and no problem since. Infact I'm quite glad as I love the browser.

11. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks. That works for me. I might give Dolpin a go if I can remember why I uninstalled it last time :)

12. Tó Madeira

Tó Madeira Active Member

I'm having this same problem as well, always with sites with embedded flash, although not all flash sites seem to have a problem. Same as the OP, youtube and iplayer are fine, but the BBC website is a nightmare.

It didn't happen immediately when I updated to 2.2 but soon after. I initially fixed it by reinstalling the Flash plug in, but that only lasted a couple of days.

Really don't want to hard reset but I'm reading that is currently the only way to fix this.

13. Raggy

Raggy Well-Known Member

The BBC page with flash on crashes Dolphin HD as well :(

14. RaivoNaama

RaivoNaama Member

Try this version of flash 10.1!
    I tried installing an "older" version of flash 10.1 that I downloaded from xda dev. forums.. The problem just disappeared! :)
    The flash version on the phone was something like 10.1.72.7 and I "downdated" it to 10.1.68.xx (something, can't remember) At the moment I've uninstalled the 10.1.68 version and the 10.1.72 ver. works without any problem. Guess reinstalling flash gets rid of the problem? o_O

If it doesn't work just go to app manager and uninstall the "downdate" :)

Flash Player 10.1

The attachment doesn't work for some reason.. had to upload somewhere else :)

tef89, Raggy and Tó Madeira like this.
  15. Tó Madeira

Tó Madeira Active Member

That seems to have worked for me (so far) :D

As I said above, initially, just reinstalling the current version of flash worked for a while as well so we'll see if this continues to work, but if so, thanks very much.

16. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

I initially only noticed the crash problem when the browser was loaded via the NEWS app, but now the std browser is crashing whenever flash is present, even when loaded on it's own.

I've d/l the older version and that seems to be working.

17. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

UPDATE:

Nope ... now the stock browser crashes nearly all the time when any page with flash content is loaded.

18. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Have you tested with Skyfire and Dolphin?

19. Raggy

Raggy Well-Known Member

Crashing all the time now on all flash pages, stock browser and dolphin

20. Tó Madeira

Tó Madeira Active Member

[quote="T

21. wraggieone

wraggieone New Member

Hello Peeps

I too am having the flipping BBC news problem, in fairness i've only really been having this problem with articles on the front page or even just the main headline item. Seems very odd to me as i can view pretty much everything else on the site including flash content. BBC are mad tinkerers when it comes to their website's. I previously had issues with the beeb when rockin my old N900, ironically the N900 doesn't have this problem.....but it's an n900 and dont play all my flash video's anymore. not very well anyway.

Every other flash site i've been to works fine, iplayer, cheeky bit of filth (two main stream sites), imdb, empire, totalfilm etc etc.

I did try the flash un/re install ting but it would'nt allow me to install the older version??

I'm blaming the BBC, as this worked last week and still should. The lack of continuity (splet wrong) makes me feel like it's a mess behind the scenes or their not thinking about us poor folks who use their smart phones more often that a PC or laptop.

We pay for all things BBC, and we are well within our right's to be alittle hacked off with them.

Look forward to hering some more thought's on the matter.

wraggieone

22. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

[quote="T

23. alexp86

alexp86 Member

I find that all the links are slightly out of place on the BBC news website too. E.g. when you click on the text of a link the actual hyper-link (the green line) appears slightly above it rather than on the actual text. I don't have this problem on any other website, just BBC news.

Anyone else notice this?

24. wraggieone

wraggieone New Member

Yeah man, I noticed the links being little off, weird!

Typical that the website I visit the most has gone all pair shaped on me..

does anyone know why this would've just started out of nowhere? is it temporary? ie will the beeb stop messin about, or will this be a bug fix kinda ting?

wraggieone

alexp86 likes this.
  25. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

BBC Sport crashes all the time on the stock browser for me.

Cleared all the history, cookies etc etc & it's been OK - so far.